What undermimes marriage more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:57:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What undermimes marriage more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Poll
Question: What undermimes marriage more?
High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages etc

Gays and lesbians wanting to marry.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: What undermimes marriage more?  (Read 28266 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »

Did anybody actually read my post on page five, before the four hours of argument that led to another ten pages?  One might find it useful.

I agree with a lot of what you said there, but why do you still feel that marriage between two people of the same gender is threatening to this "sacred bond" notion?

I believe that marriage is a religious institution and should be treated as such.  Thus the government has no right to define what marriage is; it should be up to the churches.  If a church allows gays to marry, that's their business and I don't disagree with their decision.  I will also reiterate that I have no problem with legalized civil unions.  But I personally view the institution of marriage from the prevailing Christian standpoint as between a man and a woman. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »

By the way, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anybody has yet pointed out that the word is 'undermine'. Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2006, 02:00:20 PM »

99.9% of all divorces are caused by marriage.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »

What about people who are simply divorced from reality?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »

What about people who are simply divorced from reality?

We're not talking about liberals here.  Just marriage.  Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

What a pointless thread. Why waste time with this silly theological debate when Inks is clearly determined to hate gays?

Oh, and Option 1.

I don't hate gays--I hate their sin and thinking, but not the person--God hates nobody, so I try my hardest not to.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

I don't think that's fair at all.  Look, he's probably from a very conservative christian family and he goes to a religious private school.  He's been taught the same things over and over again for a decade and a half.  Now that he's exposed to other viewpoints, he got a little overwhelmed.  Deep down, he's reconsidering.  Take it easy on him.

I was going on this post of his:

I'd have to be pretty much beaten over the head to even think about considering changing this one.

But that does leave open the future possibility of change, so you may be right.

The only reason I would change my thought is if Paul or God came directly to me and told me I'm wrong, or I heard some EXTREMELY compelling arguments that my version of the Greek interpretation is wrong (@ least 20x's more compelling than yours).  Just a side note, my avg. posts per day went from 9.3 something to 10.84 something.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2006, 04:44:48 PM »

What a pointless thread. Why waste time with this silly theological debate when Inks is clearly determined to hate gays?

Oh, and Option 1.

I don't hate gays--I hate their sin and thinking, but not the person--God hates nobody, so I try my hardest not to.

There might be hope for this guy after all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »

Going back to whether being gay is a conscious choice or not, and it seems that Inks is still clinging desperately to that argument, here's another two little nuggets.

First, if being gay is such a sinful and terrible thing to do, why would somebody 'choose' it?  I mean, some gay people grow up in deeply religious areas, where they have been indoctrinated to hate gay people.  Many gay people who are already 'out' are also deeply ashamed of it, or would at least prefer to be straight.

For example, my former co-worker is gay, but said that if he'd actually had a choice, he would have been straight.  He's not necessarily ashamed of what he is; he said that he's perfectly happy being gay, but would be happier being straight.  So if he 'chose' to be gay in the first place, why can't he then change back?

Second, I found this article on today's BBC website.  Apparently scientists now believe that there are certain conditions in the mother's womb that determine whether the baby will become gay; it seems to have a lot to do with the number of older biological siblings.  Nothing to do with conscious decision making.

1st: Being gay as a sin may not be that clear to people, just like people who deny Christianity--that is the ultimate "sin"--saying, "God, I'm OK on my own," but they don't say that that's a sin.

2nd: That article is ridiculous
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antibodies against your own child would probably just kill the child, not alter it's brain.  And if it did alter the brain, it wouldn't be that subtle.  It would be like rejecting a kidney from a transplant.  The kidney doesn't turn purple, it DOESN't Work!  So rejecting your child wouldn't change it subtly, it would either harshly debilitate the child, if not killing it!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »

Did anybody actually read my post on page five, before the four hours of argument that led to another ten pages?  One might find it useful.

I agree with a lot of what you said there, but why do you still feel that marriage between two people of the same gender is threatening to this "sacred bond" notion?

I believe that marriage is a religious institution and should be treated as such.  Thus the government has no right to define what marriage is; it should be up to the churches.  If a church allows gays to marry, that's their business and I don't disagree with their decision.  I will also reiterate that I have no problem with legalized civil unions.  But I personally view the institution of marriage from the prevailing Christian standpoint as between a man and a woman. 

But marriage isn't a religious institution.  A marriage certificate is a legally binding document.  Polygomy is illegal.  A 30 yr. old and a 11 yr. old getting married is illegal.  If the gov't takes a completely hands-off aproach to marriage, it would be disastrous.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »

But marriage isn't a religious institution.  A marriage certificate is a legally binding document.  Polygomy is illegal.  A 30 yr. old and a 11 yr. old getting married is illegal.  If the gov't takes a completely hands-off aproach to marriage, it would be disastrous.

How so? From the government's perspective, they are confering benefits to a man and a woman who want to live together and spend their lives together. The question naturally arises: why do the genders of the people in question matter to the government?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »

Oh, and Option 1.

I hold the same stance as Inks does which isn't really that extreme of a position.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2006, 05:33:24 PM »

I hold the same stance as Inks does which isn't really that extreme of a position.

But your views are probably more rigid, and so that leaves you with poor views.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2006, 10:56:27 PM »

How so? From the government's perspective, they are confering benefits to a man and a woman who want to live together and spend their lives together. The question naturally arises: why do the genders of the people in question matter to the government?

What is your question?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »

Oh, and Option 1.

Where were you yesterday!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2006, 01:37:55 AM »

States generally doesn't actually get involved in discussions.  He waits until they cool down, posts his position in one line, and doesn't bother to reply again. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57:59 AM »

States generally doesn't actually get involved in discussions.  He waits until they cool down, posts his position in one line, and doesn't bother to reply again. Tongue

Ya, well I lot of good that did me.  I could've used help from anybody yesterday (2 days ago now--technically)--it was like 6:1!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »

Ya, well I lot of good that did me.  I could've used help from anybody yesterday (2 days ago now--technically)--it was like 6:1!

Well, that's what you get for being wrong. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2006, 02:02:32 AM »

It's an attitude like that that's gonna get this debate started all over again.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2006, 02:04:17 AM »

Inks, I appreciate the fact that you were willing and able to persevere even in the face of overwhelming opposition. While I don't always agree with you I respect that, and learning to stand your ground for what you believe in, even in the face of opposition, is an excellent learning experience no matter whether it causes you to change your views or not.

It's important to develop faith in the goodness of your own views on their own merits rather than needing others to validate them for you with their approval, and you seem to be very good in that area, especially for someone so young.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2006, 02:06:43 AM »

Dude, I was just kidding around. Tongue

And I share Nym's sentiments - even if I think that you may just go for the conservative position and then try to justify it, no one can accuse you of caving to pressure in a debate.  That is to be admired.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2006, 02:10:26 AM »

Dude, I was just kidding around. Tongue

And I share Nym's sentiments - even if I think that you may just go for the conservative position and then try to justify it, no one can accuse you of caving to pressure in a debate.  That is to be admired.

I was joking too.  Even if you wanted to debate, I'm about ready to go to bed.

Just curious, where is it that you established your belief that homosexuality is OK.  What was the thing that led you to believe that (I know "thing" is not really a good word, but I can't think of anything else).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2006, 02:13:34 AM »

Just curious, where is it that you established your belief that homosexuality is OK.  What was the thing that led you to believe that (I know "thing" is not really a good word, but I can't think of anything else).

I do not believe that anything that does not directly and intentionally harm another person is bad.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2006, 02:18:32 AM »

I do not believe that anything that does not directly and intentionally harm another person is bad.

^^^^^^^

Although I do feel that it is immoral to hurt others, even if unintentionally and indirectly, I do also feel that the law should be designed in such a way as to best handle problems in a practical way, and that not everything that is immoral should thus be illegal.

Gay marriage on the whole does far more good than harm for society and thus should be legal.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2006, 02:48:56 AM »

^^^^^^^

Although I do feel that it is immoral to hurt others, even if unintentionally and indirectly, I do also feel that the law should be designed in such a way as to best handle problems in a practical way, and that not everything that is immoral should thus be illegal.

Gay marriage on the whole does far more good than harm for society and thus should be legal.

I can understand reckless hurting of others being immoral (and I assume that is what you refer to), but I can't imagine blaming someone for uncontrollable and unanticipatable harm to another.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies