Question About 2000 VP Choices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:39:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Question About 2000 VP Choices
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question About 2000 VP Choices  (Read 13799 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »

As everyone knows, 2000 was an extremely hard fought, close, and controversial election.

As to VP choices

Is there anyone else Bush could have picked besides Cheney who would have helped to put Bush over the top to a close yet clear win?  Reasons?

Is there anyone else Gore could have picked besides Lieberman who would have helped to put Gore over the top to a close yet clear win?  Reasons?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »

Gore should have picked Diane Feinstein. Or maybe Bob Graham. Bush should've picked Powell.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »

For the GOP, Ridge, Engler, and Thompson were politically better choices.  They probably would have delivered their respective states.

Bob Graham probably would have delivered Florida. Bayh would have delivered Indiana.  Lieberman was a good, if not a perfect, choice.  He brought some distance from the Lewinsky scandal and he appealed to Jewish voters.  Lot of Jewish voters in Florida; it almost worked.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »

Gore should have picked Graham, as he most certainly would have gained at least 0.01 percent of the vote in Florida and thus won the White House; I can't see any state that Graham would have cost Gore. Lieberman was a great guy but didn't really add anything to the ticket in terms of electability.

As for Bush, Tom Ridge would have been the most logical choice, as he could have brought Pennsylvania into Bush's column. Cheney, like Lieberman, didn't really add anything to the ticket other than "gravitas", but I think this was overrated as a factor for Bush.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:56 AM »

Gore could've done better by picking any non Jewish Democrat.

There are still WAY too many people out there who think Jews have horns. It's not like the Jewish vote in Florida would've gone for Bush if Gore hadn't picked Lieberman. But Gore could've picked up a few more anti-semetic votes in Flordia (of which there are plenty) and won the election.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:59:53 AM »

i heard Bush was very close to picking Tom Ridge before he went for Cheney
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

Gore should have picked Diane Feinstein. Or maybe Bob Graham. Bush should've picked Powell.

But a choice of Powell could have cost him the 2004 election, since he's such a hawk and most people thought he'd be replaced.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 09:00:18 PM »

Well however told him not to was a complete idiot. Having a moderate popular swing state governor like Ridge as the other half of the ticket would have probably swung PA to Bush and would have helped him much more than having another Texan, for all intents and purposes, with little political experience in the past 8 years on the ticket.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »

Well whoever told him not to was a complete idiot.

I believe Dick Cheney was in charge of Gov. Bush's VP search committee!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 05:26:40 AM »

Cheney was the head of Bush's "find me a buddy" committee.

On the Dems side I have to agree with JacobTm - I think Lieberman was a double-edged sword - It may have brought out voters in FL (how many MORE did he bring is the question) but frankly I think it did cost Gore dearly in TN, AR and WV - If he had only won TN....

Bush needed gravitas and experience - Cheney was perfect for him.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:34:16 AM »

Nothing is a sure thing, Edwards couldn't deliever Kerry NC.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 10:33:04 AM »

The Bush camp offered the VP slot to Powell and he declined it.  Ridge would have been an excellent choice.  However, perhaps to balance out the ticket like Bill Clinton did in 2000 Bush could have picked a Senator.  Rick Santorum could have been a strong choice or at least popular with some people on the forum.

I think in retrospect Lieberman was a good choice for Gore.  It is an unfortunate (or maybe inconvenient!) truth that a lot of anti-Semitism still exists in the world, however, Lieberman certainly increased Jewish turnout in Florida and ensured the Democratic ticket was appealing to moderates.  However, I think it was a mistake for Gore to distance himself from Clinton.  He should have picked a Southern Governor to bring in his back yard and to show he was still accessible to moderates and conservative Democrats.  Wasn't Zell Miller actually a possible VP choice for him in 2000?  That would have been interesting.  Miller was popular enough to probably help him carry Georgia, Florida, Arkansas and Tennessee and at a stretch Louisiana.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 11:02:01 AM »

Zell Miller running w/Gore?  I don't think so, he is perfect for the GOP because he stills calls himself a Dem but I think he is.  Like Powell turned it down, I think Zell would have too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 01:24:32 PM »

I regard Lieberman as possibly the best political choice for VP for a Democrat since 1960.  There were a number better VP choices, politically for Bush in 2000 and 2004; Ridge was one of them, so was Thompson. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 11:57:56 PM »

Miller would've had to abandon his run for (re)election to the Senate from Georgia if he had been chosen.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »

Miller would've had to abandon his run for (re)election to the Senate from Georgia if he had been chosen.

Why? Lieberman didn't and neither did LBJ.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »

Why? Lieberman didn't and neither did LBJ.

Different states have different laws on that issue.  I don't know the Georgia law, but due to the nature of Nym's post I assume he does.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 07:04:22 AM »

Zell Miller running w/Gore?  I don't think so, he is perfect for the GOP because he stills calls himself a Dem but I think he is.  Like Powell turned it down, I think Zell would have too.

Miller has moved to the right since 2000.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 04:29:15 PM »

I'm in the Graham camp.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »

Miller has moved to the right since 2000.

Miller moved to the right since 1827.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »

Tom Ridge would've delivered Pennsylvania for Bush. Thompson in Wisconsin would've done the same.

Gore would've been better off selecting Bob Graham of Florida.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 09:36:07 AM »

One wonders how American foreign policy over the last 5 years would have played out had Bush picked Ridge instead of Cheney for veep.  The foreign policy Bush ran on in 2000 was fairly isolationist.  But then, with the encouragement of Cheney, Bush picked folks like Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz to fill critical posts in the administration.  Then after September 11th, Bush went firmly into the "neocon" camp.  Without Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz, things might have played out differently.

If Cheney hadn't been VP, would there have even been an Iraq War?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »

Bush was already entangled with the Cheneys and Wolfowitzes from his father. If Cheney isn't VP, expect him to return in some capacity, probably as Secretary of Defense.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 09:47:33 PM »

Bush was already entangled with the Cheneys and Wolfowitzes from his father. If Cheney isn't VP, expect him to return in some capacity, probably as Secretary of Defense.

Chief of staff.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:52 PM »

Bush was also "entangled" with folks like Colin Powell and George Shultz.  In the summer of 2000, I don't think it was already a foregone conclusion that Bush's foreign policy team would be stacked with neocons like Wolfowitz.  Cheney's selection as VP certainly pushed things more in that direction, and Cheney himself being in such a pivotal role in the administration increased the chances that Bush would take us to war in Iraq.  I definitely think it's a possibility that if the particular mix of people in Bush's inner circle had been a bit different, the Iraq War would never have happened.

Oh, and Ridge's name was also floated for Secretary of Defense during the Clinton/Bush transition period.  Imagine if Bush had picked John Danforth for VP (he was one of the big names floated in the final days), and Ridge as Secretary of Defense.  Bush's foreign policy might have turned out very differently.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies