NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31
Author Topic: NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction  (Read 40959 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 09, 2021, 09:52:06 PM »

With Sununu out, I'd move this race from Likely R to Lean R. Most Republican candidates should beat Hassan in this climate, and it would take a spectacular recruiting fail for her to win.

The NHGOP isn't like other Northeastern state parties that are generally able to come up with someone reasonably in tune with the state's overall culture for gubernatorial and senatorial runs. Spectacular recruiting fails resulting in candidates way too conservative for the state's general electorate are a common occurrence in the Granite State.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #401 on: November 09, 2021, 09:58:44 PM »

With Sununu out, I'd move this race from Likely R to Lean R. Most Republican candidates should beat Hassan in this climate, and it would take a spectacular recruiting fail for her to win.

Lol every R candidate trailed Hassan , Hassan is gonna win, I don't know why you keep pushing this Lean R, Cook has D's favored in the S
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #402 on: November 09, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »

Who will be the GOP nominee?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2021, 10:56:40 PM »

I had a feeling he wasn't gonna run. He's very much a traditional fiscal conservative, there's really no place in the federal GOP for him but he's perfect for a libertarian state like NH.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dems have a better chance of holding the Senate than the House.

Who is actually arguing against this very obvious conclusion?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2021, 11:04:16 PM »

No.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #405 on: November 09, 2021, 11:07:27 PM »

Will the GOP nominee be an anti-establishment Tea Party candidate?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #406 on: November 10, 2021, 12:10:05 AM »

I had a feeling he wasn't gonna run. He's very much a traditional fiscal conservative, there's really no place in the federal GOP for him but he's perfect for a libertarian state like NH.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dems have a better chance of holding the Senate than the House.

It's narrowly true imo but it's not as obvious as people make it out to be. They're about the same, if Democrats aren't clearly winning the 'popular vote' then they should lose both.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: November 10, 2021, 12:41:54 AM »

It's narrowly true imo but it's not as obvious as people make it out to be. They're about the same, if Democrats aren't clearly winning the 'popular vote' then they should lose both.

Obviously, D's will hold the Senate their path is WI, PA, GA the 304 route whereas the H depends on Gerrymandering, the D's lost the H and kept the Senate in 2010/12 and Trump lost the H and kept the S in 2028, but D's can win a narrow majority 222/316 DH and a 63/48 OJ isn't forgone conclusion because Mandel is only tied with ,Ryan
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #408 on: November 10, 2021, 12:48:32 AM »

Will the GOP nominee be an anti-establishment Tea Party candidate?
Yes to the anti-establishment, no to the Tea Party. The likely nominee is Donald Bolduc, a Qanon-supporting Trumpist.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #409 on: November 10, 2021, 01:47:32 AM »

Have you guys considered the possibility that Mitch McConnell is just... an asshole?

I might be biased, but McConnell was arguably the most polarizing, and personally unpleasant, Majority Leader in recent memory. It's also possible that Sununu just doesn't want to get involved in national politics with an even more polarizing ex-president looming over his party.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 10, 2021, 03:39:28 AM »

It’s not that difficult, honestly. Any Republican candidate needs to keep losses among NH women to low double digits while winning over nearly all the persuadable male voters in order to just barely get over the top statewide — that, combined with record R base turnout, only gets you a narrow win in the NH of today. The type of male Republican most likely to accomplish this (especially against a D female incumbent) is reserved, "knows his place," doesn’t make any conspicuously gender-based appeals/categorically refuses to engage in identity politics tailored to a predominantly male audience, keeps his head down, and basically brands himself as a non-ideological, compassionate citizen who only reaches his most important decisions after listening to the counsel of his wive (and daughter). By contrast, people like Scott Brown, Donald Trump, Don Bolduc, Corky Messner, Paul Hodes, and other assertive, confrontational, male 'machismo' candidates who literally or metaphorically step into the female comfort zone/safe space and think they can set the tone inevitably end up getting rejected in a humiliating fashion by said D female candidates and the kind of female voter base that endorses/celebrates/actively contributes to this resounding rejection. We’ve seen this movie before and know how this story ends, and there’s not much reason to believe it will be any different with Bolduc (or Lewandowski, LOL). If the Republican goal in NH is "supercharged gender polarization", i.e., aiming for R margins among NH men that exceed the D margins among NH women, then good luck — there’s a good 43%-44% of NH men, many of them oppressed in a very one-sided relationship, many of them socially liberal, many of them single, who will gladly join the female-driven humiliation of the type of man they are not/cannot be (think of them as the Chris Pappases of NH). This really just boils down to simple psychology, and it has been observable in just about every NH race since 2006 — the Shaheen campaign knows how to exploit these anxieties better than anyone else, and Ayotte was one of the very few Republicans to benefit from them in 2010. Also, every time we think Republicans have finally 'bottomed out' among NH women, they keep sinking to new lows with this demographic. There was a poll last year which showed Shaheen leading Messner 70-26 among NH women even as Messner was (very narrowly) leading her among NH men, and that’s probably the future we’re headed for (not in 2022, but sooner than we’d like). The bottom line is that betting on NH men to somehow outvote NH women in a federal race involving candidates like Hassan or Bolduc is... bold.

My guess as to the realistic range of outcomes in this race, with the GOP best-case scenario on the left and the DEM best-case scenario on the right:

NH women (52-53%): 59-41 Hassan / 65-35 Hassan
NH men (47-48%): 56-44 Bolduc / 52-48 Bolduc

Olawakandi is right: Sununu was able to win in 2018 because he had a fairly large cushion in his race against Molly Kelly, which allowed him to withstand the inevitable losses among NH women in the final weeks/months of the campaign and the predictable consolidation of "undecided" NH women around Molly Kelly. I don’t think we’ll ever even be entertaining any "cushions" in the case of Bolduc, Messner, Lewandowski, etc.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:08 AM »

It’s not that difficult, honestly. Any Republican candidate needs to keep losses among NH women to low double digits while winning over nearly all the persuadable male voters in order to just barely get over the top statewide — that, combined with record R base turnout, only gets you a narrow win in the NH of today. The type of male Republican most likely to accomplish this (especially against a D female incumbent) is reserved, "knows his place," doesn’t make any conspicuously gender-based appeals/categorically refuses to engage in identity politics tailored to a predominantly male audience, keeps his head down, and basically brands himself as a non-ideological, compassionate citizen who only reaches his most important decisions after listening to the counsel of his wive (and daughter). By contrast, people like Scott Brown, Donald Trump, Don Bolduc, Corky Messner, Paul Hodes, and other assertive, confrontational, male 'machismo' candidates who literally or metaphorically step into the female comfort zone/safe space and think they can set the tone inevitably end up getting rejected in a humiliating fashion by said D female candidates and the kind of female voter base that endorses/celebrates/actively contributes to this resounding rejection. We’ve seen this movie before and know how this story ends, and there’s not much reason to believe it will be any different with Bolduc (or Lewandowski, LOL). If the Republican goal in NH is "supercharged gender polarization", i.e., aiming for R margins among NH men that exceed the D margins among NH women, then good luck — there’s a good 43%-44% of NH men, many of them oppressed in a very one-sided relationship, many of them socially liberal, many of them single, who will gladly join the female-driven humiliation of the type of man they are not/cannot be (think of them as the Chris Pappases of NH). This really just boils down to simple psychology, and it has been observable in just about every NH race since 2006 — the Shaheen campaign knows how to exploit these anxieties better than anyone else, and Ayotte was one of the very few Republicans to benefit from them in 2010. Also, every time we think Republicans have finally 'bottomed out' among NH women, they keep sinking to new lows with this demographic. There was a poll last year which showed Shaheen leading Messner 70-26 among NH women even as Messner was (very narrowly) leading her among NH men, and that’s probably the future we’re headed for (not in 2022, but sooner than we’d like). The bottom line is that betting on NH men to somehow outvote NH women in a federal race involving candidates like Hassan or Bolduc is... bold.

My guess as to the realistic range of outcomes in this race, with the GOP best-case scenario on the left and the DEM best-case scenario on the right:

Olawakandi is right: Sununu was able to win in 2018 because he had a fairly large cushion in his race against Molly Kelly, which allowed him to withstand the inevitable losses among NH women in the final weeks/months of the campaign and the predictable consolidation of "undecided" NH women around Molly Kelly. I don’t think we’ll ever even be entertaining any "cushions" in the case of Bolduc, Messner, Lewandowski, etc.
Then how did Trump get so close to winning in 2016?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2021, 06:11:32 AM »

DC STATEHOOD TOOK A BIG JUMP THIS WEEK BECAUSE WITH INSURRECTIONISTS COMMISSION AND Sununu declining to run a 222/216 D H and a 53/47 Senate due to Josh Mandel not a sure thing in OH, Ryan should best him or JD Vance

BEASLEY ABD DEMINGS ARE UNDERDOGS BUDEN IS AT 34 PERCENT IN NC the only way we win NC is Jeff Jackson, he is like Tim Ryan, all Ryaj has to do is keep OH close not lose by 10 and he's doing that
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 11:15:33 AM by TML »

Then how did Trump get so close to winning in 2016?

Exit polls from 2016 indicated that Trump won men in NH (48% of the NH electorate) 53-40, while Clinton won women in NH (52% of the electorate) 54-41 - essentially an even split. On the other hand, in 2020 Trump's margin among men (47% of the NH electorate) shrank to 52-47, while Biden increased the Democratic margin among women (53% of the NH electorate) to 58-40. Remember that Clinton was very unpopular in 2016 (which allowed Trump to do as well as he did) but Biden didn't suffer from the same degree of unpopularity that Clinton did.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »

The type of male Republican most likely to accomplish this (especially against a D female incumbent) is reserved, "knows his place," doesn’t make any conspicuously gender-based appeals/categorically refuses to engage in identity politics tailored to a predominantly male audience, keeps his head down, and basically brands himself as a non-ideological, compassionate citizen who only reaches his most important decisions after listening to the counsel of his wive (and daughter). By contrast, people like Scott Brown, Donald Trump, Don Bolduc, Corky Messner, Paul Hodes, and other assertive, confrontational, male 'machismo' candidates who literally or metaphorically step into the female comfort zone/safe space and think they can set the tone inevitably end up getting rejected in a humiliating fashion by said D female candidates and the kind of female voter base that endorses/celebrates/actively contributes to this resounding rejection. We’ve seen this movie before and know how this story ends, and there’s not much reason to believe it will be any different with Bolduc (or Lewandowski, LOL). If the Republican goal in NH is "supercharged gender polarization", i.e., aiming for R margins among NH men that exceed the D margins among NH women, then good luck — there’s a good 43%-44% of NH men, many of them oppressed in a very one-sided relationship, many of them socially liberal, many of them single, who will gladly join the female-driven humiliation of the type of man they are not/cannot be (think of them as the Chris Pappases of NH). This really just boils down to simple psychology

This just reads like broscience dude, especially the bolded.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 03:20:07 PM by S019 »

The gender gap is really not the main obstacle to NH Republicans, the education divide matters way more. College educated men vote to the left of non-college educated women. I mean let's just consider that Trump in 2020 only won white men in NH by 5, I don't care where you're running, if you're putting up those kinds of numbers and losing college white men by like 16, you're going to lose. The Republican path does not lie in making inroads among men, it lies in making inroads among college educated men and women alike to reduce the degree of education polarization, which hurts them disproportionately in states like New Hampshire. Also olawakandi is never right, he's a clueless bot who just spouts mad libs nonsense and it ends up being right on occasion.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2021, 03:21:08 PM »

DC STATEHOOD TOOK A BIG JUMP THIS WEEK BECAUSE WITH INSURRECTIONISTS COMMISSION AND Sununu declining to run a 222/216 D H and a 53/47 Senate due to Josh Mandel not a sure thing in OH, Ryan should best him or JD Vance

BEASLEY ABD DEMINGS ARE UNDERDOGS BUDEN IS AT 34 PERCENT IN NC the only way we win NC is Jeff Jackson, he is like Tim Ryan, all Ryaj has to do is keep OH close not lose by 10 and he's doing that

Lol OH, oh you sweet, sweet summer child...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2021, 03:44:29 PM »

Lol OH, oh you sweet, sweet summer child...

Ryan is tied with Mandel abd he isn't 19 pts behind like DEMING'S

Let's wait til another poll comes out, we only had 2
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »

The NHGOP isn't like other Northeastern state parties that are generally able to come up with someone reasonably in tune with the state's overall culture for gubernatorial and senatorial runs. Spectacular recruiting fails resulting in candidates way too conservative for the state's general electorate are a common occurrence in the Granite State.

Also New Hampshire is still a Tilt/Lean D state. The Republicans didn't win in 2014 either.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #419 on: November 10, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »

This is so funny, I love it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #420 on: November 11, 2021, 12:37:58 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2021, 12:41:36 AM by Your Vote Is A Muscle »

Here's Plan B, C, D, E, and F:

Frank Edelblut (Wilton): Education commissioner. Probably has the best chance to win at this point. More of a unifying figure in the GOP (who almost beat Sununu) and has proven electability. Can run a Youngkin-style campaign pretty easily. The problem is that his actual record in education is easy to attack, mainly his voucher program running over budget. But with the NHDP coming down with a case of DNC Brain you can't rule him out completely. Tilt D

Matt Mowers (Bedford): Former NH-1 candidate and Trump aide. Clearly well-respected by the establishment and has strong Trump credentials. Problem is that he moved here the first time to run for Congress.

He's being lobbied by The Powers That Be to swap to Senate. On one hand, the general would be much harder (though not impossible) for him to win. On the other, the primary isn't even safe, with Karoline Leavitt racking up an impressive list of national endorsements. Leans D

Chuck Morse (Salem): I'll believe it when I see it. Leans D if he runs

Jay Lucas (Newport): Businessman who has expressed interest in running for Senate previously. Actually ran for governor in 1998. Has stayed in the limelight for a bit and is close to Sununu, and I believe he's considering a run right now. I'm pretty bullish on him. Leans D

Bill Binnie (Portsmouth): Sure, I guess. Likely D

Frank Guinta (Manchester): Former NH-1 Congressman. Most famous for getting an illegal $355k loan from his parents and lying about being exonerated. Was found guilty and universally condemned by the NHGOP. Blew NH-1 in 2016 and will probably lose. Safe D

Ovide Lamontagne (Manchester): lol. Safe D.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #421 on: November 11, 2021, 01:54:58 AM »

Oh right, I forgot:

Corey Lewandowski: More Trumpy but still pretty radioactive. Likely D

Don Bolduc: Completely off the reservation. Safe D
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #422 on: November 11, 2021, 02:06:30 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2021, 01:36:47 PM by Your Vote Is A Muscle »

All that is fine, but your point of comparison is the TXGOP. They've been there, done that, and much more. I mean, maybe it's got to do with the fact that TX is much bigger and therefore is more important to the media than NH, but I don't see controversial actions the NH legislature/governor have taken cropping up in the news on a regular basis. TX is, as I said, one of the craziest GOP's even otherwise. The NH legislators may be terrible, but they still, no matter what their motivation, have not done nearly as much damage as the TX legislature has.

But I still stand by much of what I said. I'd invite you to name bills the NH legislature have passed that are as terrible in magnitude as TX's. TX has passed terrible bills on masks (schools and businesses), guns, abortion, critical race theory, to name just a few. If you can, name what the NH legislature has done that is as bad on each of those issues. And if you can't (which, quite frankly, I suspect to be the case), you've proven my point that the NH legislature is still much better than TX's.

I was going to ignore this, but you're still condescending to me like you have any sort of idea what you're doing, so here we go:

The main thing is the 2021 state budget, which includes a vague anti-CRT provision and one of the strictest abortion bans in the country (aside from the term). While it's a ban for up to 24 months, it forces ultrasounds before abortions, weakens the life-of-mother exception, and doesn't include exceptions for rape and incest. It also has a similar ban on "divisive concepts" - again - attached to the budget.

The NHGOP has also passed a controversial voucher program that gives away public school funding to private schools. It's based on Betsy DeVos's "education freedom account" policy, and has been radioactively unpopular. Instead of costing $130,000 as advertised, it cost $7 million. It's a massive giveaway that's being balanced on the backs of our towns. (And we haven't even mentioned Sununu nominating Edelblut, a political hack with no education experience like DeVos, as EdSec)

Nothing on voting rights passed this session, but SB3 from 2017 was very, very bad. HB 1264 attempted to change the residency definition, but did little to suppress voting. SB3, however, required new voters to sign a lengthy form to prove their residency. Sununu notably admitted that the law suppressed the student vote, yet signed it into law anyway. His own Supreme Court agreed, unanimously striking it down.

They have also prevented state or local governments, or public facilities, from issuing vaccine mandates.

And that doesn't even get into the Executive Council's $27 million rejection of federal vaccine funding and defunding of Planned Parenthood. The latter is the first time PP has been defunded in 8 years.  

It's funny, because if you actually followed NH politics closely enough to be an expert, you'd know all of these things. I've posted these bills, at length, on multiple occasions and how it would hurt Sununu in a Senate run. I've even done it in this thread! Yet somehow, after our last conversations about NH politics, you're still condescending to me like your entire opinions on my state aren't based on a false assumption.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #423 on: November 11, 2021, 08:06:21 AM »

If the NHGOP has to choose between Guinta and Messner they skipped right over B-list and C-list and went straight to D-list candidates.

"Jack and Jill went up the hill andddddd (turning pages)....Jill came tumbling after.  The end, good night."
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #424 on: November 11, 2021, 09:16:54 AM »

Lean D, you can't beat someone with no one
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to: