Would Trump have won the electoral college if COVID never happened (or to a far smaller extent)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Trump have won the electoral college if COVID never happened (or to a far smaller extent)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The popular vote wasn't happening, but what about electorally?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would Trump have won the electoral college if COVID never happened (or to a far smaller extent)?  (Read 1031 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:39:25 AM »

I really could see it go either way given how close the election turned out to be. Honestly anything probably could have won him the election. Well, maybe not anything, but I think a lack of COVID, or a lack of it being a 8 month ordeal could have been enough
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 01:16:25 AM »

Yes, and the popular vote.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 01:48:40 AM »

I think that the popular vote would be closer than 2016, but I don't know if it would be enough. But he definitely would have kept 2016 states plus at least Nevada and Minnesota (his two best Clinton 16 states this year)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 04:05:40 AM »

It's difficult to say. There could have been some other issue or controversy that would have done for him.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 05:00:43 AM »

I'm inclined to say yes. Having said that Trump was trailing Biden even before Covid struck. Ultimately though in light of how close MI, WI, GA, PA, AZ and NV have turned out to be, you'd have to think that Trump would have come out on top in these states w/o the pandemic.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »

I think the backlash against lockdown calls from Democrats hurt Biden's support among black and especially hispanic voters, so it may be a wash on the election result. If you had told me this was the result in February, I'd have believed it.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »

What if COVID didn’t help Democrats as much as people thought it would? There seemed to be plenty of people that were against the lockdowns, and the stimulus certainly worked in Trump’s favor.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »

I really don’t know.  I don’t think there were many changeable voters and notice that Trump’s approval actually went up in the first months of the pandemic.  Him getting the pandemic also kept the tax story from dominating two weeks of headlines in October. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »

Yeah, I'm not really sure.  I think there is decent evidence that he lost some voters he wasn't expecting to (rural and older voters), according to the exit polls, but was it enough to flip anything?  Were those voters turned off by other things he had done in the last four years?  I think he at least maybe picks up a state or two.
Red Wall

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »

Yes because single issue covid voters broke against trump and anti lockdown people were less likely to list it was a priority.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 09:11:49 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2020, 09:20:44 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

I believe most important in this counterfactual is the opportunity cost of COVID taking away Trump's messaging on the economy. One has to think that Trump going into November hammering away constantly with "best economy ever", "lowest black unemployment ever", "brought jobs back to America", "four more years of the greatest economy you've ever seen" would have moved at least some votes, at least compared to his final messaging in real life which was something like "the virus is a hoax, reopen the country."

Even with the crisis Trump had an advantage on the economy over Biden, and it's a large part of why he nearly won despite everything. If growth was still solid in 2020 then I don't see how an incumbent with a good economy loses.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 10:02:22 PM »

I disagree. I think turnout would be lower without Covid but Joe Biden would have narrowly win electorally. the mishandling of Covid probably hurt him but the shutdowns and the culture wars have unfortunately  help him. Most people(not all) were not directly hurt by the pandemic(white collar) but they may have appreciated extra funding from the government along the cares act and lower interest rate. Rent evictions being paused also helped
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies