If Biden refuses to deschedule marijuana and Cotton wins in 2024, how long will we have to wait?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:49:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Biden refuses to deschedule marijuana and Cotton wins in 2024, how long will we have to wait?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Biden refuses to deschedule marijuana and Cotton wins in 2024, how long will we have to wait?  (Read 437 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2020, 01:12:06 AM »

If marijuana is still scheduled on inauguration day in 2025 and Tom Cotton is inaugurated, how long until marijuana is descheduled?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 01:17:14 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 01:20:38 AM by LVScreenssuck »

Far too long for the amount of grass I would need to blast the thought of President Cotton out of my mind.

Edit: Anyway, I’m pretty sure the scheduling, or at least some of it including mj, is mandated in law rather than agency ruling. So it’s a matter of congressional support, I can’t see Biden or even Cotton dying on that hill given the trends of popular support for legalization if a bill were to get to their desk.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 02:18:20 AM »

Far too long for the amount of grass I would need to blast the thought of President Cotton out of my mind.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 02:42:01 AM »

I like how everybody thinks Tom Cotton in 2024 is a guarantee when literally everybody got it wrong four years ago as far as who the Dem nominee would be
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 05:25:30 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 05:31:41 AM by Alex »

I like how everybody thinks Tom Cotton in 2024 is a guarantee when literally everybody got it wrong four years ago as far as who the Dem nominee would be

Also, see the 2016 GOP primaries
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »

If marijuana is still scheduled on inauguration day in 2025 and Tom Cotton is inaugurated, how long until marijuana is descheduled?

Never. While it is probable that marihuana will go from schedule I to another schedule (likely schedule II or III), it would take a literal act of Congress to legalize marihuana at the Federal level. (Marihuana is the archaic spelling used in Federal law.)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

We can't give up on the energy of resisting bad policy just because Biden will be President, we need to hold his feet to the fire and demand this as soon as possible. Also demand it of Kamala Harris so she gets in his ear. It's an easy win, and an easy end around the legislative process.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »

We can't give up on the energy of resisting bad policy just because Biden will be President, we need to hold his feet to the fire and demand this as soon as possible. Also demand it of Kamala Harris so she gets in his ear. It's an easy win, and an easy end around the legislative process.

Only if he ignores the clear wording of the Controlled Substances Act. Moving marihuana from schedule I to schedule II should be fairly easy now that it is often prescribed under State laws. Moving it to schedule III, IV, or V might be doable, but would be tougher. Legalizing recreational use is not something any President could do unilaterally. Moreover, any purely presidential action could be easily undone by a future President.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »

If Cotton wins in 2024, there are much bigger things to worry about than marijuana descheduling.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »

Cotton's prospects are overrated. I think he comes off as too much of a hicks to have broad appeal.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 03:23:39 PM »

Cotton is overrated.

He has a long neck, as well.

He's not presidential material
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: