WARNING to the Republican Party: Don't go back to Reform or NeoConservatism!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:23:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  WARNING to the Republican Party: Don't go back to Reform or NeoConservatism!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WARNING to the Republican Party: Don't go back to Reform or NeoConservatism!  (Read 1523 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »

Stay the Course with Economic Populism and don't go back to the Pre-Trump Time!

If you do I'll sit out the next few Elections and I will encourage other Republican-leaning Voters to do it as well!
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »

And yet you back Nikki Haley.  Huh
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »

At the very least, I want to see them stop with anti-science.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »

They should adopt the ASP platform.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »

That’s what’s allowing them to make huge strides with the poorly educated across all races and all states.
Being anti-science seems to be the new trend.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »

Agreed. Climate change is a very real and pressing threat. You don't have to support AOC's Green New Deal, but you can come with alternative solutions.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »

Agreed. Climate change is a very real and pressing threat. You don't have to support AOC's Green New Deal, but you can come with alternative solutions.

LOL! This year is proof that Climate Change is not a very real and pressing threat. there is a drop in human caused emissions by approximately 10% annualized and no impact on the rise of atmosphere CO2 levels.

While we need to wait for studies to analyze this, from what I'm seeing, I would say that human emissions are not the dominant driver of the rise of CO2 levels.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 05:47:14 PM »

LOL! This year is proof that Climate Change is not a very real and pressing threat. there is a drop in human caused emissions by approximately 10% annualized and no impact on the rise of atmosphere CO2 levels.

While we need to wait for studies to analyze this, from what I'm seeing, I would say that human emissions are not the dominant driver of the rise of CO2 levels.

Clearly you have no basic grasp of science if you think that any result would be instant, or that the total stored CO2 in the atmosphere would drop (which is what's necessary to reverse climate change)
mardigrappa
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

Don't go back to Trump.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »

Clearly you have no basic grasp of science if you think that any result would be instant, or that the total stored CO2 in the atmosphere would drop (which is what's necessary to reverse climate change)

I have a full grasp of science having read everything about Climate Change in 2008, unlike you. I do not expect that the CO2 levels would drop. I expected that there would be a correlation with human emissions that dropped, so I would expect that CO2 levels would grow less than previous years. That's not happening.

I will be waiting for scientific studies that will analyze the data and possibly find an explanation.

There has never been a clear link between the amount of emitted CO2 and the increase of CO2 content in the atmosphere and the discrepancy was explained by a theory that excess CO2 emitted by humans is dissolved in the oceans. Nevertheless, reduced emissions should cause reduced growth of CO2 levels if there is a correlation between the two.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

Reform conservatism *is* economically populist.   
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »

I agree with Shua, the idea that reform and populism are opposed to each other is kind misguided.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »

I disagree with this, but not because I think you're wrong. If 2020 demonstrated anything to me, it's that right populism is not an aberration and 2016 wasn't a fluke; it took everything but the kitchen sink to take down Trump in 2020, and I'm fairly confident that a candidate like Ben Sasse or something would have been slaughtered. I sincerely hope that the split between the Trump base and the GOP establishment comes back and worsens; otherwise, I fear we're doomed to more 2016s.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 06:55:32 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Trump wasn't an economic populist though.

At the end of the day he was just totally clueless and had no core principles other than political self-service.

Some days he would start trade wars with China.  Other days he would be begging China to sign a great trade deal.

Some days he would insist that we were being ripped off by our hemispheric neighbors and start trade wars with them.  Other days he would sign a rebranded NAFTA.  And then tell everyone he had "killed NAFTA" when he barely changed it at all.

He ran on trying to help struggling farmers, but farmers have been devastated by the Trump presidency because his tariffs have sent commodities markets into chaos.  He ran on trying to bring jobs back to America and stop outsourcing, and he completely failed.

He ran on trying to fix the national debt, and then signed a huge tax cut that doubled the Obama-era deficits.  And in spite of this, his GDP growth per year was smaller than Obama's.

And when the pandemic hit, he couldn't care less about workers and made zero effort to get them the funding they needed to go back to work safely.  Instead he just tried to bully everyone into going back to work under unsafe conditions, and then cried like a bitch when unemployment stayed high because people didn't want to die.

Has the rust belt been revitalized?  Has coal country been revitalized?  Are blue collar workers better off now than they were four years ago?  Did Trump stop the illegal immigrants from taking our jobs?  Did Trump stop China from manipulating currency, stealing intellectual property, and flooding our markets with cheap knock-offs?  Are farmers and manufacturers better off now than they were four years ago?  The answer to all of these questions is no.

Trump was never an economic populist.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »

Wrong, go back to Trump. Ivanka or Don Jr. please! Or DeSantis!

I've changed my mind about Rubio, Haley and all these frauds. We need fighters and not these spineless people.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »

Wrong, go back to Trump. Ivanka or Don Jr. please! Or DeSantis!

I've changed my mind about Rubio, Haley and all these frauds. We need fighters and not these spineless people.
Amen! DeSantis 2024!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »

Tony Fauci, whadda we do? Inject him with the Wuhan Flu! Inject him with the Wuhan Flu!

-Anti-lockdown activists in Borat
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »

Neocons are better politicians and are less likely to win, so it's a win-win for me.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 07:54:51 PM »

At the end of the day he was just totally clueless and had no core principles other than political self-service.

Some days he would start trade wars with China.  Other days he would be begging China to sign a great trade deal.

Some days he would insist that we were being ripped off by our hemispheric neighbors and start trade wars with them.  Other days he would sign a rebranded NAFTA.  And then tell everyone he had "killed NAFTA" when he barely changed it at all.

He ran on trying to help struggling farmers, but farmers have been devastated by the Trump presidency because his tariffs have sent commodities markets into chaos.  He ran on trying to bring jobs back to America and stop outsourcing, and he completely failed.

He ran on trying to fix the national debt, and then signed a huge tax cut that doubled the Obama-era deficits.  And in spite of this, his GDP growth per year was smaller than Obama's.

And when the pandemic hit, he couldn't care less about workers and made zero effort to get them the funding they needed to go back to work safely.  Instead he just tried to bully everyone into going back to work under unsafe conditions, and then cried like a bitch when unemployment stayed high because people didn't want to die.

Has the rust belt been revitalized?  Has coal country been revitalized?  Are blue collar workers better off now than they were four years ago?  Did Trump stop the illegal immigrants from taking our jobs?  Did Trump stop China from manipulating currency, stealing intellectual property, and flooding our markets with cheap knock-offs?  Are farmers and manufacturers better off now than they were four years ago?  The answer to all of these questions is no.

One of the rules in business is that there are not many rules.

Look at Trump throwing 100 court cases at Bidens attempt to win the Presidency.

In business, that is just a nasty tactic to put you in financial quicksand so you run out of money, grow tired of lawyers and give up.

But in the White House, that tactic is irrelevant.

From a business perspective, Trump did have an impact on Chinese trade, immigration and the economy.

From a political perspective, he did not make enough alliances to get his plans finished.

You achieve more making friends than you do making enemies.

Hopefully Biden does not make the same mistake.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 09:15:53 PM »

Tony Fauci, whadda we do? Inject him with the Wuhan Flu! Inject him with the Wuhan Flu!

-Anti-lockdown activists in Borat

link

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »

Seriously this. They'd win landslides.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »

The Republicans should honestly go back to a John Kasich or Ronald Reagan style platform. Against a terrible Democratic candidate such as Tulsi Goddard, I would easily vote Republican with such a platform.
Buzz

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »

The days of the Haley, Rubio, Romney type candidate is over.  Don’t ever try to run someone like that again.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 10:27:28 PM »

For all the big talk they have, maybe the dislike Trump voters have for the democratic party would just speak louder in case of a neoconservative republican nominee.

Establishment republicans just have to force their way in order to win their primary and eventually the anti-establishment Trump populists would end up kneeling down against their will in total submission, in order to defeat the “common enemy”. Kinda like what happened with the Democrats and the Bernie base.

Republicans just need to learn to control their base as well as Democrats do. In 2016 they let themselves be controlled instead, something they can prevent if they do their homework.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 10:53:10 PM »

Trump didn't have to be some amazing economic populist to be seen as a populist. He just had to be more populist than the other choices.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies