Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:15:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 95
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 103239 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »

Imagine unironically supporting Mike Madigan.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

Imagine not wanting a 15-2 D gerrymander.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »

I would rather imprison all the Republicans on felony charges.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »

I would rather imprison all the Republicans on felony charges.

And Mike Madigan too.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »

Not until after redistricting
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2020, 11:24:08 PM »

Talkin about things is hard. I’m so exhausted these recent days.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2020, 02:02:59 AM »

Tell me about it; we’re all feeling the slog today
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »

Hope you're alright, king.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »

Today I realized that my father can be described pretty well as a Karen.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »

A lot has transpired in my life over the past ~10 weeks. My fiancee and I have relocated from Kansas City to Washington Island, Wisconsin after accepting a mutually beneficial arrangement with her mom. Her mom and her have had a fairly rocky relationship most of her life, so this was also meant to give them another chance to work things out; so far, it's not going so well between them. Her style of parenting and the little cultural differences that have emerged have certainly resulted in quite a lot of frustration between her and me as well, so that's been "fun." We plan on moving away in late winter, but she's adamant that we remain on the island. Needless to say, I'm not interested in staying - and not only because of the difficulties between her and us.

That leads me to my commentary on adjusting to truly rural living. This is a remote island, accessible solely by ferry, majority Trump voters, with a permanent population of only 705 people. The only music on the radio is Christian and Country, there's only one store (with limited winter hours), both churches are Evangelical Protestant, and right now hunting season using guns has begun and most men participate, and despite having one of the nation's highest Covid rates, the bars are packed with islanders and off-islanders coming for hunting season. I can only imagine how bad Covid is about to strike here. The culture clash of a left-wing city person from Florida who's never spent time in a truly rural area and never been around hunters living in a place like this has been very difficult on me. I've given this way of life a chance, but even my partner who's from here has found themselves yearning to "get back to civilization," as we say. The nature is absolutely and unquestionably beautiful; getting to see deer, turkeys, pheasants, a variety of squirrels, foxes, and so on on a daily basis, not to mention hearing the waves on Lake Michigan from our porch, has been very refreshing and pleasant. But, the culture of this place and its isolation? Not so much.

Since what little work that's available here in winter is all informal and based on who you know and what you can help them with around their property, I've had a lot more free time and was offered an excellent opportunity to return to my online university. Being older and having more experience, I felt ready to return and work towards improving my future opportunities by starting a Masters of Accountancy program with a specialization in Auditing. So far, so good in regards to that. I'm remaining as optimistic as I can be and counting down the days until we can get off this island and "get back to civilization." Rural life is just not for this person!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2020, 03:24:59 PM »

Then he desperately needs to find a new barber/hair stylist.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »

Then he desperately needs to find a new barber/hair stylist.

He probably does, but that's unrelated.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »

A lot has transpired in my life over the past ~10 weeks. My fiancee and I have relocated from Kansas City to Washington Island, Wisconsin after accepting a mutually beneficial arrangement with her mom. Her mom and her have had a fairly rocky relationship most of her life, so this was also meant to give them another chance to work things out; so far, it's not going so well between them. Her style of parenting and the little cultural differences that have emerged have certainly resulted in quite a lot of frustration between her and me as well, so that's been "fun." We plan on moving away in late winter, but she's adamant that we remain on the island. Needless to say, I'm not interested in staying - and not only because of the difficulties between her and us.

That leads me to my commentary on adjusting to truly rural living. This is a remote island, accessible solely by ferry, majority Trump voters, with a permanent population of only 705 people. The only music on the radio is Christian and Country, there's only one store (with limited winter hours), both churches are Evangelical Protestant, and right now hunting season using guns has begun and most men participate, and despite having one of the nation's highest Covid rates, the bars are packed with islanders and off-islanders coming for hunting season. I can only imagine how bad Covid is about to strike here. The culture clash of a left-wing city person from Florida who's never spent time in a truly rural area and never been around hunters living in a place like this has been very difficult on me. I've given this way of life a chance, but even my partner who's from here has found themselves yearning to "get back to civilization," as we say. The nature is absolutely and unquestionably beautiful; getting to see deer, turkeys, pheasants, a variety of squirrels, foxes, and so on on a daily basis, not to mention hearing the waves on Lake Michigan from our porch, has been very refreshing and pleasant. But, the culture of this place and its isolation? Not so much.

Since what little work that's available here in winter is all informal and based on who you know and what you can help them with around their property, I've had a lot more free time and was offered an excellent opportunity to return to my online university. Being older and having more experience, I felt ready to return and work towards improving my future opportunities by starting a Masters of Accountancy program with a specialization in Auditing. So far, so good in regards to that. I'm remaining as optimistic as I can be and counting down the days until we can get off this island and "get back to civilization." Rural life is just not for this person!
Your home should be in the outskirts of Madison, WI or the Twin City area in Minnesota tbh.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »

I tested negative for antibodies today.  I was kind of hoping that the reason I didn't get covid last month after being exposed was that I was already immune (I suppose I could theoretically be from earlier in the pandemic through t-cell immunity, but that seems less likely).  Even though I haven't let covid stop me from living my life since May 1st, there's always that tiny voice in the back of my head that cringes if I hear someone cough or that makes me smell something to make sure I still have my sense of smell.  It would have been nice for that voice to have gone away- and also simplified things with going to see older family members before Christmas.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2020, 12:37:34 AM »

My parents are watching a Lifetime (discount Hallmark) Christmas movie set in Alaska. I had to correct it when a character mentioned that they have the best gingerbread in the whole county.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »

Ya boi is COVID-free. Cool Cool Cool
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »

I finally have time to do the little things, and of course that's when things go to f*(k.

Why is orderin' a duplicate Driver's License so much hell?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »

My parents are watching a Lifetime (discount Hallmark) Christmas movie set in Alaska. I had to correct it when a character mentioned that they have the best gingerbread in the whole county.

THE BEST GINGERBREAD IN THE ENTIRE ORGANIZED BOROUGH™
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »

Found out today I’m descended from Arabs, apparently 🤔

Me and my wife did one of those DNA tests, 23andMe, and I guess my mother, who is a second generation Italian-American, must actually be an Arab. I was expecting to see at least a good amount of Italian but nah only 2% Italian and 10x that amount between Turkish, Syrian, and Egyptian.

The rest was pretty much England and France which yeah sounds about right. Still shocked about the Middle East stuff tho. Some of u guys follow me on the gram u know how pale I am. Wtf.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

Me and my wife did one of those DNA tests, 23andMe, and I guess my mother, who is a second generation Italian-American, must actually be an Arab. I was expecting to see at least a good amount of Italian but nah only 2% Italian and 10x that amount between Turkish, Syrian, and Egyptian.

The rest was pretty much England and France which yeah sounds about right. Still shocked about the Middle East stuff tho. Some of u guys follow me on the gram u know how pale I am. Wtf.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »

Sicilians are basically Arabs. Smiley
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2020, 03:51:06 PM »

I’m going to guess that the Arab factor is a mix between Maronite and Coptic Christians. A lot of Syrians, eastern Turks (in fact I’m guessing mixed Anatolian/Kurdish), and a few North Egyptians really could pass as Italian easily.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »

Amazing how a couple of successful sales can turn your mood around on a dime.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »

I came out as a transracial person today. People thought I was joking.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »

All Italians are basically Arabs. Smiley

Well except for those who are crypto-Austrians, but in Liguria we certainly don't belong to that category.

I came out as a transracial person today. People thought I was joking.

From which race to which race, if I can ask?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 95  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies