Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:42:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 272099 times)
Catalyst138
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4550 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4551 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:22 AM »

I’d like to point out that Ossoff is Jewish. So a state with a notorious history of lynching Jews and blacks has just elected them to the senate for the first time at the same time

To be fair, I think there was only one high-profile Jewish victim of lynching, Leo Frank, and you can't really compare that to what African-Americans experienced over time. 

You’re absolutely correct, it’s just the cherry on top
Panda Express

« Reply #4552 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:25 AM »

Republicans, if you're feeling bummed I have good news for you

McDonald (R) looks to have beaten Blackman (D) for the District 4 Public Service Commission runoff
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4553 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:28 AM »

Will Trump award Joe Manchin the Medal of Freedom if he changes parties before Inauguration Day?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4554 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:57 AM »

Ugh hopefully Manchin uses his power to stop the left wing agenda and force a more centrist agenda to pass

Biden's agenda is already fairly centrist. It's like some Republicans forget who won the primaries.

Center-Right by global political theory standards.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4555 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »

I’m here and still seeing Perdue ahead
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4556 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:10 AM »

Who the heck was the Jewish Deep South Senator in the 1880s?

That would be David Levy Yulee of Florida, and Judah Benjamin and Benjamin Jonas, both from Louisiana.
New Orleans was the largest city in the South until 1950, and as result Louisiana was the most "cosmopolitan" Southern state. So electing (by the legislature, of course) two Jewish Senators in the early post-reconstruction era shouldn't be too surprising, I suppose.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #4557 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:18 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4558 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:19 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 12:35:11 AM by Crumpets »

I'm more disappointed its my own state than anything else atm.  Also the fact that we are now perma-blue is disgusting.

I need to vomit.

Hey, I don't know much about you, but because you're posting on Atlas, I'm going to assume you're younger than the average American. If we're ever going to have a functioning two-party system again, it'll be because politically-engaged young conservatives make their voices heard within the Republican Party. fwiw, I know a lot of Biden voters who would have gladly voted for a Republican if the party looked more like young America. Biden is going to have a midterm in two years where Democrats will be facing an uphill battle. If I were you, I'd look into running for office and trying to make that change happen.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4559 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:27 AM »

@brucejoel99 on venmo is awaiting a $50 notification from you, MM.

It not over.

I’m a man of my word though. Might wait till Monday. But I’m a man of my word (if it happens)
That’s funny, I thought it was over this morning
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4560 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:27 AM »

I'm more disappointed its my own state than anything else atm.  Also the fact that we are now perma-blue is disgusting.

I need to vomit.

You'll live.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #4561 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:39 AM »

JOE MANCHIN IS NOT SWITCHING PARTIES.
Buzz

« Reply #4562 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:41 AM »

I need to vomit.

I really don’t get why you were so confident about these races/this state. Don’t get me wrong, I predicted narrow wins for Loeffler and Perdue as well, but a very outspoken liberal black woman literally received 49% of the vote in Georgia just two years ago. I feel like many Republicans were almost as cocky about GA as Democrats were about WI/PA/MI in 2016.

Obviously the state is now at least Lean D, and close to Likely D in terms of probability rather than margin.
It's more like having a false sense of hope that your home state isn't going down the path you know it is.  I don't let biases impact my view with other states, but with GA I can't help it.  I also am genuinely shocked David Perdue lost.  I would have bet the house on him.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4563 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:49 AM »

Can someone please explain to me why people keep mentioning Manchin?

He's the most likely member of the Democratic caucus to object to a piece of progressive legislation in a 50-50 Senate. Biden and Schumer will probably have to cut a lot of deals with him to make sure he doesn't give the Republicans a 51st "no" vote on something like repealing Trump's tax cuts for the rich.

Trump's tax cuts for the rich need to be shot dead on the street and have its body sent to the sun. I've seen actual piles of sh**t that were less full of sh**t than the idea of trickle down working
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4564 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:35 AM »

I’d like to point out that Ossoff is Jewish. So a state with a notorious history of lynching Jews and blacks has just elected them to the senate for the first time at the same time

To be fair, I think there was only one high-profile Jewish victim of lynching, Leo Frank, and you can't really compare that to what African-Americans experienced over time. 

Now we’re going to have a Jewish majority leader as well. And Secretary of State, secretary of the treasury, secretary of homeland security, chief of staff, and second gentleman.

I'd trade it all (except the majority leader) for one (1) Jewish president from Vermont.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4565 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:38 AM »

Kudos for one of the funniest chuckle inducing posts all night.
UncleSam

« Reply #4566 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:44 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4567 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:52 AM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4568 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:03 AM »

Republicans, if you're feeling bummed I have good news for you

McDonald (R) looks to have beaten Blackman (D) for the District 4 Public Service Commission

His campaign focused heavily on climate change. That and a desire to split tickets probably doomed him with country clubbers in places like Roswell, Alpharetta and West Paces Ferry.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4569 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:13 AM »

I need to vomit.

You'll live.

LOL exactly. Pretty funny to see conservatives whine about their states flipping. Get over it, snowflakes. Some of us have been living in states that haven't voted the way we wanted for years.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4570 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:27 AM »

I'd argue it's still an underratedly Southern state even today.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #4571 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »

I need to vomit.

I really don’t get why you were so confident about these races/this state. Don’t get me wrong, I predicted narrow wins for Loeffler and Perdue as well, but a very outspoken liberal black woman literally received 49% of the vote in Georgia just two years ago. I feel like many Republicans were almost as cocky about GA as Democrats were about WI/PA/MI in 2016.

Obviously the state is now at least Lean D, and close to Likely D in terms of probability rather than margin.
It's more like having a false sense of hope that your home state isn't going down the path you know it is.  I don't let biases impact my view with other states, but with GA I can't help it.  I also am genuinely shocked David Perdue lost.  I would have bet the house on him.

bro why
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4572 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:54 AM »

I wonder how Daniel Blackman is doing. I can't figure out what's going on in that race.

He lost Sad
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #4573 on: January 06, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »

I'd argue it's still an underratedly Southern state even today.

The north half maybe. Southern FL is definitely not "Southern"
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4574 on: January 06, 2021, 12:15:47 AM »

I do think Rs start off as favorites for GA-SEN and GOV in 2022 but I suspect those will be the last statewide R wins (if they win at all) for a long time in Georgia. Weird to think that Ossoff may well be starting a lifer senate career.

Why would you think that.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies