WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45
Author Topic: WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?  (Read 66873 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

Yeah, Johnson not running for re-election actually hurts Democrats unless the GOP runs an extremely boring candidate.

How so? If Johnson ends up not running, this is straight tossup.

Johnson is more likely to lose a general election than someone like Mike Gallagher. Of course, this will be a very hard seat for Democrats to win in the likely 2022 environment.

I know this is the conventional wisdom on the site, because Johnson is "toxic" or "extreme" or "an insurrectionist" or whatever (these are all accurate labels; the scare quotes were to imply that they don't matter electorally). But do we have any real evidence that it's true? Given his over-performance in 2016, and the innate advantages of incumbency, and his presumable popularity among Trump voters...I'm just not sure he's any weaker than Gallagher or whomever the WI GOP would put up. MT Treasurer has made some good posts on this point and could probably argue it better than me.

You may very well be right. I think maybe I'm in a bubble wherein I believe that there's no possible way voters could pick someone like Johnson after voting for Biden and also voting for Baldwin. But voters are not logical, so I'm fully willing to admit that I'm maybe working under a misapprehension.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2021, 12:43:34 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Nate Silver has downgraded D's chances in OH, FL, IA and NC since the Afghanistan takeover not the Blue Wall states, due to Red Wall states has US Military bases not so much Blue Wall except VA and that's the Navy not Marines like OH has, most alumnis go to Ohio State

Check out 538 maps on You tube all of the now has Par McCrory and Josh Mandel winning but Mandela Barnes or Tom Nelson and Lamb or Fetterman winning. It's his voice on You tube 538 maps

WI Lean R rating is always exacerbated every Election cycle part of reason why SN was banned he kept saying WI, PA and MI were Lean R

Just like alot of Discord posters always say that

Even if Gallagher runs Silver says it's a D takeover, Gallagher is overrated
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »

Lean R -> Lean R. I highly doubt there are hoards of Any Republican but Johnson > Any Democrat > Johnson voters, or vice versa. Wisconsin isn’t exactly a state where being perceived as a centrist makes you more “electable”, nor does being perceived as far left/right function as a vice.

No it's not, if you really think D's can't make up 359 K votes that Johnson won and Baldwin won by a landslide you are kidding yourself, Russ Feingold almost won

It's Wisconsin in a midterm, Biden only won the state because of inroads in WOW and I feel like any non Trump candidate would at least do marginally better there (surely enough to make up 20k votes or whatever), not to mention that RoJo has historically overperformed in the Milwaukee metro, so I don't see that changing.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »

Probably still Lean Republican, but really depends on candidates. Would actually be nice to have this moron out of the senate.

For some reason, I think there will be quite some ticket splitting between senate and governor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »

Probably still Lean Republican, but really depends on candidates. Would actually be nice to have this moron out of the senate.

For some reason, I think there will be quite some ticket splitting between senate and governor.

Nate Silver said it's an RH 220/215 H and D S with D's winning WI and PA 52/48 AZ, MD, MA, NH, Govs

But D's can also have a 220/215H with a 52/48 Senate and get DC Statehood

Depending on Redistricting Nate Silver said
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »

Why are people so against Barnes on Atlas? He seems like he’d do as well as Godlewksi, and seems to have a better campaign message than her.
walleye26

« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »

Why are people so against Barnes on Atlas? He seems like he’d do as well as Godlewksi, and seems to have a better campaign message than her.

I’ve answered this one many times on this board before, but again, here goes:
1) he has a history of neglecting to pay taxes and fees; he had many unpaid and delinquent taxes on his condos in Milwaukee
2) he lied about his college degree
3) his comments about the Kenosha shooting were quite harsh and anti-police
4) he has a somewhat complex relationship with the black establishment in Milwaukee; he was a state rep for awhile, but then tried to challenge another black state senator and got pretty handily crushed.

My brother said recently he talked with a friend who pretty high up in the WISDems, and his friend told him that it looks as though they will consolidate pretty quickly behind Barnes. Kind isn’t running, and Godlewski lived in DC until 2017 so she would be portrayed as a DC insider. They really don’t have a better option.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2021, 09:17:17 PM »

1) he has a history of neglecting to pay taxes and fees; he had many unpaid and delinquent taxes on his condos in Milwaukee
4) he has a somewhat complex relationship with the black establishment in Milwaukee; he was a state rep for awhile, but then tried to challenge another black state senator and got pretty handily crushed.

My brother said recently he talked with a friend who pretty high up in the WISDems, and his friend told him that it looks as though they will consolidate pretty quickly behind Barnes. Kind isn’t running, and Godlewski lived in DC until 2017 so she would be portrayed as a DC insider. They really don’t have a better option.
oooof, I didn’t know that. Ron Johnson will retire in my opinion, so Gallegher vs Barns
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »

Obviously you are in the ground in WI and I am not, but other than maybe #3, these items (especially #4) seem like thing that will ruffle feathers in political circles but not matter to real life voters.

Godlewski feels like a paper tiger to me and I think Barnes has the potential to be really strong (though this race is still an uphill battle).
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »

What about Nelson? Does he have scandals too? He looks the best to me
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »

Do not assume Ron Johnson definitely wants out. Senators often leave saying 'the gridlock/rudeness/etc. has become too much', but few opine that their legacies as failures.

"I'd rather be somewhere else," can very easily lead into a culture war refrain of "I'd rather be somewhere else, but duty calls and Biden wants to vaccinate your children." Indeed, in his interview, he says he admires George Washington because he didn't want to be president, which gives him an opportunity to present himself as some kind of reluctant hero.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »

Do not assume Ron Johnson definitely wants out. Senators often leave saying 'the gridlock/rudeness/etc. has become too much', but few opine that their legacies as failures.

"I'd rather be somewhere else," can very easily lead into a culture war refrain of "I'd rather be somewhere else, but duty calls and Biden wants to vaccinate your children." Indeed, in his interview, he says he admires George Washington because he didn't want to be president, which gives him an opportunity to present himself as some kind of reluctant hero.

For Johnson, being the nutcase he is, it's probably the reverse-the gridlock is why he is staying.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2021, 06:43:10 PM »

Nelson’s problem is that he can’t win anything outside of his own county.  He ran for WI-8 in 2016, only to lose by more than 20 points, losing his home county and even underperforming Hillary.  He also ran for LG in 2010 and lost.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »

Nelson’s problem is that he can’t win anything outside of his own county.  He ran for WI-8 in 2016, only to lose by more than 20 points, losing his home county and even underperforming Hillary.  He also ran for LG in 2010 and lost.
I mean is that really worse then a person who could be painted as a DC insider or someone who didn't pay taxes and lied about his college degree
walleye26

« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2021, 10:35:03 PM »

Obviously you are in the ground in WI and I am not, but other than maybe #3, these items (especially #4) seem like thing that will ruffle feathers in political circles but not matter to real life voters.

Godlewski feels like a paper tiger to me and I think Barnes has the potential to be really strong (though this race is still an uphill battle).

It depends. I agree with you that most people won’t care (but #3 could very well come to hurt him badly in the suburbs, he made some comments along the lines of “police are just racists who want to push their vendetta against the black community” and that went over very poorly in Kenosha county in particular-Evers flipped it in 2018, but it got a fair amount redder in 2020 than normal.) about the other stuff but Wisconsin is truly won and lost at the margins. Even if the taxes thing irritates 1% of the population that could cost you the state. None of this is to say that he can’t win. Barnes certainly could, he has a pretty simple path to victory: high MKE/Madison turnout, don’t get killed in the suburbs and Fox valley, and lower turnout in rural western and northern Wisconsin. Personally, I wish Kind would’ve run, but Barnes could win. I just think some of these things like lying about his degree and unpaid taxes are going to turn into a “but her emails” thing and are kind of unforced.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »

For Johnson, being the nutcase he is, it's probably the reverse-the gridlock is why he is staying.

Johnson is done, he isn't winning Reelection, Nate Silver already said it's a 304 map didn't SN say that WI was going R in 2020

The amount of users that think WII  Lean R and pbower2A agrees with me that it's not, it's a 304 map not 268 map and Tammy Baldwin won a Landslide
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »

I think a lot of people are forgetting how Ron Johnson managed to win in 2016 after being abandoned by the GOP nationally & while running against someone who was seen as a top tier recruit for the democrats.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »

Johnson won on Benghazi Hillary that's how he beat Russ Feingold
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2021, 06:40:04 PM »

I think a lot of people are forgetting how Ron Johnson managed to win in 2016 after being abandoned by the GOP nationally & while running against someone who was seen as a top tier recruit for the democrats.

I certainly am not. He is hands down the favorite if he runs again, which I expect he will.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »

I certainly am not. He is hands down the favorite if he runs again, which I expect he will.

He's definitely going to win if he runs again, but I don't know if he will.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2021, 07:29:21 PM »

Hopefully he doesn't. Democratic chances to pick this seat up increase significantly if that's the case.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2021, 07:51:47 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

You predicted Peters, Warnock and Ossoff to lose and that's the 304 blue wall

Lol Johnson won on Benghazi Hillary, he was head of Hunter Biden probe until Rs lost the Senate

The reason why he is vulnerable he isn't targeting Biden with Hunter like he did as Chairman with BENGHAZI hearings

He only won by 350K votes both times margin of error, he didn't win by 20 like Portman or Young beat Strickland and Bayh
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »

Alex Larry is a terrible candidate. He would be guaranteed to lose if he won the nomination.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2021, 10:35:26 PM »

Another Barnes endorsement.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #324 on: August 29, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »

https://wisconsinexaminer.com/brief/johnson-pushes-ivermectin-and-vaccine-conspiracies-while-local-officials-look-for-help-on-infrastructure/

Johnson is still probably a (very slight) favorite, but he's really not doing himself any favors. What's he even getting at with all of these insane comments?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies