Youth v. elderly 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Youth v. elderly 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Youth v. elderly 1996  (Read 793 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2020, 06:40:47 PM by Does the title even matter? »

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/elections/president/pres.return.html

Green indicates a tie.

Under 30s:

Over 65s:

One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 11:44:38 PM »

This tells me Clinton could have put a number of ruby red states in play had Dems boosted their turnout numbers
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 12:27:00 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 12:32:10 AM by Asenath Waite »

This tells me Clinton could have put a number of ruby red states in play had Dems boosted their turnout numbers

Or not run such a poll driven campaign. Deciding to champion weird wedge issues like anti-tobacco probably cost him the Carolinas.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 12:27:51 AM »

Or not run such a poll driven campaign. Deciding to champion weird wedge issues like tobacco probably cost him the Carolinas.

That rotten Dick Morris
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 01:28:09 AM »

Or not run such a poll driven campaign. Deciding to champion weird wedge issues like tobacco probably cost him the Carolinas.

That rotten Dick Morris
It’s amazing how bad an influence he was on our politics and society.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 03:12:25 AM »

You can Cleary see the difference between the black-beltwhites whites and the hillbilly/cajun whites amongst 65+.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »

Clinton lost both groups in New Mexico, despite carrying the state, lol.  Middle-aged hippies delivering it to Bill?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »

Clinton lost both groups in New Mexico, despite carrying the state, lol.  Middle-aged hippies delivering it to Bill?

Fixed. Clinton actually won every age group in NM.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »

This is interesting. Dole must have been a compelling choice for some Over 65s- mostly the Greatest Generation then- because he was the last candidate to run as a decorated WWII veteran and to criticize the Baby Boomers as a greedy and unruly generation destroying the America their New Dealer parents built. At least, those who didn't believe Clinton's claim that he would slash Medicare and Social Security. The Over 65 map also has the Democrats winning the Dakotas and Montana, a region they were much closer in during the 1960s and 1970s elections in particular.

I wonder if a 65+ map of recent elections would look like a map from a few decades ago too.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »

This is interesting. Dole must have been a compelling choice for some Over 65s- mostly the Greatest Generation then- because he was the last candidate to run as a decorated WWII veteran and to criticize the Baby Boomers as a greedy and unruly generation destroying the America their New Dealer parents built. At least, those who didn't believe Clinton's claim that he would slash Medicare and Social Security. The Over 65 map also has the Democrats winning the Dakotas and Montana, a region they were much closer in during the 1960s and 1970s elections in particular.

I wonder if a 65+ map of recent elections would look like a map from a few decades ago too.

I wouldn't completely be shocked if we found out Obama actually won the 65+ vote in the Upland South/Appalachia Belt in 2008, but nada for Democrats in later elections I think. On the other hand I am fairly sure the 65+ vote in Nevada, Colorado and Virginia is still majority Republican (as of 2016). If Biden is really gaining a lot of "senior" votes, there could be interesting results I guess.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »

I wouldn't completely be shocked if we found out Obama actually won the 65+ vote in the Upland South/Appalachia Belt in 2008, but nada for Democrats in later elections I think. On the other hand I am fairly sure the 65+ vote in Nevada, Colorado and Virginia is still majority Republican (as of 2016). If Biden is really gaining a lot of "senior" votes, there could be interesting results I guess.

In 2008, Over-65s were Obama’s worst age group in Arkansas (32-65), his second worst, behind 40-49, in Kentucky (40-59), but his second best behind 18-29 in WV (43-54).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 04:10:53 AM »

The people born between the two World Wars saw the need, perhaps more than any other people in history, for a strong governmental role in the economy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies