Any chance Trump is able to remain president beyond January 20th?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:41:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Any chance Trump is able to remain president beyond January 20th?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Any chance Trump is able to remain president beyond January 20th?  (Read 1026 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2020, 10:12:04 PM »

Trump has lost, but seems to be refusing to accept results.  Any chance he gets a friendly judge to overturn results or is able to convince enough states to ignore results and appoint their own electors.  I know odds are very low, but just wondering if even a remote chance of this.  Also any chance Trump refuses to leave White House and how will that be doubt with?
Splash
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:20:14 PM »

0% chance
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:24:05 PM »

It not really looking likely at this point. His behavior is only going to result in Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock winning the Georgia Senate runoffs.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »

It'll be March 2022 and doomers will still be freaking out about Trump/McConnell usurping the Biden White House
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »

Someone on CNN speculated that Trump will set up a "shadow White House" in Mar-a-Lago where they will continue to operate as if they were in power.

I mean, that sounds far fetched, but not really? Given what we've seen in 2020?

It makes my meme somewhat prescient:
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »

He would have to

* Win Arizona on the late votes or a recount (unlikely but possible)
* Win the Georgia recount (also unlikely but possible)
* Either disqualify enough mail ins to win Wisconsin/Pennsylvania outright (almost impossible) or get the results of Pennsylvania disqualified by the Supreme Court (also almost impossible) or convince the Republican PA legislature to send Republican electors (conceivable but incredibly unlikely)

It's possible, but probably under 1% likelihood. Also if he somehow threaded the needle he might be "President" but I'm pretty sure the West Coast would secede if Trump retook power on the basis of a Supreme Court ruling or the Pennsylvanian state legislature.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »

is able to convince enough states to ignore results and appoint their own electors.

Isn't this illegal? Laws allocating electors to the winner of state popular votes were already on the books.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »

Someone on CNN speculated that Trump will set up a "shadow White House" in Mar-a-Lago where they will continue to operate as if they were in power.

That would be very weird, though his government would only be recognized by Israel, Russia, North Korea, Brazil, Poland, Slovenia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and the Philippines if I had to guess.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »

is able to convince enough states to ignore results and appoint their own electors.

Isn't this illegal? Laws allocating electors to the winner of state popular votes were already on the books.

Yeah, a court of nine Amy Coney Barretts isn't going to allow a change in election law after the election has taken place.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 10:46:46 PM »

That would be very weird, though his government would only be recognized by Israel, Russia, North Korea, Brazil, Poland, Slovenia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and the Philippines if I had to guess.

Not Israel. Ben's already acknowledged Biden's win. Saudi Arabia/UAE have too much financial interest in the US to back Trump. I doubt Brazil would either. Slovenia... why because Melania? Russia isn't stupid either. North Korea and maaaaybe the Philippines are the only ones who would recognize Trump.
wildviper121
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 10:48:58 PM »

No way anyone besides pariah states, unrecognized secessionist governments, and island nations  recognize rogue Donald Trump. Countries still need to carry out diplomacy with us; can’t do that if you don’t recognize who you’re negotiating with as a legitimate representative of the government.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »

I don’t find it all far fetched that he would so something like that. Set up his White House in exile in Mar-a-Lago, get Rush’s old spot with an OANN simulcast and do daily addresses consisting of things he tweeted (or would, pending Twitter ban).

Of course, when he attempts to conduct diplomacy or gives orders to military (and he absolutely will, remember Trump ‘gives orders’ by tweeting a thing with ‘I hearby do x’ in the front) or police, he’s officially in insurrection against the US.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 11:08:04 PM »

No way anyone besides pariah states, unrecognized secessionist governments, and island nations  recognize rogue Donald Trump. Countries still need to carry out diplomacy with us; can’t do that if you don’t recognize who you’re negotiating with as a legitimate representative of the government.

Yeppers. Even Nixon stopped recognizing Taiwan as the legitimate Chinese state.

I'm straining my brain to think of who would have anything at all to gain from recognizing a rogue, shadow president with no effective power other than over the right-wing media. Russia loves nothing more than sowing chaos and doubt over the security and legitimacy of American elections. But the access gained by recognizing the actual, real regime is way more valuable than psy-ops.

Russia would recognize the Biden Administration, while simultaneously running social media campaigns shedding doubt on its legitimacy.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 11:08:07 PM »

I don’t find it all far fetched that he would so something like that. Set up his White House in exile in Mar-a-Lago, get Rush’s old spot with an OANN simulcast and do daily addresses consisting of things he tweeted (or would, pending Twitter ban).

Of course, when he attempts to conduct diplomacy or gives orders to military (and he absolutely will, remember Trump ‘gives orders’ by tweeting a thing with ‘I hearby do x’ in the front) or police, he’s officially in insurrection against the US.
Hopefully several Republican Senators such as Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Rick Scott, and Mitch McConnell will join Donald Trump at his government in exile.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 11:25:48 PM »

Whaaaa?Huh

After January 20, he will no longer have any power to do these. He can still tweet orders at the police and military, but so can anyone else with a phone. The men in uniform aren't getting their paychecks from a Trump Treasury Department, so have no reason to listen to him. Foreign countries have no reason to talk to him, as he has nothing to offer other than tweets.

Well, they'd better make sure his passport is revoked at 12:01 PM. It would complicate things greatly if he appeared in Moscow or Beijing.

Hopefully several Republican Senators such as Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Rick Scott, and Mitch McConnell will join Donald Trump at his government in exile.
But they want to receive their paychecks from the US Treasury Department, not a Trump Treasury Department.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 11:36:54 PM »

The UK could be among that group.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »

No.

If he ever puts up a shadow government in Florida then we’re looking into a Venezuelan situation where you have 2 Presidents and other countries have to choose.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 11:41:19 PM »

No.

If he ever puts up a shadow government in Florida then we’re looking into a Venezuelan situation where you have 2 Presidents and other countries have to choose.
Um, no country in the world would recognize that nonsense. Not even Russia or North Korea.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 11:41:23 PM »

Boris already congratulated Biden.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »

Boris already congratulated Biden.

So did Duterte of the Philippines.

But I think both would recognize Trumps shadow government since they’re politically similar to Trump.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:22 PM »

Whaaaa?Huh

After January 20, he will no longer have any power to do these. He can still tweet orders at the police and military, but so can anyone else with a phone. The men in uniform aren't getting their paychecks from a Trump Treasury Department, so have no reason to listen to him. Foreign countries have no reason to talk to him, as he has nothing to offer other than tweets.

Well, they'd better make sure his passport is revoked at 12:01 PM. It would complicate things greatly if he appeared in Moscow or Beijing.

But they want to receive their paychecks from the US Treasury Department, not a Trump Treasury Department.

There is a difference between power and authority. He'll be stripped of his authority, and the top brass will immediately replace Trump with Biden at the top of the chain of command. But military coups are perpetrated by colonels, not generals. If he "tweets orders" to any such officers, these could be construed as a genuine attempt to overthrow the government.

Besides that, up to 11:59:59 AM on Inauguration Day, Trump has the authority to engage in all kinds of shenanigans.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »

About the same chance I have of going to Mars tomorrow.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 11:52:06 PM »

So did Duterte of the Philippines.

But I think both would recognize Trumps shadow government since they’re politically similar to Trump.

Naah. Don't be silly.

There is absolutely zero to gain from doing so. The UK/US relationship is among the strongest in the world: military, intelligence, trade, etc. The Philippines also needs US assistance to strengthen its military against China's expansionism. At the end of the day, they need to be friendly with whoever can actually deliver the goods.

CNN is just broadcasting such BS to milk a few more ratings before my username checks out.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »

About the same chance I have of going to Mars tomorrow.

You could try suing Elon Musk in every jurisdiction you can think of so he'll strap you to a rocket. It would be about as effective as what Trump's doing Smiley
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:34 AM »

Last I checked the countries that officially hadn't recognized Biden yet were Mexico, Slovenia and Nicaragua.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies