Biden's COVID-19 Task Force
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:23:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's COVID-19 Task Force
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden's COVID-19 Task Force  (Read 833 times)
mark_twain
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »

Just two days ago, Biden was called the winner of the election by all of the major news outlets.

But he has already made announcements that today he will be mobilizing his COVID-19 task force, more than two months before his inauguration next January.

Looks like Biden will be the de facto President, even long before his inauguration, when it comes to COVID-19 response management. Can this be a precedent for future Presidents of effectively assuming power right after Election Day?

mark_twain
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »

Of course, the Constitution says that the President assumes power on Inauguration Day, which is in January.

But this year is a case where the sitting President's COVID-19 policy is basically to do nothing, whereas the incoming President is full of new plans...

Buzz

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 09:33:52 AM by Buzz »

Well a vaccine basically just got announced a week after the election (called this months ago), so hopefully once approved it will get distributed swiftly.  I値l be the first to sign up.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »

Well a vaccine basically just got announced a week after the election (called this months ago), so hopefully once approved wit will get distributed swiftly.  I値l be the first to sign up.
It's still gonna be at least a few weeks before it gets approved.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »

Well a vaccine basically just got announced a week after the election (called this months ago), so hopefully once approved it will get distributed swiftly.  I値l be the first to sign up.

I myself am a supporter of vaccines. I got a flu shot a few weeks ago, by the recommendations of many health experts.

But the flu vaccine and the COVID-19 "new vaccine" are two entirely different things.

In fact, experts from the CDC and other organizations have said that wearing face masks can potentially be more effective than a vaccine. And the adoption of face mask use does not require any specific powers of the President. Only word of mouth and common understanding are necessary to get it done.

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »

Biden's power is still extremely limited. Perhaps he will act as the spiritual leader of the nation, but legally he can't exercise any of the powers of the presidency, so no.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 07:16:31 PM by Calthrina950 »

I myself am a supporter of vaccines. I got a flu shot a few weeks ago, by the recommendations of many health experts.

But the flu vaccine and the COVID-19 "new vaccine" are two entirely different things.

In fact, experts from the CDC and other organizations have said that wearing face masks can potentially be more effective than a vaccine. And the adoption of face mask use does not require any specific powers of the President. Only word of mouth and common understanding are necessary to get it done.

I hope that this isn't an avenue to make face masks permanent, even after the pandemic has ended.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »

Biden's power is still extremely limited. Perhaps he will act as the spiritual leader of the nation, but legally he can't exercise any of the powers of the presidency, so no.

What is stopping him from talking to the governors to help him enact his COVID-19 policies?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »

What is stopping him from talking to the governors to help him enact his COVID-19 policies?

Well nothing really, like I said he could act like a leader in spirit. But he has no power to make them do anything either, so you can't really consider him a de facto president.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »

Well nothing really, like I said he could act like a leader in spirit. But he has no power to make them do anything either, so you can't really consider him a de facto president.

Well let's think of how Trump's COVID response has played out, even when he was actively working on it.

Most of the work has been done by recommendations by Fauci and Birx, and passed on to the governors. The partial stemming of the pandemic primarily resulted from the social distancing measures enacted by the state governments, not the Trump administration. The work done by the Trump administration and Congress in providing monetary aid for COVID has mostly been ignored, and there are billions of dollars of unused funds.

So even though he is just a "spiritual leader", much of Biden's effectiveness in his response will come from whatever recommendations his task force can give to the state governments.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »

I will probably take the COVID vaccine in May or June, which is when I will likely start my job as a paralegal after I complete the paralegal competency exam and finish up with the program I am in.
It痴 so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »

I hope that this isn't an avenue to make fake masks permeant, even after the pandemic has ended.
Huh...the masks themselves seem quite real to me Wink
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »

Biden is stupid and so is his COVID-19 Task Force.

The American Public should be reminded that the Obama/Biden Administration BADLY BOTCHED & BUNGLED the Swine Flu in 2009. Even Bidens former CoS said that they got lucky that year.

A Mask Mandate will never be enforced. It's unconstitutional! Biden can hand out as many Executive Orders as he wants including a Mask Mandate. Republicans can always go to Court and challenge it which I assume they will. Same when it comes to "Shutting Down the Nations Economy" or when to "Reopen it". Biden doesn't have the Authority to do that.

Thank You President Trump & Senate Leader McConnell by reforming the U.S. Court Systems over the past 4 years so that these radicals can't take away our Freedoms.

Given how Trump was treated by Democratic Governors (Newsom, Inslee, Kate Brown, Cuomo, Murphy, Whitmer, Evers, Lamont, Walz) during the Height of the Pandemic March/April/May I fully expect Red State Governors telling Biden "I don't care what you say" and keep their States open anyways.

Undermining the current Administrations Efforts to distribute a Vaccine is tasteless by him.

And Finally: No, Biden shouldn't be given any credit for an Economic Recovery next year. That Recovery started with President Trump in the Summer of this year evident with the 33.1 GDP Growth which came out just before Election Day. The 4th Q GDP Numbers are likely going to come out before Bidens Inauguration + Unemployment Rate will be all but certain now below 6 % from 14.8 in April when the year is over. We're on our way for that V-Shape Recovery President Trump promised.

A Nationwide Shutdown would totally undermine it. I don't want the U.S. Cities become like the big French Cities where Thousands of People protesting every Night because they have a 9pm Curfew.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »

The American Public should be reminded that the Obama/Biden Administration BADLY BOTCHED & BUNGLED the Swine Flu in 2009. Even Bidens former CoS said that they got lucky that year.

A Mask Mandate will never be enforced. It's unconstitutional! Biden can hand out as many Executive Orders as he wants including a Mask Mandate. Republicans can always go to Court and challenge it which I assume they will. Same when it comes to "Shutting Down the Nations Economy" or when to "Reopen it". Biden doesn't have the Authority to do that.

Thank You President Trump & Senate Leader McConnell by reforming the U.S. Court Systems over the past 4 years so that these radicals can't take away our Freedoms.

Given how Trump was treated by Democratic Governors (Newsom, Inslee, Kate Brown, Cuomo, Murphy, Whitmer, Evers, Lamont, Walz) during the Height of the Pandemic March/April/May I fully expect Red State Governors telling Biden "I don't care what you say" and keep their States open anyways.

Undermining the current Administrations Efforts to distribute a Vaccine is tasteless by him.

And Finally: No, Biden shouldn't be given any credit for an Economic Recovery next year. That Recovery started with President Trump in the Summer of this year evident with the 33.1 GDP Growth which came out just before Election Day. The 4th Q GDP Numbers are likely going to come out before Bidens Inauguration + Unemployment Rate will be all but certain now below 6 % from 14.8 in April when the year is over. We're on our way for that V-Shape Recovery President Trump promised.

A Nationwide Shutdown would totally undermine it. I don't want the U.S. Cities become like the big French Cities where Thousands of People protesting every Night because they have a 9pm Curfew.

Shut up Trumpy
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »

It must be exhausting being this effing stupid.
wildviper121
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 05:06:39 PM »

I think there is probably a large overlap between states which mandate public covering of females' nipples and states which refuse to mandate mask wearing.

I wonder, what is the constitutional justification for requiring female nipples be covered? Public decency? Is public decency a compelling enough state interest to restrict someone's rights to self-autonomy?

Now, is public decency a greater interest than preventing the spread of a deathly disease? I wonder, how many hundreds of thousands of people has the female nipple killed?

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »

Trump people lie and lie and lie and lie and lie.

The gravy train is at an end.  Your president was crushed and your reign of stupidity is at an end.

At this point, shouting lies about Biden and his task force is just screaming into the void.  A majority of the country voted for Biden and a majority of country will be able to watch with joy as his task force solves the COVID pandemic by doing all the things the Trump administration refused to do.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 05:20:42 PM »

Unless you're elderly, vulnerable to the point you've ceased to exist for the last 7 months, or work in a high-risk environment (such as a hospital), you'll be low on the waiting list for the vaccination tbh.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »

The gravy train is at an end.  Your president was crushed and your reign of stupidity is at an end.

At this point, shouting lies about Biden and his task force is just screaming into the void.  A majority of the country voted for Biden and a majority of country will be able to watch with joy as his task force solves the COVID pandemic by doing all the things the Trump administration refused to do.
Really? May I remind you that as of now over 71,000,000 People voted for President Trump.
And TBH it isn't so much about Trump losing for me. It's more about how the radical left and Biden himself treating Trumps Supporters.

You know, talk is cheap! I too can make nice speeches like Mister Biden did as President-elect on Saturday. Action is required! We aren't Deplorables, We aren't Chumps, We aren't people bleaking horns as Biden said often. WE ARE REAL PEOPLE and we're not allowing the radical left to take our freedoms away.

Kayleigh McEnany had this to say on her personal Twitter yesterday and I couldn't agree more with her:

I couldn't have framed it any better than Kayleigh did here. Biden claims to be a UNITER but his radical left Supporters are anything but that.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »

You know, talk is cheap! I too can make nice speeches like Mister Biden did as President-elect on Saturday. Action is required! We aren't Deplorables, We aren't Chumps, We aren't people bleaking horns as Biden said often. WE ARE REAL PEOPLE and we're not allowing the radical left to take our freedoms away.

Yes actually, you are.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »

Really? May I remind you that as of now over 71,000,000 People voted for President Trump.
And TBH it isn't so much about Trump losing for me. It's more about how the radical left and Biden himself treating Trumps Supporters.

Kayleigh McEnany had this to say on her personal Twitter yesterday and I couldn't agree more with her:

I couldn't have framed it any better than Kayleigh did here. Biden claims to be a UNITER but his radical left Supporters are anything but that.

Ok, we can just take your welfare away, just take the blue state money away from the red states and let them do real conservatism. Take away money from the welfare queen states!
wildviper121
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 06:17:48 PM »

The gravy train is at an end.  Your president was crushed and your reign of stupidity is at an end.

At this point, shouting lies about Biden and his task force is just screaming into the void.  A majority of the country voted for Biden and a majority of country will be able to watch with joy as his task force solves the COVID pandemic by doing all the things the Trump administration refused to do.

Don't let people convince you you're a victim. When they do that, they can talk you into anything, usually things they stand to profit from.

"Bleeping their horns" -- https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-ugly-folks-trump-supporters-honking-horns-minn-rally
Is this really something you feel victimized over? Someone honking their horn through Biden's whole speech, then Biden saying "Everybody should wear a mask. This isn't a political statement, unlike those ugly people over there bleeping their horns."
Do you remember that when people interrupt Trump's speeches, he calls for them to be beaten?

"Deplorables"--Hillary said half of Trump supporters are "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic." Instead of being victimized by this, shouldn't you recognize that you aren't those things and confront the men latched onto your party and candidate who are? Shouldn't you criticize Republican leaders who do hold these views?

What rights of yours has Donald Trump protected? Your right not to live next to refugees, or Muslims, or Nigerians, Tanzanians, or Burmese--all of whom he restricted from entering the country? The right of mentally unfit persons to own guns--which Trump permitted by reducing restrictions? The right of transgender people to serve in the armed forces--oh wait, Trump banned that. The right of freedom of speech and assembly--oh wait, Trump attacked protesters so he could get a photo op. The right of people to know who is arresting them and under what charge--oh wait, Trump's unmarked agents kidnapped protesters in vans. Your right to have your communications with people outside the country not surveilled--oh wait, Trump renewed government spying of those communications. Your right to have a political leader not influenced by his private business--oh wait, Trump still makes deals with foreign powers to the benefit of his wealth. Your right to have your vote counted--oh wait, Trump wants to retroactively criminalize voting by mail. Your right to life--oh wait, Trump doesn't care about that.

Maybe you are a victim, but if that's the case then Trump made you one.

Something to be wary of.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 07:17:03 PM »

I hope that this isn't an avenue to make fake masks permeant, even after the pandemic has ended.
Huh...the masks themselves seem quite real to me Wink

I made a mistake there. For some reason, my spellcheck didn't catch the errors. I've fixed my post.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 07:31:00 PM by politics_king »

I hope that this isn't an avenue to make face masks permanent, even after the pandemic has ended.

No way that will happen. But don't be surprised if you see people using them more in everyday life. I work at an airport, before the pandemic, a lot of travellers coming in from Asia wear them, safety measure, just part of culture but not everyone flying in did it. Kind of like Amazon's show, Upload about the future and people who die load into a simulation to keep living. Pretty funny show. It did have people wear masks, not all characters did wear them and this shoe came out before the pandemic happened. It'll just become a thing for germ freaks and the rest of us will go to daily living
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 07:41:54 PM »

No way that will happen. But don't be surprised if you see people using them more in everyday life. I work at an airport, before the pandemic, a lot of travellers coming in from Asia wear them, safety measure, just part of culture but not everyone flying in did it. Kind of like Amazon's show, Upload about the future and people who die load into a simulation to keep living. Pretty funny show. It did have people wear masks, not all characters did wear them and this shoe came out before the pandemic happened. It'll just become a thing for germ freaks and the rest of us will go to daily living

I said this myself a few months ago. I fully expect for more people to be wearing masks once this is over, but I certainly don't expect for the mask mandates to continue indefinitely. And speaking of that, Utah's Governor Herbert made them mandatory today, as the situation there has worsened. I saw a report which said that Noem and Burgum are still resisting a mask mandate in the Dakotas.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies