Post your anecdotal evidence here!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 08:06:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Post your anecdotal evidence here!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Post your anecdotal evidence here!  (Read 4520 times)
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »

In 2016, four people close to me voted Trump: my mom, grandma, and two good friends. My best friend didn't vote.

The other friend wrote-in Dwight Eisenhower.

I have some bad news for your friend...

It's almost Halloween. He's entitled to be a little macabre with his write-in choices.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »

The people in my family who voted Trump were all Democrats who despised Newt, Bush, and even Trump in 2016.

The people in my family who were Republican all voted for Biden or write in
REALIGNMENT TIME
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »

The people in my family who voted Trump were all Democrats who despised Newt, Bush, and even Trump in 2016.

The people in my family who were Republican all voted for Biden or write in
REALIGNMENT ERA[/i][/b]

Well not really, the Trump voters still mostly voted Democratic Downballot while the Republicans voted for Republicans Downballot

Asta

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »

Most if not all of my friends seem to prefer Trump over Biden, so that means Trump will be headed for a landslide of historic proportions Tongue

That's interesting considering Spain seems to hate Trump.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »

One of my friends who hasn’t voted since the 90s voted for Biden.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 12:02:16 PM »

Most if not all of my friends seem to prefer Trump over Biden, so that means Trump will be headed for a landslide of historic proportions Tongue

Yeah, my circle of friends is not really representative at all of the average Spaniard. Most of my friends are Vox supporters if I am not mistaken (and Vox is an openly Trumpist party) so it is not too hard to see why most seem to want Trump to win. In fact I am relatively sure I am the only one who is left of centre. Why my circle of friends and aquaintances leans so right wing, I have no idea.

For what is worth, my family and relatives are actually much more representative of the average Spaniard and I'm pretty sure all my close relatives are in support of Biden. Then again all except my mum are left of centre, though she still prefers Biden over Trump (seeing Trump as crazy and deranged every time he makes the news)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »

My parents in Green Bay are Republicans and fairly conservative, but they are repulsed by Donald Trump and always have been. My dad is a Jewish convert to Christianity, and has liberal views on immigration and "culture war" issues. They voted Clinton, and they have a yard sign that says "Republicans for Biden."

My parents-in-law are evangelical protestants in Appleton, WI. My mother-in-law has always expressed her disgust at this president, his cronies, and his Republican enablers. My father-in-law stays very quiet during these conversations, but I think they both voted early for Biden.

Biden getting votes from white, conservative protestants in Northeast Wisconsin is a very bad anecdote for Mr. Trump.
Asta

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »

Yeah, my circle of friends is not really representative at all of the average Spaniard. Most of my friends are Vox supporters if I am not mistaken (and Vox is an openly Trumpist party) so it is not too hard to see why most seem to want Trump to win. In fact I am relatively sure I am the only one who is left of centre. Why my circle of friends and aquaintances leans so right wing, I have no idea.

For what is worth, my family and relatives are actually much more representative of the average Spaniard and I'm pretty sure all my close relatives are in support of Biden. Then again all except my mum are left of centre, though she still prefers Biden over Trump (seeing Trump as crazy and deranged every time he makes the news)

It could be something to do with generation. Are younger people more right-wing there? I know it's a common perception that younger people are more liberal but in Israel's case, for example, younger people I believe supported Netanyahu at a higher rate.
Asta

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 12:18:58 PM »

My mom voted for Trump and will do so again, enthusiastically.
My dad voted for Clinton but will reluctantly vote for Trump.
They're both evangelical Christians but they're far more devout than my siblings and I are.

My sister and I voted for Clinton in 2016 and dropped off our ballots for Biden.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »

It could be something to do with generation. Are younger people more right-wing there? I know it's a common perception that younger people are more liberal but in Israel's case, for example, younger people I believe supported Netanyahu at a higher rate.

I actually had a conversation about this on the Spanish politics thread about a week ago.

Young Spanish men, in terms of left vs right; were essencially evenly divided. However, Vox won a very narrow plurality among men aged 18-30; this being in fact the only demographic where PSOE did not win the plurality of votes.

I guess this could at least partially explain it.

Unlike in the US, age and education are not really great predictors of one's vote in terms of left vs right (though they are good predictors in terms of "traditional parties" vs "new/insurgent parties"

Young people do lean left, but it is something like a 55-45 margin (which gets erased when you reduce this to young men); not the 67-33 the US seem to get.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »

Another anecdote: I work in the financial sector. A very conservative industry. And in the state of Indiana. Our CEO is the white-haired, 60-something man of northern European descent you probably picture when you think of a CEO. At his 2019 annual address to us, he threw massive shade on the President. He also praised the Broadway show Hamilton, noting the courage it took to put together a nearly all-black cast.

In general I've seen Big Business pivoting against Republicans for several years now. Hitching your wagon to a party that's been increasingly dominated by poorer and less-educated white people fighting culture wars against a significant portion of your client base is not good for the bottom line. Wall Street may still side with Republicans (watch the Dow drop if Biden wins), but your board rooms in major cities like Indianapolis are distancing themselves. Alienating customers and business partners is frowned upon.

See also: the transformation of Pride events from grassroots LBGTQ activism to woke corporate trade shows where businesses rainbow-wash themselves. They have made a calculated bet that more is to be gained than lost by portraying themselves as welcoming diversity and inclusiveness.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »

Most of my friends are voting Biden, one holding her nose for Trump (but voted democrat down ballot for everyone else) and two friends in college in Georgetown, TX (Williamson County) voting Trump.

Me and my dad voted Trump while my mom didn't vote. If my dad's parents voted then they voted for Trump while I believe both of my dad's siblings might have voted for Biden (or maybe one did and one sat out idk). My mom's parents haven't voted since 2004 for Bush so I doubt they may have voted this time.

Pretty much everyone else in my family that I know of are either conservative republicans in Louisiana or liberal democrats in New York which won't make much of a difference since we know how both of those states are gonna go this time around.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »

Well not really, the Trump voters still mostly voted Democratic Downballot while the Republicans voted for Republicans Downballot

Yes. That's how realignments work.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »

Hank Hill is voting Dem for the first time ever.

I think Dale is a Trump 2016-2020, Peggy voted for HRC in 2016, Bobby voted for HRC too.

I think Hank may have voted for Beto against "fake" Texan Ted Cruz though.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 07:54:19 PM by Kamala's side hoe »

The person I based this fictional voter on says they’re voting for Jo Jorgensen after (half-jokingly?) claiming they would vote Trump 2020 if Kamala Harris was on the D ticket last year.

Update: They still voted D downballot.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

Putin's not an idiot. He knows Trump's likely to lose and wants to at least not piss off off the likely President elect Biden.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 01:04:37 PM »

I saw some signs the other day intended to look like homemade pro-Trump signs (black magic marker on white paperboard) but unlikely to be actually homemade as they were all at commercial property roadsides/corners. Regardless of who made them or how they were made, apparently some Trump partisan around here is worried he'll lose South Carolina, which is amusing.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »

I posted this in the early vote thread, but it kind of got lost in the post volume, and I still think it's kind of interesting. When I went to mail in my ballot here in Scotland, the guy at the shipping place said that they are sending way more ballots than in 2016. It's one thing when some suburb in Texas has huge early turnout during a pandemic when they don't all want to go on election day, but I feel like this is one of the few cases of a apples-to-apples comparison with the 2016 early vote, since people here have always had only one option: voting absentee/by mail, and as far as I know, the local American population has stayed roughly constant.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »

Hank Hill is voting Dem for the first time ever.

I think Dale is a Trump 2016-2020, Peggy voted for HRC in 2016, Bobby voted for HRC too.

I think Hank may have voted for Beto against "fake" Texan Ted Cruz though.
Dale is definitely a Qanon weirdo. I doubt Bobby votes at all. Hank probably voted Trump 2016 but prefers dignified Biden or will just sit this one out. Boomhaur and Bill are both for Trump. I could see Nancy being a Trump 16-Biden 20 voter. If Cotton was alive he would write in: MacArthur
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »

A lot more Biden signs in Yuma than I was expecting. But not a lot of Biden signs in Tempe, a college town. More Trump flags than Biden signs here.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »

Early voting, west side of Indianapolis, about 2:30 PM today:

About an hour wait to vote. Everyone wearing masks. Outdoors. The enthusiasm among left-wing voters is palpable.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »

Long nap for Rip Van Winkle through the election.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »

This can be debunked with a quick Google search.

An Oct. 25 tweet from JT Lewis, a supporter of President Donald Trump who ran for Connecticut’s state senate but later withdrew his bid, read: “Joe Biden says he won’t do any more in person campaigning for the remaining 9 days.” The tweet was later deleted.

According to the Washington Post, Biden will visit Georgia on Oct. 27. And he has plans to be in Florida on Oct. 29, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported. The Biden campaign also confirmed those reports to [FactCheck].

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/10/biden-hasnt-suspended-in-person-campaigning/
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »

This can be debunked with a quick Google search.

An Oct. 25 tweet from JT Lewis, a supporter of President Donald Trump who ran for Connecticut’s state senate but later withdrew his bid, read: “Joe Biden says he won’t do any more in person campaigning for the remaining 9 days.” The tweet was later deleted.

According to the Washington Post, Biden will visit Georgia on Oct. 27. And he has plans to be in Florida on Oct. 29, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported. The Biden campaign also confirmed those reports to [FactCheck].

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/10/biden-hasnt-suspended-in-person-campaigning/

Damn, well it was funny.  I thought I saw an NYT report on it though that day as well.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »

I was in Sumner County, Tennessee over the weekend. Tons of enthusiasm for the local races, but almost nothing for the Presidential race. Only saw 6 Trump signs/flags, with 3 for Biden. Probably saw more Jesus 2020 signs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies