The future of Never Trumpers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The future of Never Trumpers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The future of Never Trumpers  (Read 650 times)
MargieCat
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »

Assuming a Trump loss on Tuesday, the GOP will likely throw Trump under the bus.

What happens to people like John Kasich, Carly Fiorina, and Jeff Flake?  Republicans that had enough of a backbone to reject Trumpism and stick with it. So many republicans went from Trump haters to his biggest sycophants. Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Nikki Haley... The list goes on and on.

Do the never Trumpers have a future in the GOP? I assume that the sycophants will sweep Trump under the rug and pretend he never existed. Will Kasich and Fiorina be forever labelled as RINOs and be blackballed from the national party? Romney can retain his senate seat as long as he pleases, but I doubt he can ever get the republican nomination again.

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »

They'll become Democrats. This is how a realignment works.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »

For all the hang-wringing about Mitt Romney and John Kasich, guess what?  They're still Republicans.  I don't see how they would be more motivated to leave during an opposition period where Trump had just been soundly rejected.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »

The Republican party has to figure out healthcare. If they did this, they probably wouldn't lose many elections.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »

The Republican party has to figure out healthcare. If they did this, they probably wouldn't lose many elections.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

They'll become Democrats. This is how a realignment works.

Some of the more moderate neocons will but I seriously can't see someone like John Kasich (or people who share his politics) ever becoming Democrats. Obviously the more vocal NeverTrump Republicans have no future in the GOP in terms of holding elected office but the sort of voter that's pro-life, hostile to unions and conservative on the vast majority of issues but just thought that Trump needed to lose because he was unstable/because they still believe in trusting public health officials in the midst of a pandemic's natural home is still the GOP. Frankly I don't want them as Democrats, they deserve a sane conservative party that represents their views (something it's up to them to build) and liberals deserve a sane left-of-center one that represents ours. A political system in which we have one far-right party with a significant white nationalist contingent and a big tent party that contains everyone from Carly Fiorina to Ilhan Omar does not bode well for the future, especially when the structure of our system allows the former to wield a degree of power that far exceeds the amount of actual popular support they have.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »

For all the hang-wringing about Mitt Romney and John Kasich, guess what?  They're still Republicans.  I don't see how they would be more motivated to leave during an opposition period where Trump had just been soundly rejected.

Exactly, this would be like if I and other Berniecrats had left the Democrats after Hillary lost.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2020, 03:36:06 PM by MABA 2020 »

Most will try to return to the Republican Party and undo what Trump has done. They will not succeed
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »

They take back the GOP or they join the Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies