Why didn't Al Gore campaign for TN in 2000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:39:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why didn't Al Gore campaign for TN in 2000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why didn't Al Gore campaign for TN in 2000?  (Read 1890 times)
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2020, 01:57:15 PM »

Hi all. First post on this forum, after many years of reading. Love watching American politics from this side of the pond.

One thing I'd like to know is why Al Gore didn't really put any effort into winning Tennessee in 2000? If he had won his home state, he'd have won the election - Florida or not. He lost it by around 5% in the end.

Had he put more resources into his home state, would he have won it? Or was it always destined to go for Bush in 2000?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:34:10 PM »

He did invest heavily in TN. A lot of people thought he was favored there at the time.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »

Gore would have won TN, WV, AR, and had a decent shot at LA against McCain.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »

He did.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 05:51:45 PM »

Yeah absolutely

The question is how much better does McCain do up North than Bush? I'd imagine quite a bit and Gore would be losing non-Southern states in exchange for his gains in the South. The question then is is that enough for McCain to win or not?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:12 AM »

Yeah absolutely

The question is how much better does McCain do up North than Bush? I'd imagine quite a bit and Gore would be losing non-Southern states in exchange for his gains in the South. The question then is is that enough for McCain to win or not?
He doesn’t have drunk driving scandals to deal with.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »

Yeah absolutely

He doesn’t have drunk driving scandals to deal with.

True, but that doesn't answer my question
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 08:12:06 PM »

Whether or not you’re right, that would lead to a better US right now.  Culture War bullshlt is, alas, a self-fulfilling prophesy for simpletons of all political persuasions.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 08:26:32 PM »

Yeah absolutely

McCain definitely wins OR, and has an excellent shot at WA & ME. I have no clue how states like WI/IA/MN go down in this matchup.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »

Whether or not you’re right, that would lead to a better US right now.  Culture War bullshlt is, alas, a self-fulfilling prophesy for simpletons of all political persuasions.

No war but the class war, eh, Tom? Wink
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »

The Federalists will rise again, no matter how odd and long the journey is!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »

Hi all. First post on this forum, after many years of reading. Love watching American politics from this side of the pond.

One thing I'd like to know is why Al Gore didn't really put any effort into winning Tennessee in 2000? If he had won his home state, he'd have won the election - Florida or not. He lost it by around 5% in the end.

Had he put more resources into his home state, would he have won it? Or was it always destined to go for Bush in 2000?

Welcome to the forum.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »

Not just Tennessee, but also Arkansas, the home state of Bill Clinton.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »

The Federalists will rise again, no matter how odd and long the journey is!
Any day now. Once the redcoats return, we’ll have New England secede.
User2836
legitinsanelunatic22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 05:22:54 AM »

“From DC not Tennessee”
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »

In hindsight it seems to me that Gore may have gotten too much criticism for not winning TN, despite it being his home state and Clinton winning there both times. Perhaps the state was simply moving rightwards/to the GOP at a faster level than anyone could have anticipated back then, and Gore did well in simply keeping it relatively close.

Clinton only won by 2% in 1996, despite his very comfortable national victory, and in the next three elections the Democrats lost the state by massive margins (14%, 15%, 20%). 
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »

In hindsight it seems to me that Gore may have gotten too much criticism for not winning TN, despite it being his home state and Clinton winning there both times. Perhaps the state was simply moving rightwards/to the GOP at a faster level than anyone could have anticipated back then, and Gore did well in simply keeping it relatively close.

Clinton only won by 2% in 1996, despite his very comfortable national victory, and in the next three elections the Democrats lost the state by massive margins (14%, 15%, 20%).  

This is why I don’t think Gore winning the state against McCain is even close to a slam dunk. A ticket with no southerners losing badly nationally only lost the state by two points.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »

Welcome from a fellow Brit. There are a decent number of (left-wing) Brits here, so good to have another.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 01:59:47 AM »

He picked Lieberman, if he picked Graham he would have won
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »

This is why I don’t think Gore winning the state against McCain is even close to a slam dunk. A ticket with no southerners losing badly nationally only lost the state by two points.

I'm actually of the opinion that in a matchup against McCain, Gore would have had a better chance of winning Louisiana than Tennessee
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 12:29:47 AM »

I'm actually of the opinion that in a matchup against McCain, Gore would have had a better chance of winning Louisiana than Tennessee

Maybe...Louisiana had one of the biggest swings from '96 to '00 and that was largely because Bush Jr. was a much, much better fit for the state than Dole. With McCain as the nominee, there's not as much of a swing...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »

As you remember the South was against Clinton due to Lewinsky that's why Bush W appealed to them.

Gore was never gonna win TN Bob Graham would have worked for Gore by the fact he could have won NH alone.

Kerry would have won CO, NV, NM with Dick Gephardt
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 04:35:35 PM »

Maybe...Louisiana had one of the biggest swings from '96 to '00 and that was largely because Bush Jr. was a much, much better fit for the state than Dole. With McCain as the nominee, there's not as much of a swing...

Exactly
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies