Minneapolis voted to the left of San Francisco
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Minneapolis voted to the left of San Francisco
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Minneapolis voted to the left of San Francisco  (Read 1494 times)
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »

Looking at the results

Minneapolis- 86% Biden, 11% Trump

San Francisco- 85% Biden, 13% Trump

Tbf, Minneapolis is much more like the West Coast culturally than the Midwest, but wow.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:51:59 AM »

SF has a lot of rich people and has a serious homeless/human waste problem.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:52:07 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 12:55:49 AM by Roll Roons »

I feel like Democrats are probably maxed out in a lot of big cities proper outside the South. Do they really have any room to grow in San Francisco, Manhattan, Chicago, DC, Boston or Seattle? 
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:52:11 AM »

Sign o' the Times
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:24 AM »

Antisocial tech bros
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:58 AM »

Not really surprised...Mpls is quite left leaning.

Do you have list of cities (with poplation >400K) which voted to left of Minneapolis?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »

Looking at the results

Tbf, Minneapolis is much more like the West Coast culturally than the Midwest, but wow.

It's the only way that the math of a seven-point Biden win in MN makes any sense.

MSP is Greater Cascadia. It's East Seattle.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:01:30 AM »

If it holds its because SF is less white.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:12:12 AM »

Lot of tech bros in SF. Also conservative media has been powerful here
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 01:36:51 AM »

San Franciscan (and Californian) voters know that not voting or votong 3rd party will not hurt the Democratic nominee. This influences if and how Californians vote. Minnesotans on the other hand know that their vote holds more weight on the election.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 01:38:19 AM »

Not really surprised...Mpls is quite left leaning.

Do you have list of cities (with poplation >400K) which voted to left of Minneapolis?

This is a good point:

1.) In many parts of the Country we do not yet have access to anything close to final result Totals for Multiple reasons:

A.) It is extremely difficult to sometimes discern actual results by Municipality without access to
         precinct level results.

B.) In certain places, there are still many outstanding ballots yet to be tabulated (Including
         California).

C.) For example, I would not be completely shocked if Portland Oregon ends up to the Left of
         Minneapolis, considering that Trump only received about 13% of the Vote in the City in 2016,
         but have not yet attempted to tabulate preliminary results by precinct yet to establish 2020
         result numbers.

Here are some numbers that I crunched for 2016:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=252085.msg5428012#msg5428012

D.) It appears that there are still tons of ballots outstanding in San Francisco County / City, so I
         would not necessarily assume that whatever numbers were posted will be the final results.

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/returns/president/county/san-francisco

E.) Although I don't know how quickly Minnesota reports and how accurate their breakdowns are
         by Municipality, I get the sense that this is a State which counts ballots extremely quickly .

Got no horse in the race here, but definitely will be an interesting compare & contrast of the the most "Left Wing" City in America once we get a bunch more data points.

I should also note that many "Left-Wing Cities" tend to frequently also have high rates of 3rd Party Votes, so assuming we use "Trump Baseline Numbers", which appears to be the original question might be more accurate.

Definitely would have no problem if Minneapolis voted to the Left of San Francisco (Although I love the City to death).

Just for BRTD in case he is monitoring this thread, here is a cover from the Alternative Music Zine out of Minneapolis back in 1980 (of which he is well acquainted with).   Wink

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 01:40:38 AM »

That may be true. I'd be particularly curious to see the precinct results in Chinese-heavy neighborhoods like Outer Sunset.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 01:41:34 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 01:46:00 AM by lfromnj »

That may be true. I'd be particularly curious to see the precinct results in Chinese-heavy neighborhoods like Outer Sunset.

So far the Asian neighborhoods are at 20% Trump , one or 2 were even 23% I heard.

https://electionmapsf.com/

Here we go Tongue
The Asian areas are south and west and both are at 20%ish for Trump.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 01:44:45 AM »

So far the Asian neighborhoods are at 20% Trump , one or 2 were even 23% I heard.

Here we go.

Yep that's 100% an Asian--specifically Chinese--thing. The white neighborhoods seem to be hovering around 92% Biden while the Asian ones are around 75% Biden.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 01:46:16 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 02:08:06 AM by lfromnj »

Here we go.

Yep that's 100% an Asian--specifically Chinese--thing. The white neighborhoods seem to be hovering around 92% Biden while the Asian ones are around 75% Biden.

Check the south, thats Philippino

There are a few white areas in the financial area with like mid teens for Trump but thats it from what I see though.  The majority Trump's support within SF is probably non white.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 01:57:51 AM »

We still have tons of votes out in the City, but you can always look at the latest neighborhood updates here:

https://www.sfelections.org/results/20201103/data/20201110/dpsov.pdf

Santa Clara County is pretty cool with maps in terms of updates, but again so many votes out...

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/CA/Santa_Clara/106043/web.264614/#/detail/1

Honestly, having played around the California Election Return Rodeo Scene for awhile, I tend to view CA earlier returns with a bit of a grain of salt, especially when it comes to trying to determine broader demographic breakdowns....

Unfortunately, there are quite a few folx on Atlas that get onto their "Jump to Conclusion Mats" based upon early data....

(All present company excluded in all genuine honesty)...

CA be CA and the votes will roll in, certain counties such as Humboldt and parts of the Central Valley typically last to report before Canvassing deadlines.

I suspect we'll have a much better idea in about a Week, especially in the Bay Area, which seems to generally roll a bit quicker than SoCal in reporting....
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 01:58:20 AM »

Here we go.

Yeah SF Asians are mostly Chinese and Filipino. I heard from a high school friend who was living in SF that Excelsior was the Trumpiest part of SF in 2016. The Trumpiest precincts are 26-30% around 101 in the Portola neighborhood, which is on the south side of the city.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 04:47:34 AM »

any city precincts where Trump finished third? I seem to remember 1-2 in Seattle where Stein beat Trump to second, or maybe it was Romney
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 10:18:37 AM by Crumpets »

Looking at the results

It's the only way that the math of a seven-point Biden win in MN makes any sense.

MSP is Greater Cascadia. It's East Seattle.

Me (a Seattleite) showing a young student the province of Minnesota during a lesson on the geography of "Greater Cascadia," c. 2051.

The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »

any city precincts where Trump finished third? I seem to remember 1-2 in Seattle where Stein beat Trump to second, or maybe it was Romney

Trump finished behind Stein in Berkeley in 2016, not sure about this election quite yet.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »

I have...never gotten this impression. The coasts don't own progressivism. A place can be culturally Midwestern and very progressive. We have a long history of it, in fact - longer than the West Coast.

Progressive urban centers surrounded by conservative rural areas is not a Midwestern phenomenon, either. Just look at Portland and Seattle.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »

A lot of California votes are still out , but this is an encouraging sign for Minnesota Democrats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »

A lot of California votes are still out , but this is an encouraging sign for Minnesota Democrats.
Not much swing in these votes. Just random.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 11:07:08 AM »

This.
It’s a shame Asians swung towards Trump because of muh law and order. I gave my own race too much credit.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »

No, not really. For one people still order "pop" in Minneapolis restaurants and it's full of Scandinavian influence.

Still this is awesome! If this holds I'll be bragging about this for four years lol.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies