how would long since retired/dead SCOTUS members rule in the present day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  how would long since retired/dead SCOTUS members rule in the present day
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how would long since retired/dead SCOTUS members rule in the present day  (Read 502 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:58:41 AM »

I apologize if this hasn't already been asked elsewhere. For instance, what if Potter Stewart came out of a 35 year coma?

Would the issues of minority rule, voting rights, gerrymandering - cause him to side with the Breyer and Kagans of the world? Or would the prospect of people having a potential blank check to harass businesses with frivolous lawsuits (Bostock, masterpiece) shift him toward someone like Kavanaugh?

On the other hand, you have to keep in mind that someone born in 1915 is from a completely different era where gays were mostly closeted and no one knew what a tranny was. So I guess you could also ask how cases currently before the court would have gone in the past.
rob in cal
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »

My guess, if they were considered liberals in their day, they'd rule as economic liberals social conservatives on a lot of cases.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »

If Potter Stewart were still alive, he would continue being the same thing he was during his 23-year tenure on the Court -- a very unpredictable swing vote.

If Hugo Black were still alive, on the other hand, his votes would be quite predictable. He would vote with the conservative side of the Court on issues such as abortion rights and gay rights, but he would have voted with the liberals on Bush v. Gore.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »

If Potter Stewart were still alive, he would continue being the same thing he was during his 23-year tenure on the Court -- a very unpredictable swing vote.

didn't Stewart have a very similar record to Stevens in the five and a half terms they were on the court? I remember reading somewhere that Scalia's presence on the court pushed Stevens and O'Connor (and later Souter and Kennedy) away from the conservatives. Being from a similar background to Stevens (i.e. midwestern WASP) - a part of me wonders if Stewart wouldn't have done the same.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »

didn't Stewart have a very similar record to Stevens in the five and a half terms they were on the court? I remember reading somewhere that Scalia's presence on the court pushed Stevens and O'Connor (and later Souter and Kennedy) away from the conservatives. Being from a similar background to Stevens (i.e. midwestern WASP) - a part of me wonders if Stewart wouldn't have done the same.

I remember Stevens saying somewhere Stewart never reversed Stevens’ court of appeals decisions. But if you look at their votes in many cases they don’t seem to align (notable exception of Gregg v. Georgia), and Stevens said in his book he often disagreed with him but was a great admirer of Stewart.

My suspicion is that Stewart would be a fairly firm liberal now, since there are many more substantive due process cases; he favoured strong safeguards in capital cases - Stevens even suggested Stewart would have come to the same conclusion as he and Blackmun did here (see Baze v. Rees; Callins v. Collins, cert. denied . In any case, since the right of the court is so much more about originalism now, he would certainly not be part of it. This, I suppose, is part of the shift in what SCOTUS decides, whereby jurists like Hugo Black would move to the ‘right’ and Harlan II (and Stewart) would move to the ‘left’.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies