Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:21:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 105000 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: December 14, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

rather than saying it was rigged", along with a religious message about not idolizing politicians.

I wish more people with come around to this thinking. The American electorate has really gone wayward with its total obsession and servility to presidents. I don't even know that most voters understand the actual role of POTUS and/or the very real limits of their power, but the way people have deified some recent presidents over the past generation, particularly this last one, is probably a worthy reason for rethinking how we run our government (in my likely fringe opinion). It should worry anyone who is skeptical of government power the degree to which people mindlessly took up whatever position or idea Donald Trump decided was correct, regardless of whether it made sense or had any evidence whatsoever behind it. The number of times Trump injected fringe theories into the minds of his supporters or destroyed the careers of people who went against him is too numerous to count. And this isn't a uniquely Trumpian effect. He's just the biggest example of it so far, having pushed the limits of acceptable behavior at every turn in ways that we probably won't see again for some time, if ever.

Somewhere along the way, people, particularly conservatives right now, forgot that these people are just politicians. They deserve a heaping dose of skepticism no matter what. Not this unconditional trust and support that God itself would be envious of.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »

Deeply sorry for your loss RI - my heart goes out to you Unsure
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »

So sometimes when I take a shower I just put my clothes on the closed toilet seat lid since I don't really have anywhere else to put them in the bathroom, but last night I obviously wasn't paying attention because I plopped my clothes down into an open toilet. Not my finest hour!

I need to put some other small cabinet or shelf in there Unsure
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »

I think at any given time I have at least 2 or more website/programming projects going, but only in a theoretical sense. That is, I always "want" to work on it and get things done, and I rarely ever can seem to find the motivation to do it. I think I've been saying to myself that I'll work on the map generator on my day off for the past 2 months, and I never end up doing it. I try and remind myself several times a day and always find something else to do. At best I will get these extreme bursts of motivation once in a while that last for a month or two and then fade away for twice as long. They usually only come about when I find a novel project that interests me.

The reason I'm rambling about it is because for a while I've been pondering whether this is me trying to tell myself that I simply don't like doing that stuff and haven't for a long time, or whether I'm just chronically de-motivated outside of work. Part of me wonders that if I don't actually like any of it, why would I constantly be trying to get myself to work on it? I'm not lazy, I end up doing other things (productive or not), but what is it about programming that is so difficult to engage in? My best guess is that I like the idea of it but it feels too much like unsatisfying work and so I just avoid it like I would other things I find to be unimportant even if somewhat necessary.

I'd probably have already re-joined the industry and would be making a lot more money right now if I had an answer to this question. As it stands now, I feel like I would deeply resent the job after a year or two.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:38:22 PM »

I'd actually been wondering recently if you ever broke into the IT field professionally, given all the wonderful work you do around here.

There was a stint out of college. I didn't like it, felt out of place, enough that I said a high starting salary wasn't worth it. I didn't end up continuing.

I feel like I'd do pretty well if I did go back. My work was always given good reviews, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it. I don't even know how I would get my foot back in the door anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »

So ummm my older brother shipped out to join the Indiana National Guard literally today and NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS

Surprise military deployments are always fun
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »

So today is my 18th birthday and I gotta say it feels pretty good to be an adult now.

Congrats! It's all down hill from here Curly
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »

happy birthing day!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 08:39:00 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 09:59:49 AM »

I am lying in bed posting on Atlas while another Atlas poster sleeps next to me. AMA.

Just one? Coolface and all his socks easily top that. Tongue

Coolface regularly sleeps with dozens of other atlas accounts
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 07:28:28 PM »

Ever since Crumbl cookies opened in my area I've literally gained at least 2 lbs. I mean you can practically see the butter in the cookie after a bite.

These monsters need to be stopped.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies