2020: If Barack Obama could have run again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2020: If Barack Obama could have run again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020: If Barack Obama could have run again  (Read 324 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »

Now that we know the 2020 result, what do you guys think how the election would have turned out if Barack Obama was eligible to run again? Say the 22nd Amendment only prohibits a consecutive third term. I think he would have won at least North Carolina in addition, but I'm not sure about Florida. I doubt he would have carried Ohio or Iowa, despite winning them twice before.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 02:37:34 PM »

Trump doesn't make his gains with minorities but Obama isn't able to gain as many white voters as Biden so doesn't win Iowa.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:14 PM »

Trump doesn't make his gains with minorities but Obama isn't able to gain as many white voters as Biden so doesn't win Iowa.

Probably about right.

I'm not sure he wins Ohio or Texas though.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:21:09 PM »

Obama loses white voters by an almost 3-1 margin and is only able to win the White House by narrowly winning Michigan.

Donald Trump/Mike Pence 49% 266 EV
Barack Obama/Gretchen Whitmer 47% 272 EV
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »

Obama loses white voters by an almost 3-1 margin and is only able to win the White House by narrowly winning Michigan.

?

Obama got 43% and 39% of white voters in 2008 and 2012 respectively.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »

.............What?Huh??

I'm sorry man but some of your maps just make absolutely no sense to me, and this one is probably the worst. Why would Obama suddenly do massively worse with white voters than he did before? You really think he wouldn't get the same kinds of gains from college educated whites/suburbanites that Biden got? These people largely love Obama now, and still would hate Trump. And how would he lose the popular vote?Huh
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »

.............What?Huh??

I'm sorry man but some of your maps just make absolutely no sense to me, and this one is probably the worst. Why would Obama suddenly do massively worse with white voters than he did before? You really think he wouldn't get the same kinds of gains from college educated whites/suburbanites that Biden got? These people largely love Obama now, and still would hate Trump. And how would he lose the popular vote?Huh

Racism is a big reason why Trump won in 2016, and it would be a driving factor in 2020 too.

Biden might well have gotten those suburban voters precisely because he's a white straight male.

I can see Obama's approvals coming down dramatically if he reentered electoral politics.

That said, it is possible a third party gets some traction here, and scoops up about 5-7% of the vote.

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »

413 minus Texas.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2020, 04:05:08 PM by FalterinArc »

.............What?Huh??

Racism is a big reason why Trump won in 2016, and it would be a driving factor in 2020 too.

Biden might well have gotten those suburban voters precisely because he's a white straight male.

I can see Obama's approvals coming down dramatically if he reentered electoral politics.

That said, it is possible a third party gets some traction here, and scoops up about 5-7% of the vote.

Sure racism might have played a part but Obama himself was broadly popular and the national environment is much more D friendly this year. There is absolutely no reason to think Obama's white vote share would go down, let alone by 14%! And Georgia voting to the left of ME-01 is ABSURD. Trump lost the popular vote to Hillary Clinton, a much worse candidate in a much worse environment, him winning the popular vote against Obama in 2020 is impossible.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 04:17:14 PM by bagelman »

Arguing about a map just distracts all the attention from other maps. Like mine:

EV wise it's pretty similar to OTL, 321-217 (or 322-216, I have no idea about ME-2 and left it blank). However the PV is much better for Obama. Trump wins almost all the close contests, only losing NC. It's a real tragic win for Democrats as OH/IA slip away, TX is ruined by the Rio Grande Valley, and worst of all FL is ruined by the Cubans in a margin similar to 2000. A lot more people were confident in the possibility of 413. However in the end Obama is victorious and Cunningham may narrowly defeat Tillis despite being a worthless little frat boy.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies