Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:30:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340410 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »

Probably looking at a Likely D race. I'll predict the margin to be 8 points.

I doubt that the democratic candidate would win by eight points if Cox is the republican nominee, yeah it’s true that in 2017 Northam won by 9 points but the climate should be less dem friendly than four years ago.

If trends are strong enough, which in Virginia they very much are, it's very possible the Dem this year outperforms Northam.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »

On blogs, comments, forums, etc I am seeing a lot of stupid safe R and safe D takes for Virginia Governor 2021.

Why is there is an assumption the state is as a Dem as California? Why is there also a counter assumption that the state will become heavily GOP without Trump in office?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »

Yeah, no. McAuliffe saying he has more experience is neither racist nor a dog-whistle. It's just objectively true. Foy isn't running against the McAuliffe of 7 or 11 years ago. She's running against somebody who has since served 4 years in the Governor's Mansion. If you wanna argue he's had his time, then that's more than fine, but that's a wholly different (& frankly much better) argument than 'touting objective experience is now racist.'
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »

Yeah, no. McAuliffe saying he has more experience is neither racist nor a dog-whistle. It's just objectively true. Foy isn't running against the McAuliffe of 7 or 11 years ago. She's running against somebody who has since served 4 years in the Governor's Mansion. If you wanna argue he's had his time, then that's more than fine, but that's a wholly different (& frankly much better) argument than 'touting objective experience is now racist.'

JCF's statement makes me even more inclined to support McAuliffe. He is not the McAuliffe who barely won in 2013. He was a highly successful governor and imagine what he could do with a Democratic House of Delegates and State Senate.

Plus he poses very little risk.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »

I agree, McAuliffe stating he has more experience is objectively correct and for sure not racist whatsoever. That said, it's fair to point he ran in 2009 and 2013 without experience in statewide or other elected office. But complaining about racist dog whistles is not fair game here and would make me less likely to support her candidacy. I would most likely end up voting for McAuliffe if I were in VA. He did a fair job last time and the 1 term limit is outdated, if not kind of ridiculous.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »

I doubt that the democratic candidate would win by eight points if Cox is the republican nominee, yeah it’s true that in 2017 Northam won by 9 points but the climate should be less dem friendly than four years ago.

Possible, but considering that Biden won VA by ''only'' 10 points and that the state congressional vote was D+5 (closer to D+6 if you take into account VA 9), a double digit dem win seems unlikely.

D+8 =/= double-digit win.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »

Possible, but considering that Biden won VA by ''only'' 10 points and that the state congressional vote was D+5 (closer to D+6 if you take into account VA 9), a double digit dem win seems unlikely.

D+8 =/= double-digit win.

What is your point ??

Northam won by 9 points so if the democratic candidate does better than him by definition it would be a dem double digit win or very close to that
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2020, 11:26:45 AM by MT Treasurer »

^Dude, the person suggesting that he would do better than Northam wasn’t Chips (who predicted D+8), and you literally quoted yourself in that post. I think you meant to quote KaiserDave.

D+8 is a completely realistic prediction, as this is certainly not the kind of state where there’s a large pool of persuadable voters who will flock to the GOP because it’ll be a ‘Biden midterm.’ The Democratic base in VA is very inflexible and tends to turnout even in off-year elections.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

The fairly close house vote in Virginia is a bit concerning but its not like the Democratic Party ran a great national campaign either.

But still what is up with all these takes that VA will become a solid GOP state without Trump in office?

And no matter how polarized we are.. voting patterns will deviate from time to time.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »

I am supporting Jay Jones in the primary over Mark Herring for Attorney General.

For Lt. Gov I have no idea and frankly I have not even looked at the candidates. I would be willing to take more risk in that race though.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »

The fairly close house vote in Virginia is a bit concerning but its not like the Democratic Party ran a great national campaign either.

But still what is up with all these takes that VA will become a solid GOP state without Trump in office?

And no matter how polarized we are.. voting patterns will deviate from time to time.

In 2018, the Democrat in VA-09 got 35% of the vote, but Griffith was unopposed this time, so that probably explains why the House PV was close. Wittman and Cline also won by more.

And I don't think anyone is saying that it'll become a red state with Trump gone, but it's not impossible to see Republicans slightly rebounding. I have my doubts about them winning the governorship, but Lt Gov could definitely be a race to watch.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »

There is no reason statements can't be objectively true and racist dog whistles, FWIW.  Anyone can claim anything as a "dog whistle" because it's based on allegedly racist coding that is absent in the literal contents of the speech.  There is no real defense of "dog-whistling" because the very technique requires a certain degree of plausible deniability, and thus anyone invoking the term is engaging in an unfair smear attack.

That being said, JCF is campaigning as the "woke" candidate so she can be expected to say flashly things like this. 
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »

A future governor Pete ?

Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

If trends are strong enough, which in Virginia they very much are, it's very possible the Dem this year outperforms Northam.

Possible, but considering that Biden won VA by ''only'' 10 points and that the state congressional vote was D+5 (closer to D+6 if you take into account VA 9) a double digit dem win seems unlikely.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »

^Dude, the person suggesting that he would do better than Northam wasn’t Chips (who predicted D+8), and you literally quoted yourself in that post. I think you meant to quote KaiserDave.

D+8 is a completely realistic prediction, as this is certainly not the kind of state where there’s a large pool of persuadable voters who will flock to the GOP because it’ll be a ‘Biden midterm.’ The Democratic base in VA is very inflexible and tends to turnout even in off-year elections.

Oops, yeah I wanted to quote KaiserDave
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2020, 02:38:06 PM »

I thought Carroll Foy would be a good candidate for at least the second spot, but looks like this won't happen. Accusing T-Mac of racist dogwhistles for citing his experience in the job is laughable and makes me support him even more. To the best of my knowledge, T-Mac has good relations with the African American community in his state and his campaign has numerous blacks in senior roles. He should win handily both the primary and general and will be an awesome governor again.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »

Yeah I have to agree.  To say a former Governor touting his experience is a racist dogwhistle is just ridiculous.  I'm undecided but labelling this racist turns me off from Carroll Foy.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »

On FB, Amanda Chase calls for Trump to declare martial law:
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/530291-gop-gubernatorial-candidate-in-virginia-calls-on-trump-todeclare-martial?fbclid=IwAR0elp0taQbxBAP7KBXCE_Q3_55Yj1eNaBAQfNRqM26cFpLPx0y-IOn9oPU

What a f**king lunatic. But I never have faith in VAGOP to do anything smart at a convention. And let's be honest, she'll run as a third-party spoiler anyway.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2020, 04:28:47 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/530291-gop-gubernatorial-candidate-in-virginia-calls-on-trump-todeclare-martial?fbclid=IwAR0elp0taQbxBAP7KBXCE_Q3_55Yj1eNaBAQfNRqM26cFpLPx0y-IOn9oPU

What a f**king lunatic. But I never have faith in VAGOP to do anything smart at a convention. And let's be honest, she'll run as a third-party spoiler anyway.

Yeah, they completely lost it. They're the same joke as the Arizona Republican Party, which could very well end up with the same fate by the middle or end of this decade.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »

Is there a betting line on whether Chase will be the GOP nominee? I think I'd make good money betting she's the nominee.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »

So going by how the VAGOP has been acting as of late she’s a lock for the nomination
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2020, 12:12:20 AM »

So going by how the VAGOP has been acting as of late she’s a lock for the nomination

Yup. And the general election will be a snoozer.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

So I'd say Amanda Chase's odds are pretty good with that crowd.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »

He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

So I'd say Amanda Chase's odds are pretty good with that crowd.

Why do they even keep the convention system? The only time I can see it making sense is for a special election.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies