AZ-SEN 2022 Megathread: Mastering the Art of the Thiel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:55:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2022 Megathread: Mastering the Art of the Thiel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 33
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2022 Megathread: Mastering the Art of the Thiel  (Read 45931 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: September 12, 2022, 06:33:55 PM »

Interestingly, Dobbs may have saved Masters in AZ. He has polled a bit better (still clearly behind) since moderating on abortion (and entitlements to a lesser degree).
If the Dobbs affect were to happen in Arizona, it would be benefitting Hobbs because abortion is now handled at the state level not federal, yet it seems that it is not materializing. Masters is running positive ads about himself, while Kelly is on the attack. Almost every time I try to watch a youtube video I get one of the "Blake Masters not for us" ads. There were some positive Kelly ads over the summer but they've disappeared. Masters is not polling good, but I'm hopeful because he is doing better than McSally was at this point in 2020.
No kidding, which is why I think the Dobbs effect is overrated. If it was stronger, Hobbs would be leading by 4-5 points by now because Lake is so toxic

The Dobbs effect has more to do with being a catalyst for Democrats turning out in a year where they otherwise were suspected not to on par with Republicans. If polls are underestimating Democratic turnout and Independents don't significantly go Republican, then the effect could be a savior for candidates who have been narrowly trailing their Republican opponents or locked in a dead heat with them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #601 on: September 12, 2022, 06:47:06 PM »

The Dobbs effect has more to do with being a catalyst for Democrats turning out in a year where they otherwise were suspected not to on par with Republicans. If polls are underestimating Democratic turnout and Independents don't significantly go Republican, then the effect could be a savior for candidates who have been narrowly trailing their Republican opponents or locked in a dead heat with them.

Somehow I have a suspicion that both of those suspicions are quite suspect.

Note the "if." I'm going off of the special election results compared to their polling.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2022, 12:06:50 PM »

Ummmmmm

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1569725634741665792?s=20&t=2Cwf38cPvnLe3gQ8nwGINw
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »

Edgelord gonna be edgy 12.5D chess strategy that elitist out-of-touch liberals could never wrap their feeble brainwashed brains around!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #604 on: September 13, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »

Ummmmmm

Yeah, this has come up a couple times already. Certainly doesn't help BLAKE
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #605 on: September 13, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »

Masters and Oz are DONE they are down 52/37
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #606 on: September 13, 2022, 02:24:49 PM »

OK now I'm convinced he's running because he wants to be famous and for no other reason. This is ridiculous
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #607 on: September 13, 2022, 02:30:47 PM »

OK now I'm convinced he's running because he wants to be famous and for no other reason. This is ridiculous

Seems like this the primarily intention of several Republican candidates, including Oz, Vance and Walker. I'm not reading anything on substantive issues what they want to accomplish for the greater good. Republicans in 2022 haven't much to offer other than fighting culture wars and self-pity over the 2020 election.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #608 on: September 14, 2022, 01:20:54 AM »

Knowing Masters his comments on Social Security is not the thing with 'SS' as an acronym that will hurt him the most.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2022, 05:28:15 AM »

Seems like this the primarily intention of several Republican candidates, including Oz, Vance and Walker. I'm not reading anything on substantive issues what they want to accomplish for the greater good. Republicans in 2022 haven't much to offer other than fighting culture wars and self-pity over the 2020 election.

Can you blame them with the track record of Congress? This one is a slight exception but the political system doesn't do nearly enough to actually solve the public's problems.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #610 on: September 22, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »

This is probably the correct move. AZ-GOV remains a tossup, but Kelly seems to be pulling away from Masters. Masters has not led a single poll, so far as I can tell, since winning the primary. And McConnell, along with his other colleagues in the Senate, don't seem too confident about his chances.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2022, 03:24:14 PM »

An overdue move, really.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »

Personally, while I see the logic, I think this is a slight jump too soon since the election is still like 7 weeks away. A reminder that in 2020, polls in Senate races like AZ narrowed very last minute as undecides made up their and while Kelly still won in 2020, it was by a much smaller margin than most had assumed at this point.

I'm not saying this race will see the exact same trajectory as the 2020 race, but I would've waited another few weeks to see if Kelly keeps holding his lead in the polls. Rn it's tilt D for me.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #614 on: September 23, 2022, 08:21:11 AM »

Personally, while I see the logic, I think this is a slight jump too soon since the election is still like 7 weeks away. A reminder that in 2020, polls in Senate races like AZ narrowed very last minute as undecides made up their and while Kelly still won in 2020, it was by a much smaller margin than most had assumed at this point.

I'm not saying this race will see the exact same trajectory as the 2020 race, but I would've waited another few weeks to see if Kelly keeps holding his lead in the polls. Rn it's tilt D for me.

Doesn't early voting start in AZ relatively soon? Also, Kelly is at 50 in nearly all these polls.
Cyrusman
« Reply #615 on: September 23, 2022, 06:04:12 PM »

So 538 dropped Masters chances of winning yesterday from 22 to 19. Unless I missed another poll all that was released yesterday was a Data for Progress poll showing a 48-47 Kelly lead which ironically is the best poll for Masters so far lol. Yet that alone drops him 3 points. I swear to god, part of me wants either Masters or OZ to win just to Silver can have egg on his face.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #616 on: September 23, 2022, 06:53:16 PM »

I believe the law allows abortions only to save the life of the mother, no rape or incest exceptions (although I'm not 100% certain of this).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #617 on: September 23, 2022, 07:34:19 PM »

So 538 dropped Masters chances of winning yesterday from 22 to 19. Unless I missed another poll all that was released yesterday was a Data for Progress poll showing a 48-47 Kelly lead which ironically is the best poll for Masters so far lol. Yet that alone drops him 3 points. I swear to god, part of me wants either Masters or OZ to win just to Silver can have egg on his face.

I mean, everyone would have egg on their face. Masters hasn't led a single poll.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #618 on: September 23, 2022, 08:10:02 PM »

I mean, everyone would have egg on their face. Masters hasn't led a single poll.

The Red Baron will be fixing that.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #619 on: September 23, 2022, 08:58:02 PM »

You wonder if Hobbs might pull it out after this and even the legislature along with AZ-1,6 are in play. GOP has been a total train wreck here since the spring.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #620 on: September 24, 2022, 12:56:10 AM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2022, 05:10:49 PM »

You wonder if Hobbs might pull it out after this and even the legislature along with AZ-1,6 are in play. GOP has been a total train wreck here since the spring.

I'm still mad at Dems for literally failing to recruit Dems in several state legislative districts Biden won.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #622 on: September 27, 2022, 10:37:58 PM »

Back in April, I made the following assessment of Kelly’s odds:

If Kelly wins (and if he does it will be barely), it’s due to a perfect storm of:
- his own personal popularity/defined persona
- Maricopa turnout and growth (I’s have overtaken R’s here for the first time ever)
- well defined/disliked opponent post primary
- Trump being a drag on GOP officials here more so than most states — the fraudit/election stuff is still what you read/hear about all the time here
- voting by mail upping D midterm turnout  statewide vs non VBM states
- libertarian on the ballot siphons R votes and gets 1%+

We are two weeks away from voting starting, basically October, so it’s time to revisit this post. Honestly, if I were Kelly, I would feel decent right now.

His favorabilities have stayed fairly high despite attacks from the GOP, Trump remains a drag on the state GOP, and the libertarian is poised to siphon 1-2 percent of the vote.

But above all, Masters is super disliked. I enjoyed listening to Longwell’s latest focus group podcast with AZ voters. They hated Masters and found him creepy and weird, with out there positions. There even was a Kelly/Lake voter in the group…

So, I think most of the conditions needed for a Kelly victory are being met right now. If he does win, though, it will be close. I would be surprised if he surpassed his 2020 margin/percentage.

Don’t talk to me about the other statewide races or Hobbs, though… this is the one I feel OK about.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #623 on: September 28, 2022, 07:57:12 AM »

If Kelly wins (and if he does it will be barely), it’s due to a perfect storm of:
- Maricopa turnout and growth (I’s have overtaken R’s here for the first time ever)
- Trump being a drag on GOP officials here more so than most states — the fraudit/election stuff is still what you read/hear about all the time here

We are two weeks away from voting starting, basically October, so it’s time to revisit this post. Honestly, if I were Kelly, I would feel decent right now.

His favorabilities have stayed fairly high despite attacks from the GOP, Trump remains a drag on the state GOP, and the libertarian is poised to siphon 1-2 percent of the vote.

But above all, Masters is super disliked. I enjoyed listening to Longwell’s latest focus group podcast with AZ voters. They hated Masters and found him creepy and weird, with out there positions. There even was a Kelly/Lake voter in the group…

So, I think most of the conditions needed for a Kelly victory are being met right now. If he does win, though, it will be close. I would be surprised if he surpassed his 2020 margin/percentage.

Don’t talk to me about the other statewide races or Hobbs, though… this is the one I feel OK about.

Hobbs certainly got a boost from the abortion ban. If she doesn't utilize that to her advantage and in contrast to Lake, she deserves to lose.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #624 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:16 AM »

Hobbs certainly got a boost from the abortion ban. If she doesn't utilize that to her advantage and in contrast to Lake, she deserves to lose.

She did film a 'don't waste law enforcement resources on this' ad.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies