Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 264430 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: December 31, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »
« edited: December 31, 2020, 09:15:55 AM by SCNCmod »

Is this really from this morning?

It's great to see so many people voting this morning... but it's also crazy that people have to wait in a line that long to vote.  I've never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to vote... ever (And I think there should be an amendment or something that mandates x  number of voting machines/ places per every 10,000 people or something- so that people in larger cities or urban areas don't have to wait hours longer than people in small towns or rural areas. IMO, no one should ever have to wait more than 30 mins to vote.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1701 on: December 31, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »

Is this really from this morning?

It's great to see so many people voting this morning... but it's also crazy that people have to wait in a line that long to vote.  I've never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to vote... ever (And I think there should be an amendment or something that mandates x  number of voting machines/ places per every 10,000 people or something- so that people in larger cities or urban areas don't have to wait hours longer than people in small towns or rural areas. IMO, no one should ever have to wait more than 30 mins to vote.

It sure looks like today (it's a foggy morning in north Georgia).  Polls opened at 7:00, and there's a later tweet by the same person saying a voter arrived at 6:30 and waited an hour and a half.

The current wait times at the seven Cobb County early voting sites (map with times at https://cobbcountyga.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=1c3b458b93b3436db03c77cf585b23d2) show wait times of 45-120 minutes except for one site at 10 minutes.

Fulton County (https://fulcogis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/6ec69e7c9eb84b31865fb2a71f4ba667) is doing much better; a few sites with long waits, but most with little or none.

Gwinnett also has short wait times at the moment - https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/web/gwinnett/departments/elections/waittimes.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1702 on: December 31, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1703 on: December 31, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »

Weakness, this was always gonna be a close race, like Rev AL Sharpton said but the Survey polls combined with Trafalgar has showed that consistently that since 2zM checks has been involved, the momentum is with Warnock an AA and Ossoff a Jew, no one said this was gonna be easy. Both have been at 50 and Perdue and Loeffler have been at 45
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1704 on: December 31, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »

2.85 million have voted as of yesterday.

Today will be huge (last early voting day !), so probably another 0.35 million today (incl. mail returns), maybe even 0.45 million.

That would be 3.2-3.3 million votes in total and maybe 100k-200k more mail ballots coming in until Tuesday night.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1705 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »

Why are Hispanic registered voters in GA such lazy-ass voters ?

Their turnout so far is 20%, compared to 40% each for Whites and Blacks and 35% for Asians.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1706 on: December 31, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

Why are Hispanic registered voters in GA such lazy-ass voters ?

Their turnout so far is 20%, compared to 40% each for Whites and Blacks and 35% for Asians.

Maybe they just don’t like either candidate / party?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1707 on: December 31, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »

Today will be huge (last early voting day !), so probably another 0.35 million today (incl. mail returns), maybe even 0.45 million.

That would be 3.2-3.3 million votes in total and maybe 100k-200k more mail ballots coming in until Tuesday night.

So is this election really only going to have three-quarters of November's turnout or are ~35% of votes going to be cast on election day? Because there's a lot of uncertainty depending on what ends up being the case.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1708 on: December 31, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »

So is this election really only going to have three-quarters of November's turnout or are ~35% of votes going to be cast on election day? Because there's a lot of uncertainty depending on what ends up being the case.

Nobody really know what election day vote is going to be like.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1709 on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:57 AM »

It’s pretty normal that there’s a big turnout drop-off in runoffs compared to the general election.

Austria’s presidential election in 2016 was an outlier, we had higher turnout in the runoff compared to the 1st round ...
SCNCmod

« Reply #1710 on: December 31, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »

If the total EV ends up being around 3.3M, that would be around 80% of the total EV total in November.  This would suggest that around 650,000 will vote on election day (80% of Nov Election Day votes).... these are rough numbers based on what I think I remember for the Nov totals.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1711 on: December 31, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »

BTW:

Did you know that Kelly Löffler means Kelly Spooner in English ?

She’s of Austrian-German ancestry (or her husband).
forsythvoter

« Reply #1712 on: December 31, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »

My wife and I just dropped off our ballots. We put a lot of thought into our votes - even more so than in the general election - and regardless of how this turns out, I'm pleased that there's been so much civic engagement this year. Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing their perspectives and happy New Year's Eve!

I was considering not sharing who we voted for because folks will read too much into it but since I know everyone will ask, we did end up voting Ossoff / Warnock for the Senate races. We ultimately didn't feel Perdue / Loeffler demonstrated enough independence from Trump in light of the stimulus bill / election fraud theatrics and this was the tipping point, given we wanted senators that could work constructively and independently with the Biden administration. That said, we remain concerned about our country's fiscal situation and will be evaluating in 2022 where things stand.

I voted R for the PSC (the utilities oversight board in GA) race, for reasons I won't discuss in detail in a Senate-focused thread, but I am in general in favor of nuclear power and this was something the incumbent seemed to support.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1713 on: December 31, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »

BTW:

Did you know that Kelly Löffler means Kelly Spooner in English ?

She’s of Austrian-German ancestry (or her husband).

It seems she kept her name Löffler after marriage.

Her husband’s last name is Sprecher, which is also a German name, and means „speaker“.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1714 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »

My wife and I just dropped off our ballots. We put a lot of thought into our votes - even more so than in the general election - and regardless of how this turns out, I'm pleased that there's been so much civic engagement this year. Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing their perspectives and happy New Year's Eve!

I was considering not sharing who we voted for because folks will read too much into it but since I know everyone will ask, we did end up voting Ossoff / Warnock for the Senate races. We ultimately didn't feel Perdue / Loeffler demonstrated enough independence from Trump in light of the stimulus bill / election fraud theatrics and this was the tipping point, given we wanted senators that could work constructively and independently with the Biden administration. That said, we remain concerned about our country's fiscal situation and will be evaluating in 2022 where things stand.

I voted R for the PSC (the utilities oversight board in GA) race, for reasons I won't discuss in detail in a Senate-focused thread, but I am in general in favor of nuclear power and this was something the incumbent seemed to support.

Good read - Happy NYE to you, Forsyth!
SCNCmod

« Reply #1715 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »

and regardless of how this turns out, I'm pleased that there's been so much civic engagement this year. Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing their perspectives and happy New Year's Eve!

Great sentiments. Happy NYE as well!
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1716 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »

If the total EV ends up being around 3.3M, that would be around 80% of the total EV total in November.  This would suggest that around 650,000 will vote on election day (80% of Nov Election Day votes).... these are rough numbers based on what I think I remember for the Nov totals.

You think EV will end up at 3.3M? That would require astounding turnout today. I hope my skepticism is proven wrong.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1717 on: December 31, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2020, 11:26:15 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

Today will be a good benchmark as to how many votes Republicans will have to net in Election Day. Currently, they seem to be a in a hole between 200k and 350k votes, with around 275k being the most likely. A few mail in ballots may trickle in after today, so Ds lead will probably slightly grow by a few thousand by Election Day. If the GOP is 300k in debt let’s say;

An e-day turnout of 600k would have to break 3:1 for Perdue abs Loefeller
An e-day turnout of 900k would have to break 2:1 for Perdue and Loefeller
An e-day turnout of 1.2 million would have to break 5:3 for Perdue and Loefeller
An e-day turnout of 1.5 million would have to break 3:2 for Perdue abs Loefeller

Again, these are all estimates and not exact numbers
SCNCmod

« Reply #1718 on: December 31, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »

Seeing long lines in some of the news clips as well. 

Maybe it's what you get used to, but it's always so hard for me to imagine having to wait an hour (or more) to vote.  Given how easy it is to vote in rural counties- I hope Ossoff & Warnock will make a big push to boost election day turnout of Dems in Rural Counties. (even if Dems only make up 30% of the voters in some rural counties, collectively they can potentially decide the outcome).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1719 on: December 31, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »

Those long lines are nuts.

In Austria, you wait 1 or 2 minutes maximum to vote.

If it’s mostly innercity Democratic counties with long lines, why are they not setting up more precincts ?

The same sh!t in Democratic controlled NY(C). They had decades to improve their voting systems and did nothing.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1720 on: December 31, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »

You think EV will end up at 3.3M? That would require astounding turnout today. I hope my skepticism is proven wrong.

I actually have no idea what the EV will up being- I was just using numbers I saw in several recent posts.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1721 on: December 31, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »

Oh my God.

RIP
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1722 on: December 31, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »

Just got another Perdue ad lol.

Anyone else noticed how all his ads end through him angrily walking in a random field
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1723 on: December 31, 2020, 11:42:45 AM »

This explains the JMC poll...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix