HB 26-17: The Youth Preparedness Act of 2020 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:57:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-17: The Youth Preparedness Act of 2020 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: HB 26-17: The Youth Preparedness Act of 2020 (Passed)  (Read 1754 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2020, 10:53:28 PM »

Nay
Removing May include faith based organizations in the text doesn't exclude them. I view the text as giving a specification, but removing the words doesn't disqualify these organizations if they fit the criteria. I see it as a cosmetic change that doesn't change much, so nay just for that.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 12:16:13 AM »

Nay. I'm not fully sure how this amendment would combat religious discrimination from faith-based organizations since, as Poirot pointed out, it merely deemphasizes but otherwise preserves their status as community-based organizations.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 07:30:49 PM »

And since everyone has voted, I’ll close the vote.

By a vote of 5-4-0-0, this amendment is adopted. Debate resumes.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »

Maybe people have said all they wanted. I motion for a final vote. (but if people wanted to add something I will retract the motion to let debate continue)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 01:49:40 AM »

If my reading is correct, that "section 7" business in Section 4 refers to the definitions portion of Section 3 and an (admittedly minor) amendment is needed on that. Anyone with another interpretation?

I do still think the parameters for eligibility need a bit of clarification, and beyond that I'm not sure what extra plans the sponsor has aside from the amendment made thus far.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »

If my reading is correct, that "section 7" business in Section 4 refers to the definitions portion of Section 3 and an (admittedly minor) amendment is needed on that. Anyone with another interpretation?

I do still think the parameters for eligibility need a bit of clarification, and beyond that I'm not sure what extra plans the sponsor has aside from the amendment made thus far.
I agree there is definitely some unclarity so I’m going to write another amendment.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »

ok. I'm withrawing my motion. It seemed quiet so I presumed it was finished. Sorry.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2020, 02:46:04 AM »

Not to rush the sponsor or anything but how's the amendment coming along?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »

Not to rush the sponsor or anything but how's the amendment coming along?
Thanks for the reminder on this, will finish it up soon.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 02:48:55 AM »

Just wanted to apologize for my tardiness on this. I will try to get it done soon.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »

Bump.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 01:49:55 AM »

Sorry, I don’t like making excuses but I was distracted from this a little by what’s going on irl. I’ll get the amendment up tomorrow.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 02:30:40 AM »

AN ACT

To establish after-school youth development programs across the nation by strengthening employment preparation skills, career exploration, career development, and workforce opportunities

Be it ordained by the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
Section 1. Title
a. The title of this legislation shall be the Youth Preparedness Act of 2020

Section 2. Purpose
The purpose of this Act is to establish or expand activities to—

a. Increase access and opportunities for youth to obtain the education and training that youth need to succeed in the labor market;
b. Support engagement in and the integration of programs and activities offered during out-of-school-time hours through the workforce investment, education, and economic development systems;
c. Improve the quality of the workforce and meet the skill requirements of employers;
d. Engage employers in addressing the training, skill, and employment needs of youth and youth jobseekers, and fostering opportunities for connection and economic mobility; and
e. Include younger youth in the education and workforce investment activities in an age and developmentally appropriate manner.

Section 3. Definitions

As defined in this Act:

a. Community-based organization
    i. The term community-based organization means a youth-serving private nonprofit organization (which may not include a faith-based organization) that—
    ii. is representative of a community or a significant segment of a community;
    iii. has demonstrated expertise and effectiveness in workforce development; and
    iv. has demonstrated expertise—
    v. in the planning and delivery of education, training, and related activities that are included in a career pathway;
    vi. in forging coordination and cooperation between educators and other members of the community; and
    vii. in development and implementation of data systems that measure the progress of students and outcomes of career pathways.
b. An independent council shall determine if a Community-based organization meets these standards
    i. These councils will consist of appointees by governors at the state level.

Section 4. Establishment
a. This act shall hereby establish a Workforce readiness program.
The term workforce readiness program means an out-of-school-time program that—
    i. Meets the requirements of section 73;
    ii. is offered by a community-based organization of an eligible entity or a related covered partnership; and
    iii. is intended to help prepare eligible youth for the workforce.

Section 5. Grant program establishment

a. Grants
Using the amounts made available under section 9, the Secretary shall award grants, on a competitive basis, to eligible entities.
b. General use of funds
Grants shall be awarded on a competitive basis, to assist eligible entities in planning, developing, and implementing nationwide, comprehensive workforce readiness programs, that are—
    i. in out-of-school-time programs;
    ii. carried out by community-based organizations of the eligible entity or related covered partnerships; and
    iii. for eligible youth.
c. Periods of grants
Grants will be awarded for periods of not less than 3 years and not more than 5 years.

Okay so this amendment addresses the three main concerns that have been expressed so far. It fixes the "section 7" typo, it is more clear about not allowing faith based organizations and it establishes more regulatory oversight to make sure these programs meet the correct needs.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:46 PM »

24 hours to object to the amendment.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 02:38:06 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 05:35:39 PM »

Wait, you've added: Which may not include a faith based organization. That is a total exclusion.

We started with Which may include. Some people wanted some discrimination protection from organization. Exclusion is the radical option. Why not make the independent council decide if the organizations meet the standards, including faith-based organizations.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »

24 hours to object.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 01:10:11 AM »

The status of the amendment is unclear and I believe Poirot has raised a concern about it.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »

Believe the amendment should have gone through as there was no objection within the 24 hours (though I'll leave that up to the discretion of the Speaker).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 02:42:53 PM »

Believe the amendment should have gone through as there was no objection within the 24 hours (though I'll leave that up to the discretion of the Speaker).

As there were no objections, the amendment was adopted.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »

AN ACT

To establish after-school youth development programs across the nation by strengthening employment preparation skills, career exploration, career development, and workforce opportunities

Be it ordained by the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
Section 1. Title
a. The title of this legislation shall be the Youth Preparedness Act of 2020

Section 2. Purpose
The purpose of this Act is to establish or expand activities to—

a. Increase access and opportunities for youth to obtain the education and training that youth need to succeed in the labor market;
b. Support engagement in and the integration of programs and activities offered during out-of-school-time hours through the workforce investment, education, and economic development systems;
c. Improve the quality of the workforce and meet the skill requirements of employers;
d. Engage employers in addressing the training, skill, and employment needs of youth and youth jobseekers, and fostering opportunities for connection and economic mobility; and
e. Include younger youth in the education and workforce investment activities in an age and developmentally appropriate manner.

Section 3. Definitions

As defined in this Act:

a. Community-based organization
    i. The term community-based organization means a youth-serving private nonprofit organization (which may not include a faith-based organization) that—
    ii. is representative of a community or a significant segment of a community;
    iii. has demonstrated expertise and effectiveness in workforce development; and
    iv. has demonstrated expertise—
    v. in the planning and delivery of education, training, and related activities that are included in a career pathway;
    vi. in forging coordination and cooperation between educators and other members of the community; and
    vii. in development and implementation of data systems that measure the progress of students and outcomes of career pathways.
b. An independent council shall determine if a Community-based organization meets these standards
    i. These councils will consist of appointees by governors at the state level.

Section 4. Establishment
a. This act shall hereby establish a Workforce readiness program.
The term workforce readiness program means an out-of-school-time program that—
    i. Meets the requirements of section 73;
    ii. is offered by a community-based organization of an eligible entity or a related covered partnership; and
    iii. is intended to help prepare eligible youth for the workforce.

Section 5. Grant program establishment

a. Grants
Using the amounts made available under section 9, the Secretary shall award grants, on a competitive basis, to eligible entities.
b. General use of funds
Grants shall be awarded on a competitive basis, to assist eligible entities in planning, developing, and implementing nationwide, comprehensive workforce readiness programs, that are—
    i. in out-of-school-time programs;
    ii. carried out by community-based organizations of the eligible entity or related covered partnerships; and
    iii. for eligible youth.
c. Periods of grants
Grants will be awarded for periods of not less than 3 years and not more than 5 years.

A final vote is now open.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:43 AM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp