2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here  (Read 7739 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:46:57 AM »

lol

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus H. Christ.

I wonder how much good it would do for Biden or Kamala to get up and explain why the state legislature in North Carolina is relevant to Democrats in California. I suspect that the answer is "a lot."

But yeah, we lit soooo much money on fire this cycle between these Senate flops and trying to compete in Florida, Texas, Ohio and the like on the presidential level.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »

Early indications are that Democrats failed to win a supermajority in the New York Senate, and actually lost seats in the legislature as a whole:

GOP Gains Seats In New York State Legislature

State Senate Democrats needed to add two seats during Tuesday’s election to secure a “supermajority” in a chamber that was controlled by Republicans until 2018. A supermajority would have given Democrats two-thirds of the Senate’s seats, giving it the power to override vetoes from the governor’s office and giving senators more leverage.

Entering Tuesday’s election, Democrats held 106 seats in the state Assembly and 41 in the state Senate.

According to a summary of unofficial results in state Assembly and Senate races compiled Wednesday morning by the Associated Press, Republicans picked up five seats in the state Senate and nine seats in the state Assembly, leaving Democrats with a 96 members of the 150-seat Assembly and 36 members in the 60-seat Senate. Those results are far from final with thousands of absentee ballots still to be counted in counties throughout the state.

Yikes. Praying for a miracle with the absentees, but this one really hurts.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Why did Republicans do so well in state legislatures? Financing? Are the Democrats really that bad at messaging? Curious to hear what you all think.

Surely - not financing, as Democratic candidates outraised Republican in many races, that were considered competitive (but, at least some - turned not..). Messaging is far more likely. Especially - concerning police and some other "hot button social" issues.  Not everyone (even among Democrats) subscribes under "bold progressive" platform. That was true on congressional level (NE-02 is the best example, but there are many other), that was even more true on many state legislative races. Plus - not every anti-Trump voter is anti-GOP in general..

DLCC funding was not great this cycle IIRC. I think Democratic voters in like California or wherever are beginning to understand why a Senate seat in Georgia matters to them, but they're a long way from truly understanding why the Texas State House matters as well.

Also I don't want to get into a whole progressive vs. moderate spat atm but I will note that DeFazio, Porter, Levin and the like survived the carnage for downballot Dems this cycle
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:17:17 PM »

Oh thank God. Best news I've heard all day. Love you, New York!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies