Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:36:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill  (Read 6269 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Morocco.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »

I may be wrong, but isn't the human rights record of Morocco a little spotty?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:12:28 PM »

I may be wrong, but isn't the human rights record of Morocco a little spotty?

IIRC, yes, along with a rather weak political rights record.  Not to mention the whole messy Western Sahara business.

Morocco thread
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »

Morocco was the first nation to recognize the United States (and in turn Atlasia, I guess), so this seems like a good fit.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:53:33 PM »

Not until the end of the occupation of Western Sahara and a relaxation of the draconian restrictions on the media should this be allowed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:00:19 AM »

At this point in time, I can't say whether I'll support, or oppose, free trade between Atlasia and Morocco

I, too, suspect Morocco's track record on political freedoms and civil rights, has been sketchy. Therefore, this Bill requires further scrutiny on my part, and, indeed, on the part of every other senator

'Hawk'
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »

Morocco was the first nation to recognize the United States (and in turn Atlasia, I guess), so this seems like a good fit.

That seems like a rather trivial reason to support this, given that that was, what, two hundred years ago?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:19:59 PM »

That seems like a rather trivial reason to support this, given that that was, what, two hundred years ago?

It 229 years ago to be exact and it was a MUCH different Morocco.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »

It 229 years ago to be exact and it was a MUCH different Morocco.

Oh, I don't believe that it's a reason to support free trade with Morrocco, I'm just pointing it out.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:10:26 PM »

Morocco is one of the best and westernized muslim countries and it would set a good example that if you act civilized and stop attacking people that it will be beneficial to you, it will show that we can work with muslim countries. And besides, if the country goes south we can always repeal this trade agreement.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 05:58:02 PM »

It's already in the process of going south.

Maybe our SoS would have something to say about Morocco? Smiley

(And teh WMS of course Grin)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »

I don't think anyone has brought up reasons why a FTA would be unbeneficial to Atlasia.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »

I don't think anyone has brought up reasons why a FTA would be unbeneficial to Atlasia.

Well for one it allows foreign products to be sold cheaply and damages the Atlasian industry since they are forced to compete with countries that make things cheaper because they don't have labor laws.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 06:40:36 PM »

Yes, and that saves Atlasians money and improves the global economy.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 06:42:29 PM »

Before deciding which way I shall vote, I would like to hear the opinion of the Secretary of State.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 06:43:28 PM »

Yes, and that saves Atlasians money and improves the global economy.

Except that tens of thousands of Atlasians lose their jobs and we lose a self sustaining economy.

I'm mixed on free trade, but I'll play devil's advocate here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 01:17:43 AM »

The U.S. Senate passed a free trade agreement with Morocco by a vote of 85-13.  This is similar to the  margin by which the Australian agreement passed by.

This idea that we should restrict trade solely to countries that near perfectly mirror our system of government and human rights records is a lot more protectionist than it looks.  While Morocco does not have a perfect system of government or a great human rights record, neither do we.  Morocco is an ally and MasterJedi quite correctly points out that we need to bolster friendships with Islamic nations that are not hostile to us.

For reference:
http://www.moroccousafta.com/index_ang.htm
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 06:14:08 AM »

I would have to concur with the President. We live in an age where 'protectionism for protectionsims sake' is no longer possible even if we wished it to be. We are irevocably bound to the wider mworld and we share concers. The North African Arab nations, such as Morocco, Tunisia, and Egypt are politically and culturally differnet from their Middle Eastern counterparts. As the President says, Morocco is not a perfect state, but it is one that is stable and relatively free from radicalised political Islam that is the scourge of many Arab nations. Morocco in that past, and a present, wishes to be bound closer to Europe and subsequently to us (Morocco applied to join the EU in 1987 but was rejected, it may be possible for Morocco do join a loose European free trading block in as little as 10-15 years)

I support this bill in it's entirety, no just for economic reasons, but for international relationship reasons too. Atlasia should never shy away from making friends and allies in the Muslim world and in the past has forged economic links for our own benefit, with far more tyranical nations in the region. I believe today we realise the mistakes of the past and must forge bonds of co-operation for the future.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 11:06:22 AM »

Having taken the views of Senator MasterJedi, the President and the Secretary of State on board, I'm leaning in favor of this Bill for the reasons they have cited but my expectations for all who are party to free trade agreements with Atlasia to be committed to making progress with respect to liberal democracy, political freedoms and civil rights still stand, regardless!

For the benefit of the President, yes, indeed, I am one of those who espouse the view that we should restrict free trade solely to countries that near perfectly mirror our system of government and human rights records, which is why I'd , by and large, only give carte blanche approval to First World countries, like Australia, for example, but I am prepared to support free trade with certain countries that don't as yet meet such standards; however, I do have expectations of them making progress in this regard and any regress on such matters as a commitment to liberal democracy, political freedoms and civil rights cannot, and should not, be tolerated. The ball is in their court Smiley

Furthermore, I would consider protectionist measures should free trade agreements have an unacceptable adverse impact on the Atlasian economy and Atlasian living standards. My commitment is to those. Free trade should be about levelling them up not dragging us down. Naturally, I hope that this won't be the case. Nevertheless, free trade should never become a scenario in which we do all the giving Smiley and they do all the taking Sad. It must be mutually beneficial and not some one way street

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »

It's already in the process of going south.

Maybe our SoS would have something to say about Morocco? Smiley

(And teh WMS of course Grin)

I think I put this one under the 'ally exception'. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »

Not that my view matters, but agreeing a free trade deal with Morocco would not actually help Atlasia's terrible image in the Islamic world in any meaningful way at all; it would likely be seen as another example of "The West" being close to the sort of repressive and corrupt (both literally and morally) regime that have, in effect, become the greatest recruiting tools for the sort of ultra-reactionary Wahabbist Islam that we've had a lot of trouble with in recent years.
There are, obviously, valid reasons to both support and oppose this bill (and I've no intention of getting involved in Senate business) but the idea that it would help us from a long-term foriegn policy position is absurd.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 08:57:28 PM »

I, hereby, introduce the following amendment:

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Morocco to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Morocco is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Moroccan goods
ii. All Moroccan goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Morocco in its entirety

'Hawk'
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 10:16:03 PM »

Not that my view matters, but agreeing a free trade deal with Morocco would not actually help Atlasia's terrible image in the Islamic world in any meaningful way at all; it would likely be seen as another example of "The West" being close to the sort of repressive and corrupt (both literally and morally) regime that have, in effect, become the greatest recruiting tools for the sort of ultra-reactionary Wahabbist Islam that we've had a lot of trouble with in recent years.
There are, obviously, valid reasons to both support and oppose this bill (and I've no intention of getting involved in Senate business) but the idea that it would help us from a long-term foriegn policy position is absurd.

Then of course the illegal occupation of Western Sahara that is opposed by basically every single nation in Africa, resulting in Morrocco being the only African country not in the African Union. Coddling to such a nation carrying out such an occupation is not going to help relations at all.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 01:23:08 PM »

I, hereby, introduce the following amendment:

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Morocco to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Morocco is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Moroccan goods
ii. All Moroccan goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Morocco in its entirety

'Hawk'

This is pretty useless. It has nothing to do with the agreement and seems more appropriate as a resolution. Plus it's pretty obvious, if the country starts getting real bad we just repeal the free trade agreement by introducing a bill that says so. I will be voting against this and urge all Senators to as well. The bill is fine in its original state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »

The country is already "real bad", plus a pariah in its region as it continues an imperialistic occupation of another nation similar to Iraq's occupation of Kuwait.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies