Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:34:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps  (Read 2670 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2006, 06:10:10 PM »

Appeals court backs Bush on wiretaps

By PETE YOST
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- A federal appeals court sided with the Bush administration Friday on an electronic surveillance issue, making it easier to tap into Internet phone calls and broadband transmissions.

The court ruled 2-1 in favor of the Federal Communications Commission, which says equipment using the new technologies must be able to accommodate police wiretaps under the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, known as CALEA.

Judge David Sentelle called the agency's reading of the law a reasonable interpretation. In dissent, Judge Harry Edwards said the FCC gutted an exemption for information services that he said covered the Internet and broadband.

The FCC "apparently forgot to read the words of the statute," Edwards wrote.

FCC chairman Kevin Martin said the decision ensures that law enforcement's ability to conduct court-ordered electronic surveillance will keep pace with new technology.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:46:17 PM »

A good ruling.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »

Let's hope the Supreme Court follows suit. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »

^^^^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

A very good ruling.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »

Is this the fascist orgy thread?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »

No it the common sense threat that says that says that sometimes, law enforcement does have to wiretap communications devices.

Do you now oppose court ordered wiretaps?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 07:52:37 PM »

No it the common sense threat that says that says that sometimes, law enforcement does have to wiretap communications devices.

Yep Smiley

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 07:54:34 PM »

Yep Smiley

Dave

I'll remember that the next time a terrorist sets of a bomb in your block.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 08:12:24 PM »

Yep Smiley

Dave

I agree with the point you made rather about this being a common sense thread (hence the smiley)

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:52:17 PM »

Yep Smiley

Dave

I agree with the point you made rather about this being a common sense thread (hence the smiley)

Dave

Sorry, I keep foorgetting that unlike the other red avatar on this thread, you're normal.  Wink
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »

Yep Smiley

Dave

Dave

Sorry, I keep foorgetting that unlike the other red avatar on this thread, you're normal.  Wink

You're also forgetting me.  Tongue
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:14 PM »

I am absolutely appalled that a court would put the protection of American lives over the rights of terrorists to plot deadly attacks without surveillance or discovery by the government.

The Bush administration should be excoriated for trying to protect American lives.  IMPEACH BUSH NOW!!!!!!

I love the way it's the same people who say Bush is fully responsible for failing to prevent the Sept. 11th attacks who now attack him for putting in place some surveillance measures that will hopefully prevent future attacks.  I wonder if these people have ever actually been successful at a difficult and far-flung task, as opposed to just sitting around in an ivory tower criticizing others.  I think I know the answer to that question.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:32 PM »

I generally support a broad right to wiretap when a warrant has been obtained, though obviously it can easily go too far. I think I would support this ruling, though.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:27:21 PM »

Seems like a good ruling.  A rough balance has to be maintained and the courts need maintain that balance.  In this particular instance, I think the court got it right IMHO.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:48:43 PM »

I don't know, but am I the only one thinking there's no reason for the government to spy on its own people?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 10:57:44 PM »

Yep Smiley

Dave

Dave

You're also forgetting me.  Tongue

You not normal either, but it's a good abnormality. Tongue Wink
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »

This case has nothing to do with the Constitution, and everything to do with a particular statute--the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (see text).

The act provides that, in general, its requirements do not apply to "persons or entities insofar as they are engaged in providing information services," Sec. 102, (Cool(C)(i). The term "information services" is defined as including: "(i) a service that permits a customer to retrieve                       stored information from, or file information for storage in, information storage facilities;  (ii) electronic publishing; and (iii) electronic messaging services," Sec. 102 (6)(B).

Surely, the Internet and broadband qualify as "information services" under these definitions. The Internet obviously "permits a customer to retrieve stored information..." Thus, it would appear that the Internet is exempt from the act.

I might be wrong, as I have not read the whole statute. But at the very least, I do not see how others can be so confident that this is a good ruling.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 11:06:08 PM »

I don't know, but am I the only one thinking there's no reason for the government to spy on its own people?

If I was suspected of plotting an armed robbery, and the police had probable cause, that would be a good reason.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 11:08:38 PM »

Um, no.  All that is required is some fake considerations and you get a blank check for spying.  No thanks.  The government can screw off.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 12:00:11 AM »

Um, no.  All that is required is some fake considerations and you get a blank check for spying.  No thanks.  The government can screw off.

Amazingly, Richius and I agree on something.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »

The fact is the Bush adminstration has ignored the laws that you are required to have permission from a judge to perform a wiretap.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 01:08:53 AM »

The fact is the Bush adminstration has ignored the laws that you are required to have permission from a judge to perform a wiretap.

Actually, that is not the "fact" in this case.  The case deals if the FCC can require manufactures to make it technically possible to wiretap a new device.

It a commonsense approach that has nothing to with authorizing wiretaps.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 01:46:40 AM »

Actually, that is not the "fact" in this case.  The case deals if the FCC can require manufactures to make it technically possible to wiretap a new device.

Well, you might be right, but I don't support anything that gives the adminstration more power until they start following the damn law.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 01:54:25 AM »

Well, you might be right, but I don't support anything that gives the adminstration more power until they start following the damn law.

It doesn't even give them more power.  It's about requirements for the hardware.  This is basically saying that I can't buy a telephone that cannot physically be tapped.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies