will moderates DEMs keep power for 4 OR 8 more years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:17:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  will moderates DEMs keep power for 4 OR 8 more years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: will moderates DEMs keep power for 4 OR 8 more years?  (Read 669 times)
win win
dxu8888

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »

I believe Biden will be a moderate DEM president like Obama.
With the pending election of Biden, will the moderate wing hold presidential power for the next 8 years? Or 4 years? What will we hear from the Bernie wing for the next 4-8 years? Do you think they will be ok with it or challenge Kamala in 2024?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »

Probably 12 years. It's hard to imagine a scenario where Biden or Harris isn't the nominee in 2024 and 2028.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 06:03:43 PM »

Biden/Harris govern as slightly liberal versions of Obama for four years. If Harris wins in 2024 (I'd be damn shocked if Biden ran for a 2nd term, especially if he won it), she'll inch a bit to the left of that, especially if she has one or both houses of Congress for two years with the Presidency. If the GOP does in fact win in 2024, the Dems will shift pretty hard left in response and whoever gets nominated in 2028 will be pretty far left. Whether that translates into a Democratic win or not, is hard to say as 8 years in politics is a long time.

In short, I think you'll see a gradual leftward shift through the 2020s under Biden/Harris or a accelerated one if a Republican beats Harris in 2024 or God forbid Trump does in fact win this year.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »

I think 2024 will be a layup Dem victory unless something drastic happens to lower Biden’s approval rating. Assuming that doesn’t happens, 2024 will be similar to 2012 where the current President rides on the unpopularity of the last one and some well-received policies to get a solid EC victory that’s smaller than 4 years previous but still substantial enough to get over 50% in the PV. 2028 is impossible to predict, especially since we don’t know if it’s Biden’s 2nd term or Harris’s 1st. I’m not going to try to call that one.

As for the Bernie wing, I think they will challenge Biden/Harris in 2024 but do even worse than Bernie did this year. You can’t win a primary against the current administration, you just can’t.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2020, 06:34:57 PM by GP270watch »

Biden is going to be fossil in 2024 if he wins. I was reading a news story about how people were very nervous in 1980 that Reagan was too old and he was turning 70! Trump is too old as well. If Biden wins he should be a one term President and step down.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 06:31:20 PM »

Would not be surprised to see Biden be the opposite of Obama - campaign as a moderate, then govern as a progressive.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 06:52:45 PM »

2021-2025: Joe Biden 
2025-2033: Kamala Harris
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »

2021-2025: Joe Biden 
2025-2033: Kamala Harris

Normally I'm hesitant to endorse the idea of 12 consecutive years of any party in the White House, but if Biden really only does 1 term, and 2024's nominee is a Strong Candidate™ that wins in their own right (whether it be Kamala or not), the chances of a 12 year Democratic executive branch is better than it usually is. It's just easier for an incumbent to win, and a fresh candidate from 2024-onwards will be able to shed any negative issues Biden gets from COVID/the recession, while being able to run on the recovery.

All of this is made easier with the fact that Democrats simply have more voters than Republicans, and growing by the day with the ascension of the Millennial/Zoomer generations.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Kamala moves to the left in 2024 assuming Biden doesn't seek re-election.

I don't know if she'll choose a running-mate from the Bernie/AOC wing, but I bet she chooses someone like Pete Buttigieg or Julian Castro. More to the left of Biden but not full progressive.

There's a possibility that the rust belt might start to slip away from the democrats. By picking someone of Latino descent, it will help her in Southwestern states like Texas and Arizona. And I think it's time for a major party to run a Latino candidate and I'd prefer that it wouldn't be Cruz or Rubio from the GOP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies