2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:02:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 2020 State Legislature Results -Post Here  (Read 7706 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2020, 02:52:59 AM »

So it looks like Republicans have won a supermajority in the Kentucky legislature, particularly in the House with about 70 seats, which would be a breakthrough:

Republicans add to their super majorities in the Kentucky House and Senate

Still waiting on results in West Virginia, another area of (morbid) interest for me.  
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 02:57:56 AM »

****ing awful. Republicans took back the Senate and are likely to take back the Executive Council too.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 03:23:37 PM »

All signs are the Republican supermajority would decrease albeit a small amount, but looks like they are instead actually going to gain a few in Indiana.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »

LI Democrats are been slaughtered by the Back the Blue element.

https://projects.newsday.com/voters-guide/results/general-election-november-3-2020
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 04:38:57 PM »

MN state senate is looking close although looking like the GOP holds it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »

Iowa Republicans look set to expand their majorities (or rather, undo all the gains Democrats made in the 2018 midterms) in the legislature:

Republicans poised to widen majority in Iowa House and maintain Senate control

Unofficial election results showed Republicans in line to add six more seats in the House, widening their majority to 59-41. In the Senate, Republicans are in line to keep their 32-18 majority.

"We outworked the Democrats, and I think it played out tonight," House Speaker Pat Grassley, R-New Hartford, said Tuesday. "We've been door-knocking in all these districts since the middle of June."

Several Democratic groups had focused on the Iowa House as a prime target to flip from Republican to Democratic control in 2020, and the race saw millions in spending from political parties and outside groups.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 04:59:37 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

In the meantime, Republicans successfully fended off Democratic efforts in Florida, North Carolina, and Texas.  I am not going to pretend that it doesn't hurt.  

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »

It's a nail-biter for Democrats in Arizona who once entertained hopes of taking control of the state legislature for the first time in decades:

Republicans overtake Dems in key races, control of legislature up for grabs

Election night started on a high note for Democratic hopes of taking control of Arizona’s legislature for the first time in more than a half century, but Republicans finished strong, taking the lead in several key races that could cement their control of the state’s House of Representatives and Senate.

Democrats need net gains of two seats in the House and three in the Senate to take the majorities in each chamber. And as of late Tuesday night, they led in just enough races to make that a reality, if those leads held up.

But Republicans gained ground with each new vote count, and the last batch of ballots reported by Maricopa County around 2:30 Wednesday morning flipped several races.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »

And this is before redistricting.  How much bigger can Republican majorities in both West Virginia and Kentucky get after they're done gerrymandering? 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 05:45:24 PM »

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2020/11/04/dems-and-progs-lose-supermajority-in-the-vermont-house-by-a-hair

Something went really wrong for downballot Ds literally everywhere, I can't see many states where they are actually improving

Anyway this definitely means no Bernie cabinet position.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »

I'm proud of the Minnesota GOP, they took out that damn Minnesota State Senator who uses the Tiktok. Good job!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 09:36:46 PM by Josiah Quincy Did Nothing Wrong »

Democrats got slaughtered in the downballot. Not only did the suburban revolt not progress, but Republicans got back up to 2016 levels. In my eyes, it shows that the suburban strategy is poisonous for the downballot, especially in elastic states. The GOP pumped the airwaves with anti-income tax messages, and with an incompetent Democratic nominee against a wildly popular governor, it showed split-ticket voting is still alive in America.

* The Executive Council, which manages appointments and contracts, will be 4-1 for Republicans. I had a gut feeling about Cryans, and was very bullish on Stevens. I didn't expect them to take out Pignatelli. Not only does this mean Gordon MacDonald (a political hack who has no judicial experience) will be elevated to Chief Justice, but Planned Parenthood is in grave danger. Wheeler and Kenney have voted to defund - most of the reason it's been funded these past few years has been Sununu himself (during his pivot to the center to run) and Prescott. Now, Democrats are relying on Chris Sununu to run.

* The House is lost. A slate of former and current nutjobs (notably Susan DeLemus, wife of arrested Bundy rancher Jerry DeLemus). The Senate is even worse. I half-expected Morgan to lose, and I was never really sure about Levesque. I even called Ricciardi being a strong candidate who could have pulled it off. Chandley was out of left field. I had her at Likely D because of her strength, so I was shocked to see her lose - even to the seat's former occupant.

Most weren't winnable, but Levesque's campaigning skills in particular were very concerning. Avard, the Senator-elect, is nuts. Not even Al Baldasaro nuts. I'm talking Stella Tremblay or Marjorie Taylor Greene nuts. There's a lot of stuff out there linking Avard to the fringe right. FFS, the guy is a QAnon supporter who thought the Parkland shooting was an inside job. Any competent apparatus would have had this all over the news, and would have had this seat in the bag for 2 years. Instead, the total incompetence of the NHDP put a far-right conspiracy theorist in the seat.

Today was a disaster for Democrats in NH. Yeah, they expanded their margins and held onto NH-1, but is it really worth it when Republicans control redistricting for another 10 years? Is it really worth it when they let the conspiracy right waltz into government? Is it really worth it when Planned Parenthood funding is in danger for the first time in five years?

Where's the tradeoff?
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »

Wisconsin GOP failed to get supermajorities in the Legislature. 

Republicans flipped 2 Senate seats SD-10 in the Twin Cities exurbs and SD-30 in the Green Bay Area.  SD-32 in western Wisconsin is led by the a Democrat by about 600 votes.  If things stand, the GOP is one seat short of a supermajority.  21-12 GOP.

Dems netted 2 seats in the Assembly, Ad-13 and AD-23, both in the Milwaukee suburbs.  61-38 GOP.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/republicans-fall-short-of-veto-proof-majorities-in-wisconsin-legislature/article_13ad5df1-4e2d-5750-890e-8372a9d5b2ec.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »

Republicans flipped 2 Senate seats SD-10 in the Twin Cities exurbs and SD-30 in the Green Bay Area.  SD-32 in western Wisconsin is led by the a Democrat by about 600 votes.  If things stand, the GOP is one seat short of a supermajority.  21-12 GOP.

Dems netted 2 seats in the Assembly, Ad-13 and AD-23, both in the Milwaukee suburbs.  61-38 GOP.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/republicans-fall-short-of-veto-proof-majorities-in-wisconsin-legislature/article_13ad5df1-4e2d-5750-890e-8372a9d5b2ec.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I mean... Dems winning legislative seats in WOW is a BFD.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 12:29:33 AM »

The Libertarian Party has appeared to have won a state legislative seat in Wyoming:

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/green-river-candidate-becomes-first-libertarian-to-win-statehouse-seat-anywhere-in-u-s-since/article_8c763a39-31d5-58e9-849e-3f13489b9a19.html

Green River Libertarian Marshall Burt made history Tuesday night, scoring a stunning upset over popular Democratic Rep. Stan Blake to become the first Libertarian to win a statehouse race anywhere in the U.S. in nearly two decades.

A nine-point winner in Tuesday’s election, Burt will also become Wyoming’s first third-party legislator in more than a century and the only Libertarian out of his party’s six-candidate slate to win in a year some believed third parties would begin to make inroads into the state’s political landscape.

Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 12:30:57 AM »

Democrats got slaughtered in the downballot. Not only did the suburban revolt not progress, but Republicans got back up to 2016 levels. In my eyes, it shows that the suburban strategy is poisonous for the downballot, especially in elastic states. The GOP pumped the airwaves with anti-income tax messages, and with an incompetent Democratic nominee against a wildly popular governor, it showed split-ticket voting is still alive in America.

* The Executive Council, which manages appointments and contracts, will be 4-1 for Republicans. I had a gut feeling about Cryans, and was very bullish on Stevens. I didn't expect them to take out Pignatelli. Not only does this mean Gordon MacDonald (a political hack who has no judicial experience) will be elevated to Chief Justice, but Planned Parenthood is in grave danger. Wheeler and Kenney have voted to defund - most of the reason it's been funded these past few years has been Sununu himself (during his pivot to the center to run) and Prescott. Now, Democrats are relying on Chris Sununu to run.

* The House is lost. A slate of former and current nutjobs (notably Susan DeLemus, wife of arrested Bundy rancher Jerry DeLemus). The Senate is even worse. I half-expected Morgan to lose, and I was never really sure about Levesque. I even called Ricciardi being a strong candidate who could have pulled it off. Chandley was out of left field. I had her at Likely D because of her strength, so I was shocked to see her lose - even to the seat's former occupant.

Most weren't winnable, but Levesque's campaigning skills in particular were very concerning. Avard, the Senator-elect, is nuts. Not even Al Baldasaro nuts. I'm talking Stella Tremblay or Marjorie Taylor Greene nuts. There's a lot of stuff out there linking Avard to the fringe right. FFS, the guy is a QAnon supporter who thought the Parkland shooting was an inside job. Any competent apparatus would have had this all over the news, and would have had this seat in the bag for 2 years. Instead, the total incompetence of the NHDP put a far-right conspiracy theorist in the seat.

Today was a disaster for Democrats in NH. Yeah, they expanded their margins and held onto NH-1, but is it really worth it when Republicans control redistricting for another 10 years? Is it really worth it when they let the conspiracy right waltz into government? Is it really worth it when Planned Parenthood funding is in danger for the first time in five years?

Where's the tradeoff?

It looks to me like Dems made a devil's bargain to get rid of Trump. They got the wave of suburban voters necessary to stop Trump's wave of rural voters, but Trump's new voters mostly voted Republican downballot out of loyalty whereas Biden's new voters disproportionately also voted Republican because they have no loyalty to the Democratic Party besides a white hot hatred of Trump.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »

Dems aren't even flipping AZ legislature even with a massive gerrymander in their favor, tbf its a bit less effective by the end of the decade.

Seattle
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 12:47:05 PM »

WA may be one of the only positive legislative spots for Dems.

House: D look to gain perhaps 3 (1 for sure, 2 on the edge), while Rs gain 1. D+2

Senate: Ds up in 2 seats (1 for sure, 1 on the edge), while Rs gain 1. D+1
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »

I mean... Dems winning legislative seats in WOW is a BFD.

Its bacon stripped between Waukesha and Milwaukee county and Ozaukee and Milwaukee county. Its also the parts of those WOW counties closest to Milwaukee.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2020, 06:19:10 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Now that the votes have been counted, it has been confirmed that Kentucky Republicans have won a 75:25 majority in the House, and a 30:8 majority in the Senate:

Republicans increase their super majorities in both chambers of KY General Assembly

"Trump's popularity here in Kentucky really effected a lot of down ballot races," said Tom Matajasic, a Kentucky Political Analyst and History Professor at Big Sandy Community and Technical College in Floyd County.

In the Kentucky House, Republicans gained 13 seats, bringing their numbers to 75 Republicans versus 25 Democrats. Of the 13 seats picked up from the election, 7 were open seats and 6 were seats previously held by Democrats. In the Kentucky Senate, Republicans picked up 2 seats previously held by Democrats. One of those was from Eastern Kentucky. Republicans now have 30 Senate members versus 8 Democratic members.

"I don't really think that was any reflection on the job Governor Beshear has done. I think it was more of a reflection of the popularity of Donald Trump in Kentucky," said Matajasic.

It seems that Republicans have broken through in ancestrally Democratic eastern Kentucky, just as their West Virginia GOP counterparts did in the southern part of their state.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 12:47:42 AM »

Minnesota Republicans have made some gains in the Iron Range:

Iron Range shift to GOP reaches state races

This wasn't the actual title of the article, but it should have been. 

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 01:01:55 AM »

Remember Pam Iovino, the Democrat who won that closely contested PA State Senate special election in Reschenthaler’s old seat? She’s gone.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 04:17:38 AM »

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-05/alex-lee-california-assembly-youngest-legislator-election

This guy won the CA State Assembly District 25 race in the SF Bay Area.

This Gen Z gig worker ran for office. Now he’s California’s youngest legislator

Alex Lee, a Democrat from San Jose, became the youngest state lawmaker to be elected in 80 years. The 25-year-old is also the first California legislator to have come out as bisexual.

ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-05/alex-lee-california-assembly-youngest-legislator-election

This guy won the CA State Assembly District 25 race in the SF Bay Area.

This Gen Z gig worker ran for office. Now he’s California’s youngest legislator

Alex Lee, a Democrat from San Jose, became the youngest state lawmaker to be elected in 80 years. The 25-year-old is also the first California legislator to have come out as bisexual.

Great, another member of my generation and community to make us look stupid. Good for him, hopefully he has a brain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies