2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:44:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 341 342 343 [344] 345 346 347 348 349 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 630740 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8575 on: November 04, 2020, 11:15:05 PM »

So does Gross actually still have a shot?

Hard to say, but I think the networks are making the right move by not calling the AK races.

Imagine Biden somehow won with Georgia and ALASKA. Would be a sufficiently bizarre end to such a crazy year.
Imagine if we end up with 51 Senators after the GA run-offs.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #8576 on: November 04, 2020, 11:15:56 PM »

Hard to say, but I think the networks are making the right move by not calling the AK races.

Imagine Biden somehow won with Georgia and ALASKA. Would be a sufficiently bizarre end to such a crazy year.
Imagine if end up with 51 Senators after the GA run-offs.

My hope is that the 2020 curse has run out at that point.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #8577 on: November 04, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »

I've a question. Does anyone have a guess as to how many counties Biden won? Looking at the county map, it appears that Biden flipped about 15-20 Trump counties from 2016 nationwide, while Trump flipped about a dozen Clinton counties. Biden didn't come anywhere near to approaching Barack Obama's 2012 numbers, let alone his 2008 numbers.

Bumping this forward because I don't think it was seen.
biden was leading in 524 last time i checked. there's a roughly equal number of counties on both sides that will likely flip once outstanding votes come in, so it should stay in the 520-530 range

The counties Biden flipped are generally much larger suburban ones though.  So he's definitely improving on popular vote numbers overall.
i was referring to counties like lehigh, erie and bucks that are currently skewed to trump, but will go for biden once mail-ins are counted. and vice versa for counties like walla walla, placer, hunterdon that skew democratic right now.

in the end i'd expect there to be ~16 clinton-trump counties and ~54 trump-biden counties
Asta

« Reply #8578 on: November 04, 2020, 11:16:08 PM »

Late in the game but I voted for Jorgensen. Can’t wait until we have a Republican candidate I feel good about supporting again.

Just random comment, but is it just me or does Atlas have over-representation of blue avatars and conservatives that are soft Trump supporters or NeverTrump people?

RINO Tom, ExtremeRepublican, DTC etc. come to mind, (Sorry if I missed anyone) and I've seen handful of blue avatars with Biden Harris endorsements. Just kind of amazing.

Roll Roons and Penn Quaker Girl are two others. But yes, they are definitely overrepresented on this forum, compared to the country at large. It's clear that the Lincoln Project failed in its objectives, and the Republican base-as we all knew-are firmly behind Trump. Trump apparently got 93% of the Republican vote in this election.

Without the project, Trump may have gotten 94-95%. Who knows? MI, WI, GA, NV and PA were all nail-biters. If it ended up convincing his supporter to vote for Jorgensen or Kanye, then that's all Biden really needed. I don't think it made much of a difference but it may have been enough to tip states like NV and GA.
philly09

« Reply #8579 on: November 04, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »

Anybody know what happened with Will Hurd's seat in TX?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8580 on: November 04, 2020, 11:17:14 PM »

I guess it stayed R because of the rural Hispanic swing in the RGV. I really wish Will had run for reelection, because he would have won easily.
New York En Marche!
amcrmcm
Rookie

« Reply #8581 on: November 04, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »

Imagine if end up with 51 Senators after the GA run-offs.

My hope is that the 2020 curse has run out at that point.

Glad the runoffs are in January
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8582 on: November 04, 2020, 11:17:29 PM »

Biden up 16.5 in Chester co. PA

Was Clinton +9.4 in 2016.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8583 on: November 04, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »

With 100% of precincts reporting, Trump carried Kleberg County, Texas, becoming the first Republican since George W. Bush to do so.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8584 on: November 04, 2020, 11:18:33 PM »

I've a question. Does anyone have a guess as to how many counties Biden won? Looking at the county map, it appears that Biden flipped about 15-20 Trump counties from 2016 nationwide, while Trump flipped about a dozen Clinton counties. Biden didn't come anywhere near to approaching Barack Obama's 2012 numbers, let alone his 2008 numbers.

Bumping this forward because I don't think it was seen.
biden was leading in 524 last time i checked. there's a similar number of counties on both sides that will likely flip once outstanding votes come in, so it should stay in the 520-530 range

524? That would be an increase upon Hillary Clinton, who only won 490 last time around. But still, it's far short of the 693 counties that Obama carried in 2012 and the 875 that he won in 2008. That's a reflection of how intense geographic polarization has come. However, as was pointed out on here, Biden flipped several populous suburban counties, so that's helping him to pad his PV margins.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8585 on: November 04, 2020, 11:18:38 PM »

It's fascinating to me that Trump is on track to lose (and lose the popular vote fairly substantially) yet Democrats are doing terrible down ballot, not even winning easy pickups like this one.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8586 on: November 04, 2020, 11:19:08 PM »

From the perspective of a supporter of Trump, the past 24 hours could not have been more horrifying.

Most of them were expecting a quick victory, allowing them to get ample and sound sleep. Many of them did.

Then they woke to the news that Wisconsin flipped due to black people in Milwaukee voting fraud, and then the news that 1.5 million almost entirely Democratic mail-in ballots in Pennsylvania seemingly came from thin air. Then came the flip in Michigan, caused by black people in Detroit more fraud. News from Georgia and Arizona depressed their spirits further.

If Biden won a 413 landslide on election night, it would have been the equivalent of a shot to the head. But this drawn-out turn of events was death by a thousand cuts. It was definitely much worse than how Democrats felt in 2016.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #8587 on: November 04, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »

Probably something similar to those weird pro-Trump swings in the Rio Grande Valley. The Republican candidate in TX-23 is even a Hispanic male.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8588 on: November 04, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »

Biden up 16.5 in Chester co. PA

Was Clinton +9.4 in 2016.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8589 on: November 04, 2020, 11:20:10 PM »

I think Gross would have to win about 2/3 of the VBM ballots to have a shot.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #8590 on: November 04, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »

Probably something similar to those weird pro-Trump swings in the Rio Grande Valley. The Republican candidate in TX-23 is even a Hispanic male.
Yup. Tony Gonzalez (i think his name is) won by 3 points.
gardenofoden
United States

« Reply #8591 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »

Did you know that he used to play basketball?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #8592 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:37 PM »

It's fascinating to me that Trump is on track to lose (and lose the popular vote fairly substantially) yet Democrats are doing terrible down ballot, not even winning easy pickups like this one.

Honestly, I believe a large percentage of republicans and people that are moderates that supported the down ticket just got tired of Trump. It is sad but probably the case. Sad
politics_king
United States

« Reply #8593 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »

I read that and thought you were talking about the Football Player lol
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #8594 on: November 04, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »

I've noticed that things are kind of polarized by state. Bordeaux actually flipped GA-7 here in Georgia, yet Democrats are whiffing big time in Texas, etc.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #8595 on: November 04, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »

Did you know that he used to play basketball?
Might have misremembered the name lol

Point still stands.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8596 on: November 04, 2020, 11:23:09 PM »

He'd be the second Gonzalez in the House Republican Conference.
philly09

« Reply #8597 on: November 04, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »

What was Dan Crenshaw's margin?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8598 on: November 04, 2020, 11:24:26 PM »

Late in the game but I voted for Jorgensen. Can’t wait until we have a Republican candidate I feel good about supporting again.

Don't worry, the Republican Party will be back to nominating a warmongerer who doesn't much care about people dying from lack of healthcare before you know it. He won't tweet too much so you'll all love him.

Being condescending like that is totally going to make me switch to red avatar and start voting for your preferred candidate.

Haha. Very funny.

If Republicans didn't budge an inch after Donald Trump's actions over the last four years, capped off by deliberately setting in motion the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, they were never going to vote for anyone without an (R) after their name.

If there's one thing this election has made crystal clear: trying to appeal to Republicans is futile. Reason, decency, self-interest, the future, none of it matters a bit.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #8599 on: November 04, 2020, 11:24:40 PM »

He'd be the second Gonzalez in the House Republican Conference.

Anthony Gonzalez (R-OH) is a former NFL player.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 341 342 343 [344] 345 346 347 348 349 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies