2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 [784] 785 786 787 788 789 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 617041 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19575 on: November 25, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »

So in all seriousness....does anybody actually know why New York counts votes slower than Trump walks down the West Point ramp?

Well, by law, they can't even start till like a week or ten days after election day.  And then, unlike many places, they don't provide updates of partial counts, they don't report until everything is done.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19576 on: November 25, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »

They unstickied the thread!

Well gentlemen (and ladies), it has been a privilege posting with you these past few weeks. But it looks like the 2020 election season is just about (finally) over.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19577 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »

Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #19578 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »

Yeah Obama won the tipping point state by 5.4%, Biden has won it by just 0.6%. Sadly, in the American system that's what matters.

The fact that in both 2012 and 2008 the tipping point state was Colorado feels very weird looking back at it. Colorado didn’t really feel like a crucial battleground either time, more emphasis was placed on OH, FL, VA and PA.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19579 on: November 25, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2020, 11:45:45 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

Yeah Obama won the tipping point state by 5.4%, Biden has won it by just 0.6%. Sadly, in the American system that's what matters.

The fact that in both 2012 and 2008 the tipping point state was Colorado feels very weird looking back at it. Colorado didn’t really feel like a crucial battleground either time, more emphasis was placed on OH, FL, VA and PA.

Both cycles it was considered a tossup though. CO was a relative new swing state; FL and OH were more sensational because they were the larger prizes, same with PA, and VA had gotten a lot of media. CO never really got that.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19580 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:56 AM »

Both cycles it was considered a tossup though. CO was a relative new swing state; VA and OH were more sensational because they were the larger prizes, same with PA, and VA had gotten a lot of media. CO never really got that.
CO will probably never get that kind of attention. Its days as a swing state are passed.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19581 on: November 25, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

ProgressiveModerate: could you make Georgia (and presumably Arizona when it certifies) just a little bit darker?  That extremely light blue is almost indistinguishable from a non-certified state.
n1240

« Reply #19582 on: November 25, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »

Dane/Milwaukee recount status:

Dane: 11.2% of vote recounted, Biden loses 35 votes, Trump loses 13 votes, Trump net of 22 votes
Milwaukee: 12.6% of vote recounted, Biden gains 1 vote, Trump gains 1 vote, net of 0 votes

Milwaukee City and Madison currently do not have any votes tabulated for their recounts yet.

update:

Dane: 23.2% of vote recounted, Biden loses 51 votes, Trump loses 10 votes, Trump net of 41 votes
Milwaukee: no change, will check later

Dane: 36.2% of vote recounted, Biden loses 81 votes, Trump loses 15 votes, Trump net of 66 votes
Milwaukee: 25.7% of vote recounted, Biden gains 3 votes, Trump loses 6 votes, Biden net of 9 votes

note: nothing from Milwaukee city or Madison (they don't seem to report results until full municipalities are counted)

Dane: 46.7% of vote recounted, Biden loses 83 votes, Trump loses 17 Votes, Trump net of 66 votes
Milwaukee: 41.0% of vote recounted, Biden gains 10 votes, Trump loses 4 votes, Biden net of 14 votes
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19583 on: November 25, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »

Only Putin is left.

Русские своих на войне не бросают.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19584 on: November 25, 2020, 12:04:50 PM »

Prediction: this thread probably hits 300 pages and the site will crash multiple times.

This, a thousand times this.

Almost 800...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19585 on: November 25, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »

Prediction: this thread probably hits 300 pages and the site will crash multiple times.

Almost 800...
779 pages to date. That's certainly something. Longest running thread in Atlas history.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19586 on: November 25, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »

ProgressiveModerate: could you make Georgia (and presumably Arizona when it certifies) just a little bit darker?  That extremely light blue is almost indistinguishable from a non-certified state.

I agree, it's a terrible gradient, almost painful to look at
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19587 on: November 25, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »

Both cycles it was considered a tossup though. CO was a relative new swing state; VA and OH were more sensational because they were the larger prizes, same with PA, and VA had gotten a lot of media. CO never really got that.
CO will probably never get that kind of attention. Its days as a swing state are passed.

I think geographic isolation from the rest of the swing states of its era was a big factor.  Colorado had <10 EV and was in a different time zone from every other competitive state.  Consider how national Republicans poured resources into Virginia much longer than they ever should have because it was right next to DC. 
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19588 on: November 25, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »

I think geographic isolation from the rest of the swing states of its era was a big factor.  Colorado had <10 EV and was in a different time zone from every other competitive state.  Consider how national Republicans poured resources into Virginia much longer than they ever should have because it was right next to DC. 
Good point.
It might have been different if NM and AZ were massively up for grabs as well in the 2010s?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #19589 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »

Seen people sharing this tweet -- assuming it's partly/entirely BS, as it's from Epoch Times, but I don't know enough about the process to say for sure. Does anyone know what it's about?

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19590 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »

Good point.
It might have been different if NM and AZ were massively up for grabs as well in the 2010s?

I'm sure it would have been.  Also, thinking about 2020, Biden probably didn't give AZ/NV enough attention for this reason.  He probably hit the saturation point in PA long before election day, and the convenience stops in OH were the Dem version of the 2018 RNC spending in NOVA.   
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19591 on: November 25, 2020, 12:30:50 PM »

Good point.

I'm sure it would have been.  Also, thinking about 2020, Biden probably didn't give AZ/NV enough attention for this reason.  He probably hit the saturation point in PA long before election day, and the convenience stops in OH were the Dem version of the 2018 RNC spending in NOVA.   
More generally, the American West had/has a ton of really safe states (UT, MT, WY, ID for Rs; WA, OR, CA, NM for Ds). This can disincentivize a "Western strategy".
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19592 on: November 25, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »

Almost 800...

I am stunned that this site didn't crash on election night.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19593 on: November 25, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »

Seen people sharing this tweet -- assuming it's partly/entirely BS, as it's from Epoch Times, but I don't know enough about the process to say for sure. Does anyone know what it's about?

Yeah... I'm not seeing anything from a credible news source confirming this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19594 on: November 25, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »

Almost 800...

You can thank Dave Leip and Virginia for the server upgrades and improvements.  Amazing job.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19595 on: November 25, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »

The only thing I've seen that might be related is this:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19596 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »

The only thing I've seen that might be related is this:

For some reason, MAGA twitter thinks this means the certification has been blocked.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19597 on: November 25, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »

Almost 800...

You can thank Dave Leip and Virginia for the server upgrades and improvements.  Amazing job.
We have the best modadmins, the best modadmins. No crashes on Election night. Imagine that. People go and tell me, "why did Virginia do so well", I say "look, I like the fact you recognize her greatness, but she's sticking with us". This is the best place, the best place to discuss politics online. Just incredible. Nowhere is better than this site. Best modadmins, best modadmins. The userbase is tremendous. So, I say, "Thank you, thank you, you're so kind. Join the site and you'll have Virginia as your modadmin too." This works every time. Remarkable. Just remarkable. Virginia is the best data modadmin God ever created.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #19598 on: November 25, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »

This should have been split up at 160 but if the site is still running with it, I’ll leave it up.

With that said, all good (or depending on your point of view, bad) things come to an end. I’ll lock somewhat soon.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19599 on: November 25, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »

This should have been split up at 160 but if the site is still running with it, I’ll leave it up.

With that said, all good (or depending on your point of view, bad) things come to an end. I’ll lock somewhat soon.

Uh, New York
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 [784] 785 786 787 788 789 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies