At what point do you think that Trump might have lost his chance at re-election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:00:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  At what point do you think that Trump might have lost his chance at re-election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: At what point do you think that Trump might have lost his chance at re-election?  (Read 1317 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »

I think the early COVID-19 response and then the high unemployment rate that came afterwards might have did it for him. Plus seeing so many pleasure events (sporting events, conventions, concerts, vacations, etc) get canceled cause of COVID-19 might have had an indirect effect.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »

His response to COVID early on put him on path to lose re-election, but the tear gassing of peaceful protestors so he could have a photo op at a church ultimately is what turned the tide.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 07:56:05 PM »

Hard to tell. Actually I always felt his 2016 election was a fluke, a combination of factors that got him lucky in the EC and that he was never approved. But I'm not saying 2017 here. So not exactly sure.

I'm not sure the pandemic made much of a difference in the end. The likely result almost matches my pre-pandemic prediction, which was 289 EVs.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »

The first debate and then immediately catching COVID. If he had actually taken the time to prepare for the debate and pulled off a clear win against Biden - even while still being Trump - and then capitalized on that positive media attention to do... anything, he might have gotten the game changer he needed.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »

Hard to tell. Actually I always felt his 2016 election was a fluke, a combination of factors that got him lucky in the EC and that he was never approved. But I'm not saying 2017 here. So not exactly sure.

I'm not sure the pandemic made much of a difference in the end. The likely result almost matches my pre-pandemic prediction, which was 289 EVs.

I would’ve said it was a fluke but this years election results and how close it was, kind of made it realize it really wasn’t.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »

I started a thread arguing that the election was already over in late March, and I never wavered from that.  That said, this turned out to be much closer than I expected.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »

At some point in the spring when it was clear he was handling coronavirus very poorly.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »

COVID-19 did not kill him, but it did kill his presidency.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »

Um, based on the final results, it seems he had a good chance until the very, very end. I think failing to get McConnell to agree to a Stimulus bill was when he finally blew it. Had he hammered out a deal, he could have had major positive headlines going into the final week that would have put him over the top in PA, GA and AZ.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »

He lost it like a couple months in with the ridiculous airport muslim bans and other nonsense.  He looked like a mess.  He was unfit from the beginning and his poll numbers dropped accordingly and never went up.
Cali123
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 08:59:39 PM »

Both the Covid-19 pandemic and death of George Floyd which inspired the BLM protests and riots.

As President Trump strong point was the economy and that was damaged when majority of businesses and schools were shut down because of the pandemic. Trump wasn't the outsider he was in 2016 and both his poor response to the pandemic and his sickness to the virus no doubt hurt him.

However, while it did hurt him in the long run, I believe many white Americans supported him because of the BLM protests. While there were peaceful protests, there was also many people rioting and looting where both the governments and sometimes police didn't know much or anything to stop the chaos. As such people upset by the governments response to pandemic became angry with their response to the riots because it showed they were viewed as, well, racists deplorables that didn't care their health or the health of others. And who are "racists deplorables" going to support? Biden or Trump?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »

The first debate and then immediately catching COVID. If he had actually taken the time to prepare for the debate and pulled off a clear win against Biden - even while still being Trump - and then capitalized on that positive media attention to do... anything, he might have gotten the game changer he needed.

Yeah the first debate where he incredibly missed an open goal against an awful Biden seemed like it was his last chance. After that the Covid hospitalisation sucked the oxygen out of the rest of the campaign.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 09:03:58 PM »

Sometime around January 2017
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 09:25:40 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2020, 09:28:54 PM by BaldEagle1991 »

Yeah the first debate where he incredibly missed an open goal against an awful Biden seemed like it was his last chance. After that the Covid hospitalisation sucked the oxygen out of the rest of the campaign.

If the events on my original post pretty much ended his Presidency, those events were basically the stake through the coffin.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »

I still maintain that he hasn't lost his chance until the electoral college meets and votes. I have zero faith or trust left in these people until proven otherwise.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2020, 10:26:35 PM »

Not walking out in a MAGA mask at one of the early April COVID briefings.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »

When COVID first became a major problem. His re-election prospects were always dicey.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 11:40:39 PM »

When states began mailing ballots out Tongue
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 11:49:37 PM »

When Covid began.
RJ
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »

X2

This was a winnable election and he blew it. How many politicians have taken a crisis and were skilled enough to turn it to their advantage?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 12:17:08 AM »

He lost his chance for legitimate re-election some time between being impeached for abusing his office to personally extort a foreign nation into a fabricating smears against his likely opponent, and when he illegally appointed a businessman with an ongoing conflict of interest to sabotage the United States Post Office as part of an attack on our electoral system.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2020, 01:01:06 AM »

The election looks like it will be close enough that you could point to a number of factors. But I think that, looking back on the election, we'll see the absolutely terrible reception to his performance in the first debate as maybe the decisive moment, in part because it was closer to the election than some other important moments.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 01:21:39 AM »

When Trump began, at least as reported, hinting that he may not accept the results if he loses, that gave some of his some of his "softer" supporters pause.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 01:29:14 AM »

I think it was the comment about injecting bleach.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 01:31:13 AM »

#VeryFinePeople was the watershed moment for the suburbans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies