Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:32:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340475 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

So I'd say Amanda Chase's odds are pretty good with that crowd.

Why do they even keep the convention system? The only time I can see it making sense is for a special election.

Obviously for political reasons. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

Chase was convinced she couldn't win if it went to convention.  Plus her threat to run third-party I think will not sit well with people either.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »

Chase was convinced she couldn't win if it went to convention.  Plus her threat to run third-party I think will not sit well with people either.

yea, can someone explain this to me? It seems to me that a convention plays to her advantage so why would she have thought it was an attempt to torpedo her campaign?
LtNOWIS

« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

Why do they even keep the convention system? The only time I can see it making sense is for a special election.
The rule is, each party decides on a case by case basis whether to have a primary or convention, at every level of government, every cycle. So in 2020 the GOP had a primary for US Senate and some House districts, but a convention for other House districts.

In the past, incumbents and other power brokers could put their thumb in the scale to choose whatever method benefited them in whatever circumstance.

But in recent decades in the Virginia GOP, there have been a lot of pro-convention partisans in party circles. They advance a few distinct arguments. 

The first argument is that a convention has multiple rounds of balloting, forcing someone to get a majority of the vote. That prevents someone from winning where they are disliked by the majority of the party. The counter-argument is that you're getting a majority of a tiny disproportionate subset of the party, namely people willing and able to travel to some convention hall for this nonsense.

The second argument is that conventions are only for Republicans. With no party registration, any state-run primary would be open to all Virginia voters, including independents and Evil Democrat saboteurs. The counter-argument is that, someone who can win independent votes is actually who you want in a general election, and that Democrats are too busy with their own primaries to sabotage things.

The third argument, which doesn't get vocalized, is that conventions give power and influence to the types of people who can attend these events. These are the same types of people who can attend and win support in the district meetings where State Central Committee members are selected. And if you like these events, a convention where they pick a candidate is going to be much better attended than an event where they only pick party officers and pass some utterly meaningless resolutions. Every delegate can meet all the candidates in person and talk to them. The night before the voting is like a big party, and the serious candidates will have food and alcohol to try to gain favor with the delegates. For a politics nerd it's actually a good time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »

yea, can someone explain this to me? It seems to me that a convention plays to her advantage so why would she have thought it was an attempt to torpedo her campaign?

I got the impression there are a lot of influential people in the party she just does not get along with at all, but I don't know the details.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »

I got the impression there are a lot of influential people in the party she just does not get along with at all, but I don't know the details.
This is my understanding.  It's not necessarily her views that will hurt her, it's the fact that she's pissed off enough party members with influence.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 01:21:01 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

As long as we get rid of the incumbent Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax in the Democratic primary (at this point, it's more important than the general election), I'll be happy with whomever we nominate.  
merleturledge
« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »

Everyone needs to be on the look out for him.  Merle Rutledge answered the same questions that Kirk Cox did from the Virginia Mercury and he's running for Governor.   I would not under estimate him and you can read why for yourself?

\
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »

VA should embrace runoffs for primaries, that way you don't have a bunch of people splitting the vote and leading to a obscure candidate winning
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2021, 12:00:55 PM »

I am planning to volunteer for Jennifer Carrol Roy’s campaign. She’s the next governor VA needs. As far as LT gov goes... tough choice but I think my support is going to Sam Rasoul tho Ayala and Andria McClellan are both great choices
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »

Carter officialy announced.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »

Yawn
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »

Ugh. What are his chances in the primary? I assume next to nothing since McAuliffe is in?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »

Lol. He’ll be lucky to get 10%.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »

I'm excited both to see how Carter's campaign fares and also how its fate gets under-analyzed and warped to fit everyone's prior perceptions of him and the commonwealth.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:08 PM »

Carter has little chance of winning the primary, and I wish he had just stayed put in the House of Delegates where he has pushed for great things (capping insulin prices, pushing for RTW repeal, etc.).
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »

I am planning to volunteer for Jennifer Carrol Roy’s campaign. She’s the next governor VA needs.

Seems like a good candidate.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »

This is like AOC primarying Schumer (if it were to happen) level stupid.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »

Maybe this is a hot take, but I actually think AOC would do better against Schumer than Carter would in this primary. The outcome would still be the same with both of them losing, though.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2021, 12:59:06 PM »

Maybe this is a hot take, but I actually think AOC would do better against Schumer than Carter would in this primary. The outcome would still be the same with both of them losing, though.

Probably in raw % but Carter and AOC would both be DOA.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

Carter officialy announced.
His seat will be flipping anyway.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2021, 01:41:36 PM »

Carter has little chance of winning the primary, and I wish he had just stayed put in the House of Delegates where he has pushed for great things (capping insulin prices, pushing for RTW repeal, etc.).
Afaik he’s still running for re-election.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #197 on: January 01, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »

McAuliffe is paying him to do this and you can’t convince me otherwise.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2021, 02:52:50 PM »

He has no chance in hell of winning. Really just seems like an ego thing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »

That's actually a really good video.

Still a laughably quixotic move.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 284