If Gerald Ford “pulled a Grover Cleveland” in 1980
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:08:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If Gerald Ford “pulled a Grover Cleveland” in 1980
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Gerald Ford “pulled a Grover Cleveland” in 1980  (Read 783 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »

How would Ford have done in rematch against Reagan in 1980?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »

If Ford could only just barely manage to defeat Reagan in 1976 as an incumbent with the full support of both the centrist & Rockefeller wings of the party behind him, then I have to imagine that he'd lose a rematch that would see those wings split among him & the likes of Poppy Bush & John Anderson.

Now, the more interesting question is whether or not Ford "pulling a Grover Cleveland" would lead the nominated Reagan to actually go ahead & choose Ford as his VP in this scenario so as to unite the party?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:17:35 AM »

If Ford could only just barely manage to defeat Reagan in 1976 as an incumbent with the full support of both the centrist & Rockefeller wings of the party behind him, then I have to imagine that he'd lose a rematch that would see those wings split among him & the likes of Poppy Bush & John Anderson.

Now, the more interesting question is whether or not Ford "pulling a Grover Cleveland" would lead the nominated Reagan to actually go ahead & choose Ford as his VP in this scenario so as to unite the party?
I’d imagine that many, if not all, of Reagan’s 1980 primary opponents wouldn’t have run had Ford “pulled a Grover Cleveland”. Poppy Bush definitely wouldn’t run, and I’d imagine there’d be a desire to consolidate the anti-Reagan vote.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »

I’d imagine that many, if not all, of Reagan’s 1980 primary opponents wouldn’t have run had Ford “pulled a Grover Cleveland”. Poppy Bush definitely wouldn’t run, and I’d imagine there’d be a desire to consolidate the anti-Reagan vote.

Still, even if all of the anti-Reagan candidates unified around Ford, I'm not sure even that would be enough: remember, Reagan had already almost beaten Ford when the latter wielded the not-so-insignificant advantage that was serving as the incumbent President of the United States. By 1980, with Ford not being President, Reagan could easily blame Ford for all of the problems facing America since it had been him who lost to Carter. (That is, campaigning on a message along the lines of "President Ford already had a chance to stop Jimmy Carter, & he lost. We're at least partly in this mess because of President Ford, so it's time for somebody new for a change.")
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies