WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:43:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?  (Read 66983 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 29, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »

Pretty weak candidate. Lost WI-8 in a landslide in 2016.

Running a “strong” candidate still won’t win Dems this seat in a Biden midterm.

Depends. Against Johnson, there might be a small opening. Against Gallagher? Hell no.

No, it's not winnable in a Biden midterm, period.

Also, I don’t get why he thinks Johnson is a "weak" incumbent or that Gallagher is more likely to win statewide than Johnson. Just because you personally don’t like/like either candidate doesn’t mean they’re inherently more/less "electable" than the other, something many people here need to understand.

At this early stage of the cycle/race, I’d rate this Lean R, but it’s obviously a must-win for Republicans.

Johnson is unpopular in Wisconsin; he wanted to discount the election results in his own state. He's supported overturning election results and misled the people of WI on COVID19. I personally want Johnson to get renominated in 2022 as I see a race with Johnson as the GOP nominee as the most likely scenario where the seat flips blue. If the GOP nominates someone more mainstream, like Mike Gallagher, they will almost certainly win the seat. It's not a question of what I think of Johnson (I strongly dislike him) - but I'm quite sure that opposing the election results in his own states won't buy him the votes he needs to win. If he does win, so can any other Republican (and Johnson will likely win by a smaller amount), and if he does lose (which would likely be by a narrow margin), it would be highly impressive, given that it is a Democratic gain in a swing state in a good GOP year, and something Johnson could accomplish. If he follows his current trajectory and wins the GOP nomination, and the Democrats nominate a strong candidate, like Ron Kind, Democrats have their best shot at flipping their seat. If the GOP nominates someone mainstream and uncontroversial, like Representative Gallagher, then they'll almost certainly win (and if they do lose, then Johnson would certainly have lost as well). Because Johnson opposing WI's election results probably costs him more votes (from suburban moderates in the WOW counties) than it wins him; while Gallagher would likely keep the WOW counties solid and possibly even expand their margin from Trump's in 2020.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 10:35:24 PM »

Aside from the fact that I question Kind’s appeal as a Senate candidate (explained in an earlier post), it’s sounding like he will be running again for his House seat.  Today, I received a fundraising email from the WisDems with Kind writing the email.  Here’s an excerpt:

Quote from: Ron Kind
After 2020, it’s more apparent than ever that the road to keeping a Democratic House majority runs right through my district.

We’re not the only ones who know that. As Republicans gear up for 2022 by suppressing the vote, WisDems is all-in to win the 3rd Congressional District and defeat the Republican extremists who want to take away our freedom to vote.

That’s why I’m counting on you to chip in to help send me back to Congress in 2022. If we win in 2022, that means protecting the right to vote, passing more of President Biden’s initiatives, and getting things done for Wisconsinites.

Though the term “Congress” in the bolded part is a bit vague as it could imply Senate, the surrounding context makes it sound like he’s going for his House seat again.

Interesting...thanks for giving me this info!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:44:07 PM »

Johnson is going to run again. Otherwise he wouldn’t keep the dog and pony show going.

I want him to run again, partially to once again disprove the DC-minded concept of electability.
[/b]
Yeah, you vote in that insurrectionist sympathizer and all around quack!  That'll show those DC aristocrats!

Yes, if you live in Wisconsin and want to 'disprove the DC-minded concept of electability,' how about flipping a Senate seat blue in a swing state during a good GOP year? Of course, you could just elect the rich businessman and politician who doesn't think your vote is legitimate if you live in a swing state (I imagine you do; your image and comment suggest you reside in Wisconsin) and voted for Biden to a third term in the Senate.

And if you want to disprove the concept of electability, you should move to Illinois' 16th District and cast your vote in 2022 in the GOP primary for Adam Kinzinger - one of the 10 House Republicans who chose integrity and honesty over insurrection - because it currently seems like he will not win remomination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies