Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:23:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 257771 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »

Nikki Haley is RIGHT! I can't fadom a Budget Chairman named Sanders in the Senate. This should be a big Motivation for Republicans in Georgia.

We need to hold our Senate Majority for a couple more Cycles until hyperbolic Bernie retires. I am scared having him as Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee. This would be a total Disaster!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »

Raphael Warnock is a danger to the nation

Jeremiah Wright? The Republican attack plan is to bring up Jeremiah f^ckin Wright? I can't believe its 2008 again
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2020, 03:23:53 PM »

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2020, 03:38:22 PM »

Nikki Haley is RIGHT! I can't fadom a Budget Chairman named Sanders in the Senate. This should be a big Motivation for Republicans in Georgia.

We need to hold our Senate Majority for a couple more Cycles until hyperbolic Bernie retires. I am scared having him as Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee. This would be a total Disaster!

- person whose life is not going to be affected by the military's funding in any way
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »

Can’t wait to vote for The Rev Purple heart
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »

I’m sorry to ask a question that’s probably been addressed multiple times already, but I only found this out today....

Why are the runoffs AFTER the new Congress is seated? Who came up with that?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »

I’m sorry to ask a question that’s probably been addressed multiple times already, but I only found this out today....

This is a Jim Crow era rule to prevent candidates from winning with Black support, basically. The runoffs used to be in December, but I think a lawsuit forced Georgia to move the federal runoffs to January.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »

This is a Jim Crow era rule to prevent candidates from winning with Black support, basically. The runoffs used to be in December, but I think a lawsuit forced Georgia to move the federal runoffs to January.

Yeah, I know all about the racial motivations behind runoffs, but a runoff in Jan. after the new Congress is seated? So the seats will actually be vacant for a couple days? Perdue and Loeffler won’t be incumbents on Election Day?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »

Yeah, I know all about the racial motivations behind runoffs, but a runoff in Jan. after the new Congress is seated? So the seats will actually be vacant for a couple days? Perdue and Loeffler won’t be incumbents on Election Day?

It is needed to have the minimum of 45 days between certification of the November election and the runoff needed by the federal UOCAVA Act (so the military and overseas ballots are sent and returned in time).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2020, 05:40:31 PM »

Loeffler will remain an incumbent as she was appointed to fill her seat's vacancy until the winner of the special election (who could very well be her) is sworn-in.

Perdue's term - on the other hand - does indeed end on Jan. 3rd, & (unless Kemp can just re-appoint him for a few weeks in order to preserve his seniority) it may remain vacant until a runoff winner is certified & seated, yes.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »

Loeffler will remain an incumbent as she was appointed to fill her seat's vacancy until the winner of the special election (who could very well be her) is sworn-in.

D’oh! I should have realized that, but yeah the thing with Perdue (or any incumbent who is forced into a runoff in a regular election) is...weird.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »

Warnock is getting hit pretty hard by the right today for a past anti-Israel letter he signed as part of his church. While I definitely find some of the commentary in there offensive, it also doesn't have any real tinges of antisemitism and his current statements make me think this is more of a Conor Lamb situation than an Ilhan Omar situation.

If that letter is the best they have Warnock is gonna run away with this.
SCNCmod

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2020, 01:17:17 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2020, 01:36:21 AM by SCNCmod »

It's going to be funny when all of these attack ads and tweets backfire:

And there is a huge turnout among Black Voters & Bernie Supporters.  Over 1.6 Million Black voters in the General, and I imagine several hundred thousand Bernie Backers voted in the general.

Consider 2.4 Million was the winning number in the general. The 2018 runoff turnout was 38% of general election voters.  Let's say you double that to 76% for the 2020 runoff... the winning number would be: around 1.8 Million.

Also- with Jan 5th coming at such a busy time of the year... I would be surprised if turnout reaches 76% of general election voters (also- the mail-in voters in the general... are very likely to mail in another vote... in the runoff. So those voters are less likely to fall victim to being too busy to go vote on Jan 5th.  And Dems won mail-in vote by huge margins).
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2020, 01:55:10 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_and_1975_United_States_Senate_elections_in_New_Hampshire

I wonder if somehow we face higher turnout than atleast 2018 general .
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2020, 02:03:14 AM »

It will only help Ossoff chances if Pelosi stop her blockade of the targeted stimulus package, she can ask for more stimulus once Biden gets into office. The Congress went with more stimulus after the first one didn't do adequate job
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2020, 06:42:41 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »

Just a tweet from some Twitter rando, but [chef's kiss]

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2020, 08:25:29 AM »

Both parties are soliciting campaign contributions and we haven't gotten our stimulus checks yet. People are gonna pay their current expenses, no one is paying for past due bills or donating to campaigns.

Joe Kennedy if he was elected Senator, not Market, purposely misspelled would have helped with fundraising of Ossoff, that's where Ds made their mistake. I encourage Joe Kennedy to run should Warren step down, whenever she does for Cabinet
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2020, 11:14:48 AM »

If Warnock is seen as antiwhite, he could lose to Loeffler.

Loeffler and the GOP will use the white patriotism card

Both races are tossup
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »

Both races are tossup

The Georgia GOP has been race baiting nonstop for as long as I've been alive. In fact, in 2022, someone called my (very white) parents and told them to vote for Stacey Abrams to be Georgia's first B L A C K governor. Seriously, it was like she choked on the word, and sure enough at the end of the call it went "paid for by the Republican Party of Georgia." Anyways, I think those strategies are nearing their expiration date, since the hick vote is already maxed out and I doubt people in the metro would be swayed in great numbers by a message they've been absolutely inundated with.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2020, 12:16:39 PM by UWS »

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »

Wtf I love Warnock now.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

Gonna be honest. Don't care.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »

Stop or I'm going to start liking Warnock instead of just hating Loeffler
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2020, 12:49:33 PM »

Both races are tossup

The Georgia GOP has been race baiting nonstop for as long as I've been alive. In fact, in 2022, someone called my (very white) parents and told them to vote for Stacey Abrams to be Georgia's first B L A C K governor. Seriously, it was like she choked on the word, and sure enough at the end of the call it went "paid for by the Republican Party of Georgia." Anyways, I think those strategies are nearing their expiration date, since the hick vote is already maxed out and I doubt people in the metro would be swayed in great numbers by a message they've been absolutely inundated with.

We will see.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies