Biden writes op-ed for The Christian Post, attempts to appeal to religious voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden writes op-ed for The Christian Post, attempts to appeal to religious voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden writes op-ed for The Christian Post, attempts to appeal to religious voters  (Read 901 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »

https://www.christianpost.com/voice/the-greatest-commandment-has-guided-my-politics.html

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is asked, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?”

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind,’” he said. “This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

These abiding principles – loving God and loving others – are at the very foundation of my faith. Throughout my career in public service, these values have kept me grounded in what matters most. As a husband, father, and grandfather, they are the cornerstone upon which our family is built. Through the pain of losing my wife, my daughter, and my son, they have sustained me with eternal hope. My faith has been a source of immeasurable solace in times of grief, and a daily inspiration to fight against the abuse of power in all its forms.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »

He needs to stop with this jesus stuff its starting to bother me. I dont blame him for reaching out though but just beware there are very few actual undecideds
Asta

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »

Biden will peel a lot of evangelicals this year from Trump. A bit biased, since I also consider myself evangelical but I'm happy that he's trying to appeal to them.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »

The fact that Biden is trying to appeal to evangelicals suggests of desperation. If he was doing as well as the Fake polls were suggesting, why would he be even bothering? He no more believes those polls which have inflated his "leads" than I do! I think the Biden campaign is full of malarkey!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »

The fact that Biden is trying to appeal to evangelicals suggests of desperation. If he was doing as well as the Fake polls were suggesting, why would he be even bothering? He no more believes those polls which have inflated his "leads" than I do! I think the Biden campaign is full of malarkey!

This post suggests desperation. Desperate to believe a delusional fantasy disconnected from reality.
charcuterie

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

It's a nice sentiment, but I doubt it moves many voters. Coming from an evangelical background, there is a definite, permanent animosity towards the left that I just can't see an article moving. These people would most likely just accuse him of putting on a show for votes, imo.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 02:56:06 PM »

This is a mistake. It will backfire.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »

He needs to stop with this jesus stuff its starting to bother me. I dont blame him for reaching out though but just beware there are very few actual undecideds

Oh no, somebody who's a Christian is writing something regarding their faith. Cancel everything, it's over. Stamp Trump president for life, there's now we could possibly recover from such a scandal!
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »

It's a nice sentiment, but I doubt it moves many voters. Coming from an evangelical background, there is a definite, permanent animosity towards the left that I just can't see an article moving. These people would most likely just accuse him of putting on a show for votes, imo.

“Two Corinthians,” on the other hand... Lol
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »

He needs to stop with this jesus stuff its starting to bother me.

Can I ask why? Religious appeals from both parties' candidates were normal pre-Trump, although some candidates (Carter, Bush 43) used them more than others (Bush 41, Obama).
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »

Everything will help trump!
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 03:15:43 PM by Dr. Frankenstein »

I believe you are confusing threads. This is not the one about Trump leaving his supporters stranded after a rally.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »

Lolwat. At worst it does nothing. There is zero risk of “backfiring” here.

I maintain that you would say getting shot in the face is good for Trump.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »

If you compare Biden's Christian Post editorial to Pence's, they're night-&-day. Biden explains how his faith actually informs how his politics will treat all people. Pence, on the other hand, just explains how his & Trump's politics have exclusively benefited Christians. It's all transactional for them, & nothing more.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 03:22:25 PM »

The move makes sense.

Too often do we hear Christianity being associated with the Republican party, and it is almost always due to the abortion issue.

The world of Christianity is a wide one and involves many facets of government, not just abortion stance.

Biden tries to emphasize the human character component of Christianity, and religion in general. He is thinking that his advantages in human character, as viewed by the religion community, will far outweigh the consideration of abortion stance.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

Beautifully written. Next Tuesday we are going to put GOD back in the White House, after four years of atheism and sin.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 04:07:02 PM by Farmlands »

Beautifully written. Next Tuesday we are going to put GOD back in the White House, after four years of atheism and sin.

I feel it's disingenuous to associate Trump with atheism. He has never claimed to be anything other than a Christian man and clearly seeks to please Evangelicals most of all. Not only that, but most irreligious voters went Democratic in 2016, and by large margins at that.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 04:08:27 PM »

I still feel it's disingenuous to associate Trump with atheism. He has never claimed to be anything other than a Christian man and clearly seeks to please Evangelicals most of all. Not only that, but most irreligious voters went Democratic in 2016, and by large margins at that.

I am not religious. In part because I do not believe in deluding myself to avoid an inconvenient truth. I would have to do exactly that to believe Donald Trump is a religious man. THAT would be truly “disingenuous.” Just because he panders to evangelicals to win their votes doesn’t prove otherwise. All it proves is how cynical he is, just further confirmation that he believes in absolutely nothing and cares about nothing beyond his own immediate interests. He is a shameless man who would do and say anything to “win.” You don’t have to be religious to be repulsed by that.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 05:16:44 PM by Farmlands »

I still feel it's disingenuous to associate Trump with atheism. He has never claimed to be anything other than a Christian man and clearly seeks to please Evangelicals most of all. Not only that, but most irreligious voters went Democratic in 2016, and by large margins at that.

I am not religious. In part because I do not believe in deluding myself to avoid an inconvenient truth. I would have to do exactly that to believe Donald Trump is a religious man. THAT would be truly “disingenuous.” Just because he panders to evangelicals to win their votes doesn’t prove otherwise. All it proves is how cynical he is, just further confirmation that he believes in absolutely nothing and cares about nothing beyond his own immediate interests. He is a shameless man who would do and say anything to “win.” You don’t have to be religious to be repulsed by that.

I actually agree with you there. It's just tiresome seeing atheism used as a sort of scapegoat yet again. Especially when irreligious voters, at large, support the party opposed to the president, plus the other things I mentioned. Anyway, no matter what, I'll be really happy if Trump loses.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »

Amen! Jesus Christ will reign again!
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »

Good move by Biden.  He has nothing to lose by doing this, but can potentially peel off some Trump/Undecided voters by doing so.  Most voters aren't looking for someone that agrees with them on everything 100%, but they are looking for a candidate that reaches out to them.  "Showing up" is an important part of politics that gets lost.  I think Biden being an old school politician is helping him in a number of ways.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »

I don't think it will have any electoral effect, but I highly respect this decision.
It only makes sense that the Christian Post has op-eds from the two different camps. Speaking of which, I think it is telling that the other one was written by Pence and not by Trump (who, you know, leads the ticket).
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »

I feel it's disingenuous to associate Trump with atheism. He has never claimed to be anything other than a Christian man and clearly seeks to please Evangelicals most of all. Not only that, but most irreligious voters went Democratic in 2016, and by large margins at that.
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »

I actually agree with you there. It's just tiresome seeing atheism used as a sort of scapegoat yet again. Especially when irreligious voters, at large, support the party opposed to the president, plus the other things I mentioned. Anyway, no matter what, I'll be really happy if Trump loses.

Yeah. Kinda bigoted of Lief to conflate "atheism" with "sin" and elevate religiosity above secularism in office.
iratemoderate
Rookie
United States

P
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »

Biden will peel a lot of evangelicals this year from Trump. A bit biased, since I also consider myself evangelical but I'm happy that he's trying to appeal to them.

With respect, this will not age well. Biden is poised to pick off a few 'upscale' Evangelicals here and there, but the survey data show Trump overwhelmingly favored among this constituency. And if reports of Trump overperforming with Hispanics prove true, then I'm not sure Biden will do better with Hispanic Evangelicals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies