Why is Biden polling better in WI than PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:18:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why is Biden polling better in WI than PA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is Biden polling better in WI than PA  (Read 1400 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »

I remember when a lot of forecasters thought WI would be the tipping point state and vote to the right of PA. Now it seems like the opposite based on recent polling.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:34:32 PM »

Because his support there is stronger. It's the only2016 "firewall" state where he won through a surge of votes, instead of simply a drop in D turnout.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »

Several reasons.

1:
Because his support there is stronger. It's the only2016 "firewall" state where he won through a surge of votes, instead of simply a drop in D turnout.

2: Wisconsin has the combination of the Driftless bouncing back toward the Democrats and suburbs shifting left. Pennsylvania only has the suburbs. Those rurals aren't coming back.

3: Wisconsin is currently experiencing a massive virus surge, which has been ongoing for a while now. During the summer it became clear that virus surges push Trump down a bit and Biden up a bit in places where they happen. We saw it in Texas and Florida, and now we see it in Wisconsin and Iowa.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »

The answer is that the polling in Wisconsin is off by more.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:40:35 PM »

ok doomer
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:41:41 PM »

Several reasons.

1:

2: Wisconsin has the combination of the Driftless bouncing back toward the Democrats and suburbs shifting left. Pennsylvania only has the suburbs. Those rurals aren't coming back.

3: Wisconsin is currently experiencing a massive virus surge, which has been ongoing for a while now. During the summer it became clear that virus surges push Trump down a bit and Biden up a bit in places where they happen. We saw it in Texas and Florida, and now we see it in Wisconsin and Iowa.

Why is the Driftless area more receptive to Biden than the PA rurals?
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »

Several reasons.

1:

PA rurals in my experience are more similar to Appalachans.

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 10:45:53 PM »

Wisconsin had a massive drop in voters going for either major party, and is one of the states Hillary lost the most votes in from Obama--there might be a larger pool of D voters who simply didn't like Hillary that Biden could regain.

Literally do you have a shred of evidence to make this claim? Biden's at or over 50%, much smaller undecided pool this election, and at no point was Hillary over-polled.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »

Wisconsin had a massive drop in voters going for either major party, and is one of the states Hillary lost the most votes in from Obama--there might be a larger pool of D voters who simply didn't like Hillary that Biden could regain.

Literally do you have a shred of evidence to make this claim? Biden's at or over 50%, much smaller undecided pool this election, and at no point was Hillary over-polled.

My evidence is that polling overestimated Democrats in Wisconsin more than it overestimated them in Pennsylvania in both 2016 and 2018. In terms of fundamentals, Wisconsin is whiter and less-educated than Pennsylvania.

Please don't misconstrue this as me saying that Biden will lose Wisconsin, I'm just answering the question posed in the title.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 10:47:37 PM »

What about vote-switchers?
Buzz

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »

Wisconsin is harder to poll.  It polled 4 points to the left of PA in 2016 yet netted the same.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 10:50:43 PM »

It went strongly D in the 2018 midterms, it was decidedly less Trumpy than its surroundings in 2016, and it's culturally distinct - more akin to rural New England than to anywhere in the Midwest.

Also, it's the most logical way to explain Biden doing better in Wisconsin polling than Pennsylvania polling.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 10:52:39 PM »

It went strongly D in the 2018 midterms, it was decidedly less Trumpy than its surroundings in 2016, and it's culturally distinct - more akin to rural New England than to anywhere in the Midwest.

Also, it's the most logical way to explain Biden doing better in Wisconsin polling than Pennsylvania polling.

How exactly are they different? What about them makes them behave differently?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:50 PM »

This is a good question I remember so many threads asking if the wi bet of Wisconsin definetly wins the election and I was convinced that was the case.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 10:57:20 PM »

I think there was a feeling that the Philly area is far too anti-Trump for him to overcome. Meanwhile, Milwaukee is much more evenly split and Madison too small to overpower the rest of the state.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »

My evidence is that polling overestimated Democrats in Wisconsin more than it overestimated them in Pennsylvania in both 2016 and 2018. In terms of fundamentals, Wisconsin is whiter and less-educated than Pennsylvania.

Please don't misconstrue this as me saying that Biden will lose Wisconsin, I'm just answering the question posed in the title.

I'm trying to get where you're seeing the polls having over-estimated them in the first place when Hillary's vote share was almost spot-on as far as the averages. Margins don't matter in the end (see my sig) and both Trump and Hillary came in higher than the % polls had them at--final result was R 47.2-D 46.5, and RCP average was R 40.3-D 46.8. Undecideds simply broke heavily for Trump, and there were a lot of them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 11:13:29 PM »

Man and to think I thought LimoLiberal was worth taking off ignore. Back on it you go.

This is not true. Turnout dropped worse in Milwaukee than in Philadelphia. Also Trump received slightly less votes than Romney did in Wisconsin.

If we assume the polls are correct there's several possible answers to this question but we won't know until we have county/precinct results. My suspicion: Biden is set to perform the strongest in WOW of any Democrat since 1964. (This is actually probably also true of outer ring Philly suburbs and Chester County, but this would be less of a bounce for him.)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 11:48:33 PM »

Man and to think I thought LimoLiberal was worth taking off ignore. Back on it you go.

This is not true. Turnout dropped worse in Milwaukee than in Philadelphia. Also Trump received slightly less votes than Romney did in Wisconsin.

If we assume the polls are correct there's several possible answers to this question but we won't know until we have county/precinct results. My suspicion: Biden is set to perform the strongest in WOW of any Democrat since 1964. (This is actually probably also true of outer ring Philly suburbs and Chester County, but this would be less of a bounce for him.)

I was referring to Trump's strength being stronger in Pennsylvania and vote dropping in Wisconsin, it seems I both misread the question and mixed up my answer.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »

It could be that polling will be a bit off in WI (not enough for Trump to win it), or because his 2016 win there was more due to anti-Clinton sentiment, since he did only get 47.2%.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 02:07:56 AM »

Wisconsin got hit extra hard by the pandemic.
philly09

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »

This. The entire midwest is seeing an uptick in cases. PA has seen elevated cases, but not as much as the midwest.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 08:33:59 AM »

1) Wisconsin is more swingy than Pennsylvania

2) The virus is utterly out of control there. 
Fargobison

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »

It is more than just a Covid surge in WI, the Republican party in WI has stood in the way of dealing with it and now they are paying the political price for it.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »

Maybe the polls are off in Trump's favour in Pennsylvania. Wink
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »

I wouldn't be shocked if the polls in WI and MI are off, and Biden ends up winning all three states by around 6 points. But I don't see them being off to the point where Trump is winning WI or MI.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies