Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:47:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 339887 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »

Big slap in the face to Herring.

Top 10 Anime Betrayals

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »

So, Herring's bid is pretty much done, right? I remember that he had extremely weak fundraising numbers posted some pages back. The blackface stuff seems to have finished him off, while Northam has recovered because his performance in office is solid. If he was able to run again, he'd probably win reelection (while McAuliffe doesn't challenge him).

Northam is actually a good Governor, so yeah the horrendous affair with the yearbook didn't finish him off.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »

Wait does Jones actually have a shot???
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2021, 01:06:22 PM »

Is it just me, or does Jay Jones give off “future president” vibes?

Maybe, but Virginia is different enough from America-writ-large now in terms of the people you have to appeal to to win that the path will be harder and having a Virginian on a presidential ticket is probably a net negative in the current alignment (as 2016 arguably showed). 
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »

Maybe, but Virginia is different enough from America-writ-large now in terms of the people you have to appeal to to win that the path will be harder and having a Virginian on a presidential ticket is probably a net negative in the current alignment (as 2016 arguably showed). 

Perhaps, but I think blaming Clinton's loss on Tim Kaine being on the ticket is an inaccurate assessment of events.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 03:57:10 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Because as 2020 "arguably showed", having a San Franciscan on the presidential ticket is less of a net negative in the current alignment than a Virginian on the ticket.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »

Because as 2020 "arguably showed", having a San Franciscan on the presidential ticket is less of a net negative in the current alignment than a Virginian on the ticket.

He is a good poster but at times I have seen very strange takes from him.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2021, 12:55:56 AM »

He is a good poster but at times I have seen very strange takes from him.

VPs rarely have much positive effect on the election as a whole. They’re job is basically to just support the candidate and don’t do anything stupid.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »

The VAGOP just can't catch a break, lol.   What a mess.

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2021, 10:20:27 PM »

Why exactly does the VAGOP do conventions instead of primaries? They're the only state party that does afaik.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2021, 10:40:25 PM »

Why exactly does the VAGOP do conventions instead of primaries? They're the only state party that does afaik.

They can do either, but usually they seem to do it to keep their party the same ideologically. Case and point when Rep. Riggleman had the audacity to officiate a wedding between two close friends and employees who were gay the party held a convention instead of a primary and booted him out
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2021, 05:23:41 AM »

Finally, a chance to talk about this race!

Back when Herring was still running for Governor, Jones racked up some major endorsements, including half of the Dem caucus in both houses of the VA legislature, as well as Cory Booker (whose campaign he had worked for in 2020).

In comparison, Herring has only a handful of backers.

Herring rejoined the AG race in December, after Jones had become the de-facto AG nominee. Herring seems to think he’ll be able to walk to a third term. But between Jones’ major support (I never expected Northam to break for him in the primary), and Herring’s scandal, I’d say it’s definitely competitive.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2021, 10:52:52 AM »

Finally, a chance to talk about this race!

Back when Herring was still running for Governor, Jones racked up some major endorsements, including half of the Dem caucus in both houses of the VA legislature, as well as Cory Booker (whose campaign he had worked for in 2020).

In comparison, Herring has only a handful of backers.

Herring rejoined the AG race in December, after Jones had become the de-facto AG nominee. Herring seems to think he’ll be able to walk to a third term. But between Jones’ major support (I never expected Northam to break for him in the primary), and Herring’s scandal, I’d say it’s definitely competitive.

I just think that the biggest hurdle will be the name ID for Jones
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »

So what happens now?  A normal primary?  A fallback convention site?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »

So what happens now?  A normal primary?  A fallback convention site?

The VA Gop will have  a meeting on Friday to determine their nomination plans. It could be anything from a statewide primary (maybe too late) to multiple convention sites to party bosses just choosing the nominees.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2021, 09:50:26 PM »

They must be so disheartened to not have one last opportunity for a superspreader event. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »

Yeah, to the extent Clinton lost because of Kaine it was because he's boring and brought nothing to the table, not because he's from Virginia. 

Although I would argue that if she picked him to shore up Virginia rather than focusing on the upper midwest it's exhibit 1,000,001 of what a poor and miscalculated campaign Dems ran in 2016.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2021, 12:13:42 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2021, 12:20:15 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

This is what one might call 'having too much of a good thing', which works to Terry McAuliffe's advantage, and his ambition to become the next Mills Godwin:

Split opposition boosts McAuliffe's comeback bid in Virginia
With multiple women and people of color in the Democratic primary, groups that typically support those candidates are mostly sitting out the race so far.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »

Virginia GOP agrees on how to select their nominees. There will be a 'remote convention' where voters cast RCV ballots at 37 spots across the state.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »

Virginia GOP agrees on how to select their nominees. There will be a 'remote convention' where voters cast RCV ballots at 37 spots across the state.

why go through all this work not to have a pimary
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2021, 05:33:49 AM »

Irish-American Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-Fairfax) did a straw poll of 700 Northern Virginia Democratic Party members on St. Patrick’s Day, asking their choice for governor, lieutenant governor, and attorney general. Connolly claimed their straw poll “has been often an indicator of ultimate results in both the Democratic primary and the general election.” Here’s the results:

Governor
Terry McAuliffe 40%
Jennifer McClellan 30%
Jennifer Carroll Foy 20%
Lee Carter 6%
Justin Fairfax 4%

Lieutenant Governor
Sam Rasoul 33%
Elizabeth Guzman 18%
Sean Perryman 15%
Hala Ayala 14%
Andria McClellan 14%
Mark Levine 8%
Xavier Warren 2%
Paul Goldman 1%

Attorney General
Mark Herring 75%
Jay Jones 25%

https://vadogwood.com/2021/03/18/connollys-straw-poll-highlights-shifts-in-virginia-governors-race/

In other news, Amanda Chase attacked Jennifer McClellan for being the vice chairman of the Legislative Caucus. Says she is “all for diversity but we cannot continue...”

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/virginia/vp-nw-chase-attacks-mcclellan-leadership-black-caucus-20210316-anp7vpnlzfhslbretzdxkyl6hi-story.html

Glenn Youngkin is coming under fire for sending out canvassers who misleadingly identify themselves as working on behalf of the VA GOP, but in reality work for the Youngkin campaign. In a video, a canvasser asks a voter to provide personal information by filling out a form, but the actual state party hasn’t even deployed canvassers yet. A local GOP official has called for an investigation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/18/virginia-republican-governor-race-477052
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2021, 03:15:27 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2021, 03:19:46 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Here is a fairly comprehensive recap of all the accomplishments by the first Democratic trifecta in Virginia we have had in a generation:

Democrats have controlled Virginia government for two years. Here’s what they’ve done.

With all three statewide offices up for election, along with the House of Delegates, it is worth reading if you are an eligible voter in Virginia and contemplating who to vote for.  And even if you know how you are going to vote in November, you should still read it if you are making up your mind in the primaries. 
butWhyNot?
Rookie
United States
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2021, 09:13:14 AM »

Right now it seems like a guaranteed D hold, but that could still change.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »

As long as neither of the fringe candidates at the bottom of the poll get the nomination, it seems very hard to see how the Republicans can take this back. McAuliffe can sleepwalk to the win and I don't think McClellan or Foy have any obvious weaknesses.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2021, 05:15:06 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2021, 05:19:27 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

When one of the biggest questions going in is whether or not Chesterfield County votes GOP, this is well on its way to becoming a rather boring race.

Margins may be closer than 2017, but no way do I see the outcome changing (And yes I'm aware Carter/Fairfax have a non-insignificant chance of being nominated).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies