NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:19:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Author Topic: NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction  (Read 42143 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »

Do you think Sununu could have beat Shaheen in 2020? The ticket-splitting was ginormous. I think him waiting until 2022 was the right call.

Definitely not, and waiting until 2022 (assuming he decides to run) was probably the best political calculation her ever made. No Republican was going to win a Senate race in NH in 2020, whether against Shaheen or not. You need some combination of a very favorable environment, pitch-perfect messaging/campaigning, and an underwhelming D opponent to win a federal race in NH as a Republican at this point. Take away even one of those factors and it’s an uphill battle, take away two and you don’t have a prayer.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »

Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me that the Republicans think their best recruit is a guy who just won statewide by like 30 points??? Next you'll tell me that FDR was a successful politician
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »

imo nh votes more r than mo if sununu runs but more d than wa if he doesnt.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »

imo nh votes more r than mo if sununu runs but more d than wa if he doesnt.

Uh oh.  Xing broke his SHIFT key again. 
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2021, 03:07:02 PM »

Obviously, Sununu is a great recruit for them he just won the state by 32 points while Biden and Shaheen Carried the state by 7 and 16. As pointed out by many other users ticket-splitting in a Federal race is much different than a state race. NH isn't a safe D state its Likely at best though in a R favorable national environment Sunnunu won't need that much ticket-splitting to win. Still, if he runs he makes this race a tossup. It's a big If though governors normally don't like becoming a member of a 100 seat body from being chief executive of their state. Even if Sunnunu runs this race is still winnable for the D's they need to make it clear to the voters of the state that if he wins McConnell regains power. We are a long way from the election and anything is possible at this point.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2021, 12:45:31 AM »

Sununu's a strong candidate? Wow! Next you'll tell me SirWoodbury's too scared to leave the forum for a year!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2021, 01:26:12 AM »

Sununu's a strong candidate? Wow! Next you'll tell me SirWoodbury's too scared to leave the forum for a year!

Denying the truth and putting head into sand is, surely, NOT a good politics...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2021, 03:25:44 AM »

The last Change poll had Hassan at 55 percent Approvals
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2021, 06:47:35 AM »

He's not denying that Sununu would be a strong candidate, he's ridiculing Sir Woodbury taking a victory lap and starting a new thread to boast about a banal assessment that everyone already agrees on.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:29 AM »

He's not denying that Sununu would be a strong candidate, he's ridiculing Sir Woodbury taking a victory lap and starting a new thread to boast about a banal assessment that everyone already agrees on.

It's another matter then. I understood it differently...
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2021, 09:04:17 AM »

Similar to Nevada, I have to imagine this race isn't particularly appealing to top-tier GOP candidates, as defeating the Democrat would be challenging in a highly nationalized race even for the best possible Republican (presumably Sununu) in a favorable climate, but do remember that winning would also immediately set him up for an even tougher campaign in 2028 in what would in all likelihood be a far more challenging national environment, not to mention after six years of casting tough and probably unpopular votes, in a state that is for all intents and purposes Dem-leaning.

Sununu could probably be governor for as long as he wants, which I'm sure he knows. No doubt this is going to be a tough recruitment for the national party.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2021, 10:13:23 AM »

Why are we so worried about Hassan, SHAHEEN was in a similar position in 2014 and she achieved 50 percent on Election day and she beat Scott Brown
Shaheen won because Maggie Hassan win the Gubernatorial Election

Molly Kelly is considering another run for Gov she can have the same effect like in 2014

And last Change poll had Evers and Nelson leading and HASSAN at 55 percent Approvals
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2021, 05:40:47 PM by #Neoliberal Elitist Butte »

Similar to Nevada, I have to imagine this race isn't particularly appealing to top-tier GOP candidates, as defeating the Democrat would be challenging in a highly nationalized race even for the best possible Republican (presumably Sununu) in a favorable climate, but do remember that winning would also immediately set him up for an even tougher campaign in 2028 in what would in all likelihood be a far more challenging national environment, not to mention after six years of casting tough and probably unpopular votes, in a state that is for all intents and purposes Dem-leaning.

Sununu could probably be governor for as long as he wants, which I'm sure he knows. No doubt this is going to be a tough recruitment for the national party.

I generally agree that winning a federal race in NH is an uphill battle for any Republican (although that really has little to do with Hassan being some strong incumbent — she isn’t), but I think you and others are seriously underestimating how competitive Nevada will be in 2022. I don’t buy for a second that Cortez Masto (or Mark Kelly, for that matter) will be heavily favored even in a very favorable environment for the party.

Besides, I think Sununu is certainly more skilled than Ayotte at reading his electorate and cultivating an independent/moderate/bipartisan brand. You don’t win statewide in NH by a 2-to-1 margin as a Republican if you don’t possess some major electoral/messaging skills. He also has a history of outperforming his pre-election polling even in D-leaning years, so I wouldn’t underestimate him if I was a D strategist. Joe Manchin isn’t the only elected official capable of that game.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2021, 08:07:06 PM »

I generally agree that winning a federal race in NH is an uphill battle for any Republican (although that really has little to do with Hassan being some strong incumbent — she isn’t), but I think you and others are seriously underestimating how competitive Nevada will be in 2022. I don’t buy for a second that Cortez Masto (or Mark Kelly, for that matter) will be heavily favored even in a very favorable environment for the party.

Besides, I think Sununu is certainly more skilled than Ayotte at reading his electorate and cultivating an independent/moderate/bipartisan brand. You don’t win statewide in NH by a 2-to-1 margin as a Republican if you don’t possess some major electoral/messaging skills. He also has a history of outperforming his pre-election polling even in D-leaning years, so I wouldn’t underestimate him if I was a D strategist. Joe Manchin isn’t the only elected official capable of that game.

SCOTT BROWN WAS LEADING SHAHEEN AND SHAHEEN BEAT HIM IN 2014, HE WAS THE SAME AS Sununu a popular moderate but he will get scrutinized once he enters just like Scott Brown was in 2014, Brown lost as was a popular moderate like Sununu
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »

I don't necessarily think Nevada will be an easy hold for D's - rather I think that the state's top-tier Republicans will be more attracted to the statewide row offices for both strategic (being able to run in a more targeted way against COVID regulations in a state practically wiped by them, among other things) and logistical (not having to run for re-election in a presidential year) reasons.

I agree with you that Sununu would probably be favored in a match-up today, though I do think you're far too hard on Hassan in general. My interest right now is seeing how he navigates the decision between safety or a modest gamble. Alternatively, his foot-dragging could be entirely for personal gain - I'm sure McConnell, Scott, and others will make more enticing promises the longer he holds out.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:10 AM »

Either one Sununu or Ayotte will easily win if this is anywhere close to a normal midterm, NH is no where no blue enough to survive a national R wave and the state is also quite elastic and is prone to wild swings. If 2022 as expected is an R tsunami, there's basically no way Hassan wins unless the Republican has a massive scandal.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2021, 09:42:13 AM »

Either one Sununu or Ayotte will easily win if this is anywhere close to a normal midterm, NH is no where no blue enough to survive a national R wave and the state is also quite elastic and is prone to wild swings. If 2022 as expected is an R tsunami, there's basically no way Hassan wins unless the Republican has a massive scandal.

This is one hell of an overrecation.
R tsunami based on what? A 23 candidate special all-party primary?

Hassan is only in trouble because maybe Sununu and his hold on galaxy brained ticket splitters.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »

Hassan is only in trouble because maybe Sununu and his hold on galaxy brained ticket splitters.

Based on what normally happens in midterms
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2021, 10:24:15 PM »

Sununu won’t make an official decision before the legislative session ends in late June, but several party 'insiders' think he’s likely to run:

https://insidesources.com/hes-running-gop-insiders-see-nhs-sununu-edging-toward-senate-bid/
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »

Based on what normally happens in midterms

Normally happens in midterms?

Did the 2018 Dems, 2010 R's, or 2006/08 Dems literally ATTEMPT A COUP?!?!?!? No, you will not be seeing a 40+ swing like previous elections. Even the 23 candidate primary showed a neutral environment, which is similar to what 2020 was like. The Republicans will likely take back the house, but only because gaining a few seats would do so. Plus, gerrymandering will be less hard on dems since the state legislatures aren't as bad as 2010. 
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »

Sununu won’t make an official decision before the legislative session ends in late June, but several party 'insiders' think he’s likely to run:

https://insidesources.com/hes-running-gop-insiders-see-nhs-sununu-edging-toward-senate-bid/

YEA BOY HERE WE GO!!! COOKIE MAN FOR SENATE!!!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2021, 12:15:29 AM »

YEA BOY HERE WE GO!!! COOKIE MAN FOR SENATE!!!

Scott Brown lost in 2014 whom was just as popular as Sununu a popular moderate, Sununu isn't assured of anything
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2021, 04:48:38 AM »

Lean R flip.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2021, 07:37:49 AM »

Lean R flip.

You don't remember what happened to Scott Brown in 2014, he was a popular moderate and leading Shaheen and he Lost in an R plus 5 and we are in a Neutral Environment as of now, but it can be a blue wave, relax, it's 500 days til Election, Hassan in last poll was at 50% Approvals as n a Change poll
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »

Lean R flip.

You don't remember what happened to Scott Brown in 2014, he was a popular moderate and leading Shaheen and he Lost in an R plus 5 and we are in a Neutral Environment as of now, but it can be a blue wave, relax, it's 500 days til Election, Hassan in last poll was at 50% Approvals as n a Change poll

He was also a carpetbagger running against a more likable candidate. I don't think it's lean R flip at all right now, but if its 2014 conditions then it absolutely is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies