Both sides had the turnout to landslide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:46:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Both sides had the turnout to landslide
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Both sides had the turnout to landslide  (Read 442 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »

Trump'2020 vs Clinton'2016:

Biden'2020 vs Trump'2016:

If either side had gotten these turnout numbers in a "normal" year, they would be able to easily win the EC in a landslide.

As more ballots come in, these maps will become more extreme. Both sides had amazing turnout. Good job America!
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »

The big story of this election that I see very little discussion about, is the fact that Trump won 10 million more votes in 2020 than he did in 2016.

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »

The big story of this election that I see very little discussion about, is the fact that Trump won 10 million more votes in 2020 than he did in 2016.

And Biden will likely get 15 - 17 million votes than Clinton 2016.

Bush 2004 got 12 million votes than in 2000. It's a high turnout election
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »

Lemme just say: you do fantastic work, ProgMod Smiley
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »

Going forward Democrats have big structural problems. This is one of the reasons I didn't underestimate Trump's 2016 win, in a lot of states he got a record raw vote total. A lot of the other state records were Obama 2008, so it wasn't just a matter of population increase.

The turnout in this election was great, really encouraging to see from a democratic standpoint even if it shows real problems for Democrats going forward. Iowa, Florida, and Ohio are all problematic to win going forward for the Democratic Party. The blue wall states are now true swing states and Arizona and Georgia could go either way in the next few elections. North Carolina and Texas are just out of reach unless we have the right candidate. We're at a disadvantage with the 270 map for sure and even huge popular vote wins are going to be produce electoral results that can be mixed or even bad.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:26:34 PM »

And Biden will likely get 15 - 17 million votes than Clinton 2016.

Bush 2004 got 12 million votes than in 2000. It's a high turnout election

There's a hypothesis I want to explore, which is, to what extent did COVID galvanize Trump voters because Trump successfully framed COVID as an attempt by elites in the scientific and public heath establishment to intrude into the lives of "ordinary Americans," causing undue economic harm? If you're outside the Trump bubble, this looks insane, but the best I can tell from talking with rural folk, is that Trump actually did a masterful job of controlling the discourse.

It's possible that if 2020 were an ordinary year, the blue tsunami would still have happened, but there wouldn't have been a red tsunami to cancel it out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies