2020 Absentee/Early Voting megathread 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:46:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting megathread 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 103
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting megathread 2  (Read 84964 times)
kph14
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »

I sometimes wonder how much better everyone's October in presidential years would be if Florida just had no voter registration by party
kph14
Germany

« Reply #1476 on: October 29, 2020, 11:08:47 PM »

@Limo

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1477 on: October 29, 2020, 11:11:05 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 11:28:29 PM by Neither Holy Nor Roman 👁️ »

These numbers in Texas are just insane. I seriously doubt all these people are coming out for Trump lol.

One thing to keep in mind is that in some previous years Texas early vote turnout seemed really high at the time, election day turnout ended up being a bit more underwhelming than expected at the time (or at least than hoped).

Of course, "really high at the time" and the numbers we are seeing now are in somewhat of a different league. Now, the numbers are way higher than anything seen previously, and it is hard to know how much of that portends high election day turnout, and how much of it portends a lot of cannibalized votes.

Honestly, I am not entirely sure whether additional very high election day turnout would be good or bad for Dems at this point. Normally you would say that higher turnout is good for Dems, but given that polling is showing that Biden has a pretty clear and consistent lead among those who already voted, if election day turnout doesn't end up quite as large as some of the predictions, that may not be the worst thing in the world, as at least it means fewer votes with which Biden's early vote margin can potentially be cut down.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1478 on: October 29, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »

These numbers in Texas are just insane. I seriously doubt all these people are coming out for Trump lol.

One thing to keep in mind is that in some previous years Texas early vote turnout seemed really high at the time, election day turnout ended up being a bit more underwhelming than expected at the time (or at least than hoped).

Of course, "really high at the time" is and the numbers we are seeing now are in somewhat of a different league. Now, the numbers are way higher than anything seen previously, and it is hard to know how much of that portends high election day turnout, and how much of it portends a lot of cannibalized votes.

Honestly, I am not entirely sure whether additional very high election day turnout would be good or bad for Dems at this point. Normally you would say that higher turnout is good for Dems, but given that polling is showing that Biden has a pretty clear and consistent lead among those who already voted, if election day turnout doesn't end up quite as large as some of the predictions, that may not be the worst thing in the world, as at least it means fewer votes with which Biden's early vote margin can potentially be cut down.

The only thing I’ll be paying attention to turnout-wise on Election Day is the Travis and Harris county clerks Twitter pages. Historically, Travis adds just over 100k on Election Day, and I hope that number can be driven closer to 150k to get to that coveted 700k figure. There are 855k registered voters in Travis.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1479 on: October 29, 2020, 11:15:18 PM »

Let's see what Souls to The polls do this Sunday, I wouldn't underestimate them
forza nocta

« Reply #1480 on: October 29, 2020, 11:17:02 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1481 on: October 29, 2020, 11:17:56 PM »

We could always give it back to Spain.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1482 on: October 29, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »

This may sound crazy but... is it time to send Hillary Clinton to Miami??
philly09

« Reply #1483 on: October 29, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »

Of course, "really high at the time" is and the numbers we are seeing now are in somewhat of a different league. Now, the numbers are way higher than anything seen previously, and it is hard to know how much of that portends high election day turnout, and how much of it portends a lot of cannibalized votes.

The only thing I’ll be paying attention to turnout-wise on Election Day is the Travis and Harris county clerks Twitter pages. Historically, Travis adds just over 100k on Election Day, and I hope that number can be driven closer to 150k to get to that coveted 700k figure. There are 855k registered voters in Travis.

Right now, they're 175k votes behind.
philly09

« Reply #1484 on: October 29, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »

It crossed my mind, but Bill Clinton would be the better option.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1485 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:02 PM »

Right now, they're 175k votes behind.

I expect them to get to at least 550k tomorrow, hopefully closer to 560 or even more. Anything that helps make the lines in Travis as short as possible on Election Day helps.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1486 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »

Hmm, many might still be upset with him over Elián González.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1487 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:58 PM »

Has anyone considered how the pandemic will impact Souls to the Polls?

Are churches in Florida doing in person services?  I'd assume so given the politics down there but I'd also assume there are a lot fewer attendees.  

edit - read deeper through this thread and realized they are doing virtual services.  still concerning.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1488 on: October 29, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »

Are churches in Florida doing in person services?  I'd assume so given the politics down there but I'd also assume there are a lot fewer attendees.  

I saw something on twitter that even with churches that aren't meeting in person, many Black church groups will be going to vote together as they traditionally do.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1489 on: October 29, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »

There's too much focus on Miami IMO.  If you look at the senate map, Nelson didn't do as well in Miami yet came much closer statewide.  Biden seems to be headed much more for a Nelson outcome  He should try to replicate Nelson's map but do better among seniors and try to juice up black turnout.  That seems to be the winning strategy.  
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1490 on: October 29, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »

I saw something on twitter that even with churches that aren't meeting in person, many Black church groups will be going to vote together as they traditionally do.

hopefully it gets decent turnout.  It seems to me that Democrats are headed for better turnout than 2016 at this pace.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1491 on: October 29, 2020, 11:29:19 PM »

This chart single handily eased my mind on the matter. Those 3-3's are gonna vote! Either this weekend or Trump's attack on the mail scared them into voting on Election Day. Look how good Democrats are doing at getting infrequent voters to vote! Plus those NPA's 0-3's are amazing too.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1492 on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »

There's too much focus on Miami IMO.  If you look at the senate map, Nelson didn't do as well in Miami yet came much closer statewide.  Biden seems to be headed much more for a Nelson outcome  He should try to replicate Nelson's map but do better among seniors and try to juice up black turnout.  That seems to be the winning strategy.  

I agree with this and Miami Hispanics in particular can move very differently than Hispanics in other areas (of course Hispanics are not a monolith). But the Democratic worry about Black turnout in that Politico article in is scarier, imo, because there's no reason that Miami-Dade Blacks would have different turnout than Florida Blacks, or even Blacks in the South as a whole.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1493 on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:30 PM »

Get Bill Clinton back together with his old HHS secretary Donna Shalala and ONLY good things can happen in Miami, amirite? Shalala-Clinton will electrify the Dem Miami-Dade Hispanic vote.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1494 on: October 29, 2020, 11:33:43 PM »

This chart single handily eased my mind on the matter. Those 3-3's are gonna vote! Either this weekend or Trump's attack on the mail scared them into voting on Election Day. Look how good Democrats are doing at getting infrequent voters to vote! Plus those NPA's 0-3's are amazing too.

But the 3/3s in that chart favor Republicans, although the 2/3s would more than make up for that margin.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1495 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »

I sometimes wonder how much better everyone's October in presidential years would be if Florida just had no voter registration by party

Discussion would still be dominated by Democratic turnout in Miami-Dade.

Though I'd certainly prefer that to what we have now
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1496 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:42 PM »

I agree with this and Miami Hispanics in particular can move very differently than Hispanics in other areas (of course Hispanics are not a monolith). But the Democratic worry about Black turnout in that Politico article in is scarier, imo, because there's no reason that Miami-Dade Blacks would have different turnout than Florida Blacks, or even Blacks in the South as a whole.

They said its a point lower than in 2016? That needs to get fixed before Election Day, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Am I crazy or where there similar concerns in 2016 until the last weekend? I could have sworn there was.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1497 on: October 29, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »

But the 3/3s in that chart favor Republicans, although the 2/3s would more than make up for that margin.

Yes, as of right now the Republicans have had more of their Super Voters (3/3's) vote, but that means there are more Super Voter Democrats left out there.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1498 on: October 29, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »

The Florida Dems never fail to amaze me with their incompetence.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1499 on: October 29, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »

So according to whether Atlas is freaking out or overjoyed about early numbers from certain states, we can expect this to me the result?

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 103  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies