"Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:35:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: "Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight  (Read 3033 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:44 AM »

This is simply embarrassing at this point, wow.

You realize that everyone else can see that you only respond with one-liners to selected quotes you deem convenient, right?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2020, 01:36:24 AM »

This prevents new and innovative building designs from being tested (say, with shared communal cooking areas or bathrooms)

no what prevents these from being tested is that literally no one would ever want to live in a house with a toilet or kitchen: those things are terrible enough in university accommodation or large house shares as it is: just imagining how much worse it'd be with 20 people sharing a kitchen and no clear idea who would be responsible for actually cleaning it.

Its the sort of pie-in-the-sky concept that idiots that haven't actually lived in the real world propose without actually talking to the people that need housing.

Co-Living spots are ridiculous. Unless you want to pay through the nose, then you get into a nice one but it's nothing more than a glorified crappy hotel. But that's the mindset of "landlords"/"capitalists" these days. Work crap wages, more hours and share common areas. I rather just go get a roommates where their is accountability but at the same time I haven't had roommates in 10 years. I can only imagine how god awful a Co-Living spot would be. Also, hearing whining about the housing market, it's one of the few things where it's stable because the Fed has lowered interest rates to the bottom. Just sounds like sour grapes, I would just sell the damn house and go move to a more like-minded friendly state.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »

This is simply embarrassing at this point, wow.

You realize that everyone else can see that you only respond with one-liners to selected quotes you deem convenient, right?

Move up six spaces and see for yourself.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »

Dule, someone clearly struck a nerve with you a few pages back. I understand now is a tough time for everyone. Life sucks. No doubt that your family's income may be down substantially if you rely on rental property. I get it.

But we have an eviction moratorium for a reason: millions of people have been laid off and unemployment checks have hit new lows, There are hundreds of thousands of renters in California who cannot pay rent right now. If we let the eviction courts run unimpeded, we would be faced with the largest homeless crisis since the Great Depression.

Those with the ability to pay should pay rent. But let's not pretend that this moratorium isn't necessary.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2020, 10:13:16 PM »

Dule, someone clearly struck a nerve with you a few pages back. I understand now is a tough time for everyone. Life sucks. No doubt that your family's income may be down substantially if you rely on rental property. I get it.

But we have an eviction moratorium for a reason: millions of people have been laid off and unemployment checks have hit new lows, There are hundreds of thousands of renters in California who cannot pay rent right now. If we let the eviction courts run unimpeded, we would be faced with the largest homeless crisis since the Great Depression.

Those with the ability to pay should pay rent. But let's not pretend that this moratorium isn't necessary.

The moratorium isn't necessary, it's just that other alternatives aren't even being seriously considered.  The root cause that is leading some to advocate for a moratorium is that people and businesses  have been losing income due to cornonavirus.  Tackling that income problem rather than imposing a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures would be both fairer and more complicated.  (It could be done either in a manner that saw direct grants to those affected by loss of income or having the rent for such people be subsidized in some manner,)  Dule's earned much of the grief he gets on these boards, but being reluctant to put a property on the rental market in the middle of an eviction moratorium is not such a reason.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »

Libertarians, as a general rule, operate on 'screw everyone but me.'
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:54 PM »

The moratorium isn't necessary, it's just that other alternatives aren't even being seriously considered.  The root cause that is leading some to advocate for a moratorium is that people and businesses  have been losing income due to cornonavirus.  Tackling that income problem rather than imposing a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures would be both fairer and more complicated.  (It could be done either in a manner that saw direct grants to those affected by loss of income or having the rent for such people be subsidized in some manner,)  Dule's earned much of the grief he gets on these boards, but being reluctant to put a property on the rental market in the middle of an eviction moratorium is not such a reason.
Well certainly, but Federal relief is stuck in limbo indefinitely. I'm not sure where else we could find the money.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2020, 12:30:59 AM »

Bruh, nobody in my family is a landlord. I don't rent property to anyone. And I was enjoying this argument until it became an argument about how the arguments are being made.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2020, 12:41:37 AM »

Can we all at least agree that totally screwing over the tenants to help the landlords, AND visa versa, are generally bad (not-ideal) strategies? Can we all agree that if the government could get their s___t together and come up with actual solutions, either of those options should not be at the top of the list?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies