Minutes to Midnight: Rage and Partisanship in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Minutes to Midnight: Rage and Partisanship in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Minutes to Midnight: Rage and Partisanship in America  (Read 7921 times)
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2020, 02:57:06 PM by Edgeofnight »

November 9th, 2018
DEMOCRATS RETAKE POWER IN REBUKE TO PRESIDENT TRUMP

In a rebuke to the President, Democrats have recaptured both chambers of the legislature, scoring upset victories in several House and Senate races across the country. Most notably, Democrats picked up three seats, winning races in Tennessee, Nevada, and Arizona. On top of this, Democrats successfully defended each of their Senate seats despite close calls in Missouri, North Dakota, and Indiana.

At the state level, Democrats saw even greater success, picking up 11 Governorships and a handful of state legislative chambers. In the state of Florida, Andrew Gillium has been elected the states first African American Governor and the state's first Democratic Governor since 1999. In Georgia, Stacey Abrams won a decisive victory against Brian Kemp, becoming the countries first Female African American Governor.

President Trump seemed un-phased by the midterm losses today, pledging in a public statement that he will continue his "America First" agenda when the new congress convenes. Privately, reports indicate that the President blames Senator McConnell for the midterm defeats, and he has privately attacked outgoing Speaker Paul Ryan. 

New Senators:
Krysten Sinema (D-AZ)*
Jacky Rosen (D-NV)*
Phil Bredesen (D-TN)*
Beto O'Rourke (D-TX)*

Mitt Romney (R-UT)
Kevin Cramer (R-ND)*

New Governors:
Janet Mills (D-ME)*
Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)*
Richard Cordray (D-OH)*
Tony Evers (D-WI)*
Tim Walz (D-MN)
Fred Hubbell (D-IA)*
J.B. Pritzker (D-IL)*
Stacey Abrams (D-GA)*
Andrew Gillum (D-FL)*
Laura Kelly (D-KS)*
Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)*
Steve Sisolak (D-NV)*
Gavin Newsom (D-CA)

Bill Lee (R-TN)
Kevin Stitt (R-OK)
Kristi Noem (R-SD)
Mark Gordon (R-WY)
Brad Little (R-ID)
Mike Dunleavy (R-AK)*

Democrats picked up the following additional seats in this timeline:
  • Georgia's 7th
  • New York's 27th
  • Texas' 23rd
  • Minnesota's 1st
  • Kentucky's 6th
  • Illinois' 13th
  • Kansas' 2nd

If the timeline sounds familiar in its premise, that's because its a reboot of one of my old timelines. In writing the next update to my current tl, I realized that I was just creating a less interesting version of this tl. That's not to say I am going to cancel it, but its getting shelved until I can come up with something better.

Given the changes to image rules (I would have had to comb through my old timelines to correct any sourcing errors) and the drastically different state of the world in 2020 versus 2018, I decided a full reboot was best. The early parts of this timeline will progress pretty similarly to my original, but changes will start to emerge as we progress.

There isn't a hard POD that causes Democrats to do better. Back when I wrote this originally in May 2018, these results seemed fairly plausible, albeit very optimistic for the Democrats. I did change a few results at the gubernatorial level, but the senate is maintained for the sake of plot.

Gubernatorial and Senate nationwide election boxes coming shortly. I'll take a few requests for state wide boxes, but I am not doing a nationwide house box because I always mess that map up. 

Infoboxes made by me, images within infoboxes are as follows:
[1] Source Provided under image.
[2]Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[3]Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[4] Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[5] Wikimedia Commons
[6] Wikimedia Commons (PD)

Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2020, 12:24:50 PM by Edgeofnight »

As promised, election boxes from 2018:

[1]Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[2]Houses of the Oireachtas, hosted on Wikimedia Commons.CC BY 2.0
[3] Election Map, own work

[4]Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[5]Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[6]Election Map, Own Work
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »

No Josh Hawley? Boooooooo
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »

Espy lost?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »

It makes sense, he was in a special and his race was a bit more insulated from the national environment and Mississippi is ridiculously inelastic. This map is the easiest path to 52 for Dems probably
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:13 PM »

The blue wave in 2018
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:06 PM »

Hawley is not done in the context of this timeline, don't worry Wink

It makes sense, he was in a special and his race was a bit more insulated from the national environment and Mississippi is ridiculously inelastic. This map is the easiest path to 52 for Dems probably

While your response is mostly true, the ultimate reason why Epsy lost was that I wanted to preserve the sprit of the original timeline. For that to work, the Democrats needed exactly 52 seats, and for plot reasons, I think Bredesen fits better within this timeline. It's worth noting that if you exclude Bredesen's win, then Epsy's race would be just barely more than any other state result that I flipped. So I think Math wise, it still would have made the most sense to do things this way.

The blue wave we should have gotten...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »

I'm surprised you didn't spare Heidi Heitkamp.

Are you going to have her run for Governor of North Dakota in 2020?
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »

Considering how I know the original turns out, I doubt this is a spolier, but does Trump win a second term in this version as well
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »

I'm surprised you didn't spare Heidi Heitkamp.

Are you going to have her run for Governor of North Dakota in 2020?

In the original version of the timeline, I did spare Heitkamp. I considered it in this version as well, but I think it makes more sense for Texas to flip instead of Heitkamp to hold on. In terms of Heitkamp making a comeback, its possible, but probably not in 2020. Its pretty soon after her loss, and she'll likely take some time in the private sector.

Considering how I know the original turns out, I doubt this is a spolier, but does Trump win a second term in this version as well

I can't answer that because I don't know myself. I will say that the early parts of this timeline, up to probably around the first third, will hit basically the same story beats as the original. COVID is the big elephent in the room, and I don't know how I will handle that until I get there. While I do plan and write ahead, I'm only usually about 4 parts ahead in my plan.
Lord Byron
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 03:26:05 PM »

I do have an alternate way for Covid-19 to spread, if you're interested, Edgeofnight.

I'll send you a PM with the details...
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2020, 09:18:16 PM by Edgeofnight »

November 13th, 2018
Trump blames Mueller probe for “Republican embarrassment,” as the President sets a time limit on investigation.

In a change from the conciliatory tone he had last week, President Trump today showed a defiant side and angry side in response to the 2018 midterm results. In his second public appearance since the election,  President Trump attacked Nancy Pelosi, Paul Ryan, and most of all; Special Counsel Robert Mueller.
   Trump blamed the special counsel for Republican defeats in both the House and Senate, calling the investigation  a “politically motivated witch hunt.” When prompted further, Trump explained that, without the special counsel, Republicans would have gained roughly a dozen seats in the United States Senate and 50 seats in the House of Representatives.
But, in a troubling twist, Trump also gave the special counsel a firm end date: March 2019. “It’s gone on long enough. A few more months is a gift,” said the President. The office of the special counsel declined to respond, but Congressional leaders were quick to attack the President’s comments. Outgoing speaker Paul Ryan called the President’s interference a “headache,” while incoming Speaker Nancy Pelosi floated the idea of impeachment should Trump follow through on his promise.  

November 15th, 2018
Deval Patrick announces White House bid

Becoming the second major Democrat to enter the race, former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has announced his intentions to seek the Democratic nomination. Patrick served as governor from 2007 until 2015, and is often credited with strong economic growth in the state. In his announcement video, Patrick emphasized  his record as Governor,  Massachusetts’ expansion of healthcare, raising the minimum wage and the creation of new environmental protection laws.
   Patrick, a close ally of the Obama administration, has allegedly been pushed by many with the former President’s close circle to run this year. Privately, many of the former President’s advisors and allies have expressed doubt in the candidacy of Former Vice President Joe Biden, who is currently mulling a bid. Should Biden enter, Patrick could prove to be strong competition for the “Obama coalition.” However, Patrick likely won’t be the only candidate angling for that vote, as Julian Castro, Kamala Harris, and Cory Booker have all polled strongly with that group and are moving towards bids of their own.
   Current polling places Patrick near the bottom of the pack, but the civil rights attorney turned Governor turned lobbyist is hoping that an early entry will open doors to him, and comments from Patrick’s campaign staff suggests that the Governor will focus his campaign on New Hampshire and South Carolina. Patrick will hold a launch rally in early January.

November 17th, 2018
Mayor De Blasio Leaks White House Bid in an email to campaign supporters
[/center]

New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio is running for President, per a “leaked” email sent to his prior campaign donors. De Blasio is currently serving his second term as Mayor, and leads the country’s largest metropolitan area.
   As Mayor, De Blasio has pursued a progessive agenda, focusing on police reform, affordable housing, and the legalization of Marijuana, among other things. However, De Blasio has also had notoriously poor approval ratings, and has frequently clashed with Governor Andrew Cuomo (who himself is weighing a Presidential bid). Beyond that, De Blasio is frequently in conflict with the City Government, the NYPD, and a number of interest groups within the city.
   Beyond his unpopularity at home, De Blasio’s campaign also faces the challenge of low name recognition. The NYC’s mayor’s best poll performance has been at 2%, and that poll excluded several other possible candidates, including Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Bernie Sanders. De Blasio’s low national profile is an even steeper challenge to overcome considering that more prominent New Yorkers, namely Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Michael Bloomberg, De Blasio’s predecessor, are also weighing bids. De Blasio’s will officially launch sometime next month.

November 19th, 2018
Jeff Sessions steps down as Attorney General at the President’s request

Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)

In line with the President’s new attacks on Special Counsel Mueller and the Russia probe, Donald Trump has requested the resignation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Sessions, who has served as Attorney General since 2017, recused himself from the Russia probe ahead of the appointment of the Special Counsel.
   Since his recusal, the President has privately and (at-times) publicly attacked Sessions for not stopping the Russia investigation. Sessions has defended himself, arguing that he has shown nothing but loyalty to the President’s agenda, and that the recusal was necessary to ensure that the probe was trusted in the eyes of the public.
   Sessions was a controversial pick back in 2017, due to allegations of racial bias and a poorly perceived record on civil rights. The special election to replace Sessions was won by Democrat Doug Jones, who is facing re-election in 2020. Sessions could not be reached for comment, and his resignation will take effect tomorrow.

November 22nd, 2018
Martin O’Malley announces second Presidential Campaign
   The former Governor of Maryland Martin O’Malley is making a second bid for the White House. Having flopped when he ran in 2016, O’Malley has spent the past 2 years working behind the scenes to build up his image within the party. O’Malley endorsed and campaigned for several candidates during the midterms, but has mostly kept a low profile in recent months.
   Now O’Malley steps back into the spotlight, with a reinvented image. In 2016, O’Malley ran as a fairly progressive candidate, supporting a 15$ minimum wage, breaking up big banks, and a national ban on assault weapons. However, now O’Malley emphasises his “pragmatic” approach to politics, calling for an end to “partisan divides” in his initial launch video.  
   Like Governor Patrick, O’Malley served two terms as a governor of a staunch blue state, and left office with middling approval ratings. However, unlike Patrick, O’Malley is running less on his experience as governor and more on a platform of reform. On his campaign website, O’Malley called for the end of the electoral college, education reform, and what he describes as “the most ambitious climate plan in this country’s history.”

November 23rd, 2018
Howard Schultz forms Democratic exploratory committee

Seattle-based Businessman Howard Schultz has announced the creation of an exploratory committee to pursue the Democratic nomination for President. Schultz, best known for his involvement with Starbucks, has been a frequent and regular critic of President Trump, often lambasting the President’s tax and immigration policies.
   However, Schutlz aimed most of his attacks in his announcement at the Democratic party, the very party he intends to run in. Calling for an end to “cultural politics,” Schultz attacked the increasingly liberal platform of the Democratic policy, calling the fight for single-payer healthcare “ridiculous” and focusing on his personal record of leadership. His platform that has been announced thus far is focused on job creation and balancing the budget.
Per Schultz advisor Steven Schimdt, the former Starbucks CEO plans to run as a “pragmatic moderate,”  and stated that “there is a serious appetite for a common sense candidate, especially in the Democratic Party.” Schultz will spend the next few weeks traveling the country and talking to voters ahead of his final decision scheduled for sometime next March.  

Early Polling shows crowded, headless race for the Democratic nomination
   As more and more Democrats head towards presidential bids, early polling shows that the field is wide open. At the top, former Vice President Joe Biden captures a meager 19% in the most recent polls, trailed by Senator Sanders at 14%. No other candidate breaches 10% consistently. At the state level, Senator Sanders leads Biden in Iowa and New Hampshire but trails the Vice President in Nevada and South Carolina.
   The poll results particularly concern Democrats who are concerned that a protracted primary will enable a Trump re-election. President Trump seemed to stoke those fears, as he took to Twitter to lamant the huge Democratic field, calling the Democrats “chaotic and messy.”
But top Democratic strategists rebuked that concern. Robby Mook, a former Clinton advisor, called the expanded primary field a sign of a healthy democracy. Despite that uplifting note, the crowded field means that a smaller candidate may be able to break into the top tier simply by finding their own unique niche. Minor candidates, such as Andrew Yang and Marianne WIlliamson, are hoping to do exactly that to work their way into the first debate. But Biden and Sanders, both still undeclared, are juggernauts within the party, and may very well prove to be formidable foes to conquer during the primary season.

John Kelly out as chief of staff in second White House departure since the election

November 26th, 2018

Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)

In the second post-election White House departure, Chief of Staff John Kelly will be departing the White House at the end of the year. THe announcement was made via Twitter, during which the President thanked Kelly for his service, and stated that a replacement will be announced shortly. In the interim, OMB director Mick Mulvaney will serve as acting chief of staff.
   The departure comes as Trump seeks to rebound from a stinging defeat during the midterms. During the 2018 elections, Republicans lost control of both chambers of congress and a number of state governments, at least partially due to the perceived unpopularity of President Trump in mostly suburban areas.
   Kelly formerly served as Secretary of Homeland Security, and has been a career military official. Kelly’s office did not provide further comment.

2020 Democratic Nationwide Presidential Primary Polling (aggregate):
Fmr. Vice Pres. Joe Biden -- 20%
Sen. Bernie Sanders -- 16%
Sen.-elect Beto O’Rourke -- 8%
Sen. Elizabeth Warren -- 6%
Sen. Kamala Harris -- 3%
Sen. Cory Booker -- 2%
Fmr. May. Michael Bloomberg -- 2%

Fmr. Gov. Martin O’Malley -- 2%
Fmr. Gov. Deval Patrick -- 1%
Sen. Sherrod Brown -- 1%
Fmr. Sec. Julian Castro -- 1%
Gov. Steve Bullock -- 1%
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand -- 1%
Gov. Andrew Cuomo -- 1%
May. Eric Garcetti -- 1%
Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- 1%
Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom -- 1%

Mr. Howard Schultz -- 1%
Governor John Kasich -- 1%
Rep. John Delaney -- 0%
Mayor Bill De Blasio -- 0%
Undecided/Others -- 31%

2020 Republican Nationwide Primary Presidential Election (aggregate):
Pres. Donald Trump -- 78%
Someone Else -- 14%
Undecided -- 8%

Other Candidates:
  • Ben Gleib
  • Henry Hewes
  • Ami Horowitz
  • Brian Moore
  • Ken Nwadike Jr.,
  • Sam Sloan
  • Marianne Williamson
  • Robby Wells
  • Andrew Yang

Whole Box: Own Work.
[1] De Blasio: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
[2] John Delaney: Wikimedia Commons, PD
[3]O'Malley: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
[4]Patrick: Wikimedia Commons (PD)
[5]Schultz: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 11:27:35 PM »

Next part should be up soon. In the meantime, does anyone want to see any statewide races from 2018?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:30:23 PM »

I’m interested in SD, NH and SC Governor results
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »

Endorsing Deval Patrick for this timeline
Vidal

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »

will be watching!
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »

Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2020, 05:12:03 PM by Edgeofnight »

December 5, 2018
Trump announces new sanctions on China

Wikimedia Commons (PD)

As part of the President’s ongoing trade war, the State and Treasury Departments have announced new sanctions on China, to be placed on the country’s electronics and agricultural industries. The move comes as President Trump seeks to flex political muscle, in the wake of a resounding defeat in the 2018 midterms.
The move sparked some panic on Wall Street, as several companies and industries dependent upon Chinese imports or exporting their goods to Chinese markets, including tech giant Apple, expressed concerns of an impending trade war. However, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin expressed cautious optimism that the Chinese government could be brought to the negotiation table with the recent moves.

December 6, 2018
Outgoing Governor John Kasich declines to challenge Trump for Republican nomination.

Governor John Kasich, who is leaving office in January, declined to seek the Republican Presidential nomination in 2020, but refused to endorse Trump while doing so.  “He’s bad for our party, and he’s bad for our country,” said Kasich in an interview with MSNBC.
   Despite not seeking the nomination himself, Kasich has expressed hope that someone will run against Trump in the upcoming primaries, stating that there was a battle for the soul of the party occurring behind the scene. However, as of now, no Republicans have stepped forward to challenge Trump in the upcoming primary, and Republican’s are skeptical that anyone can.
   “There is no doubt in my mind that he will be our nominee,” said Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas. Other Republicans have echoed similar sentiments, and Trump currently dominates polling for his party’s primary.

December 13, 2018
Trump appoints Noel Fransico as Attorney General

With Congress in recess, Trump has appointed Solicitor General Noel Fransico as the New Attorney General. In a move that drew ire from Congressional Democrats, Trump has appointed Francisco without the approval of the Senate. “It's the latest attempt by this President to circumvent democratic norms,” said Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL).
   Francisco has refused to take a public stance on the Mueller probe, and during Trump’s announcement no mention was made of the Special Counsel’s investigation. Despite this, Republican Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters that he “didn’t expect any interference” in the special counsel's operations.

December 18, 2018
Tom Steyer announces Presidential Campaign

California Billionaire, and impeachment activist Tom Steyer has announced his intention to run for President in a video ad published to Youtube. Steyer, who has never sought elected office before, has been a frequent donor to Democratic campaigns since as early as 2010, but has ramped up his efforts since the election of Donald Trump, creating “the Need to Impeach” ahead of the 2018 midterms. The organization raised money for and spent ads in support of the impeachment of President Trump, and raised speculations about Steyers future ambitions. In the 24 hours since Steyer’s announcement, his campaign has raised 1.7 million dollars, drawing attention within Democratic circles.

December 22, 2018
Elijah Cummings promises to Subpoena Trump when the new Congress takes power.

Incoming house Oversight chair Elijah Cummings (D-MD) appeared on CNN to discuss the challenges of the upcoming congress, including his plans to force President Trump to testify. “It's high time that he answers directly to the American people,” said Cummings in his interview.
The move comes as calls to impeach President Trump have grown in the wake of the firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Democratic success in the midterm elections.
During that interview, Cummings declined to state whether he would support an impeachment proceeding against the President, calling for his Democratic colleagues to “take things one step at a time.”

December 27, 2018
Julian Castro to enter Presidential race

Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro has become the latest Democrat to enter the Presidential contest after his announcement on Stephen Colbert’s “The Late Show.” The unofficial announcement made last night will be followed by a formal announcement in late January. Castro has yet to hire any key campaign staff, although he has named his brother, Congressman Joaquin Castro, as his campaign chairman.

December 31, 2018
Warren announces exploratory Committee as Democratic field swells to ten.

As the latest (and perhaps greatest, based on polling numbers) candidate to enter the Democratic Primary, Senator Elizabeth Warren has a steep climb ahead of her as the Democratic field expands even further. Thus far, 10 major Democrats have announced their intention to seek the White House, with a litany of other Democrats set to declare their campaigns in the coming weeks. Warren is also the third Democrat to declare her campaign this week, joined by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan.
   Many candidates have entered the race because they sense weakness in president Trump. Warren herself focused her announcement video on the President, attacking the President’s character and demeanor, and presenting a brief, but progressive policy vision for a potential Warren Presidency. Warren is running as a member of the party’s progressive wing, which has seen an increase in strength following the 2018 midterms.
   Warren’s candidacy also poses a potential threat to the candidacy of Senator Bernie Sanders. Sanders has not yet announced a bid, but has floated the idea of running in the past. Warren and Sanders are close allies in the Senate, and share many of the same policy positions. Because of this, Sanders supporters have raised alarms that the Massachusetts Senator could split the party’s progressive wing, and enable a more moderate Democrat, such as former Vice President Joe Biden, to win the nomination.

January 1, 2019
Howard Schultz announces “Coffee Shop Tour” of early primary states.

In a bid to raise his polling numbers, Howard Schultz has announced his intentions for a “coffee shop tour” of America, hosting events at a number of independently owned coffee restaurants in 18 states. Schultz, the former CEO of Starbucks, is currently running for the Democratic nomination for President.
Within that contest, Schultz has struggled to gain traction. He’s publicly feuded with many of the party’s largest figures (including fellow candidate Elizabeth Warren, and a likely opponent, Bernie Sanders). Most recently Schultz has sparred with Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, calling the congresswoman and her Green New Deal “naïve.”

2020 Democratic Nationwide Presidential Primary Polling:
Fmr. Vice Pres. Joe Biden -- 17% (-3%)
Sen. Bernie Sanders -- 14% (-2%)
Sen.-elect Beto O’Rourke -- 10% (+2%)
Sen. Elizabeth Warren -- 8% (+2%)
Fmr. May. Michael Bloomberg -- 3% (+1%)
Fmr. Gov. Martin O’Malley -- 3% (+1%)
Sen. Kamala Harris -- 2% (-1%)
Sen. Cory Booker -- 2% (--)
Fmr. Sec. Julian Castro -- 2% (+1%)
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand -- 2% (+1%)
Mr. Howard Schultz -- 2% (+1%)
Fmr. Gov. Deval Patrick -- 1% (--)
Sen. Sherrod Brown -- 1% (--)
Gov. Steve Bullock -- 1% (--)
Gov. Andrew Cuomo -- 1% (--)
May. Eric Garcetti -- 1% (--)
Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- 1% (--)
Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom -- 1% (--)
Rep. John Delaney -- 0% (--)
Rep. Tim Ryan -- 0% (--)
Mayor Bill De Blasio -- 0% (--)
Undecided/Others -- 29% (-2%)

2020 Republican Nationwide Primary Presidential Election:
Pres. Donald Trump -- 80% (+2%)
Someone Else -- 13% (-1%)
Undecided -- 7% (-1%)

De Blasio: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
John Delaney: Wikimedia Commons, PD
O'Malley: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
Patrick: Wikimedia Commons (PD)
Schultz: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0
Castro: Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 2.0
Garcetti: Emily ShurCC BY-SA 2.0
Ryan: Wikimedia Commons (PD)
Steyer:Gage SkidmoreCC BY-SA 2.0
Warren:Gage Skidmore CC BY-SA 3.0

Other Candidates:
  • Ben Gleib
  • Henry Hewes
  • Ami Horowitz
  • Brian Moore
  • Ken Nwadike Jr.,
  • Sam Sloan
  • Marianne Williamson
  • Robby Wells
  • Andrew Yang
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »

A different TL to OTL with the Dems holding both the House and the Senate.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »

Still in for Patrick
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 09:45:01 AM »

Reading your original timeline and it says Trump nominates ACB to SCOTUS in September 2020 however her confirmatio was defeated. RBG died in July instead.

Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 11:39:46 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2021, 11:57:55 PM by Edgeofnight »

New update coming this weekend, law school application season f'ed my time management hard, but updates will resume soon at a regular pace.
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 10:37:45 PM »

As a heads up, if images look bad, try opening them in a new tab. Atlas/Talk Elections does weird things with image compression depending on your screen resolution.

Gillibrand jumps into the Presidential race; “It’s time to put a woman in charge!”

New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is the latest big name Democrat to jump into the 2020 Presidential contest, announcing in a video posted to her Twitter earlier today. Gillibrand has served in the Senate since 2009, and has become a prominent critic of President Trump.
   During her Tenure in the House, Gillibrad earned a reputation as a moderate or conservative Democrat, but during her tenure in the Senate, she has gradually shifted towards the party’s left wing. In her announcement video, she emphasized her opposition to Trump’s cabinet and Supreme Court nominees and her support of abortion access. She will begin her campaign with a rally in Iowa later next week.

Klobuchar enters Presidential race “ready to work”

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar joins the slew of Democratic presidential contenders, announcing her intention to seek the highest office in the nation during a snowstorm in her home state of Minnesota. In her announcement speech, Klobuchar branded herself as a “dedicated advocate and fighter,” and ended her speech with the enthusiastic declaration that she was “ready to work!”

China responds to Trump’s Sanctions: “We won’t take this lying down.”

During comments made to the UN General Assembly, Chinese Ambassador Ma Zhaoxu lashed out at the Trump Administration over the President’s decision to impose expansive sanctions on the Chinese regime. The comments have stoked fears of a growing trade war between the US and China, and have sent shockwaves across the financial sector.

Kamala Harris hopes to make history in her Presidential Campaign

California Senator Kamala Harris made her long-awaited campaign announcement today, entering the crowded race for the Democratic nomination. Harris, the second African American woman to be elected to the US Senate, gained national notoriety during the confirmation hearing of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Despite this notoriety, and the number of glass ceilings Harris could break, she faces an uphill climb to the Presidency, polling in the middle of the pack among her fellow Democrats.

Majority of Americans support protecting the Mueller probe

In response to growing concerns over the future of the Mueller probe, a large number of Americans are supporting legislation to protect the probe. A recent NYT Upshot poll showed that 96% of Democrats, 63% of Independents, and even 54% of Republicans supported a proposed bi-partisan bill that would allow judicial review of a Trump Administration decision to fire Mueller if Trump interferes with his special counsel investigation.

Tulsi Gabbard launches longshot presidential campaign attacking the party establishment.

Hawaii Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard launched her Presidential Campaign boasting her anti-establishment credentials. Gabbard used her launch speech to caution Democrats against nominating another “hand picked” candidate, and boasted about her opposition to the “insider games” that the party allegedly played in the 2016 primaries. 

Opinion Polling in the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary:

Fmr. Vice Pres. Joe Biden -- 16% (-1%)
Sen. Bernie Sanders -- 12% (-2%)
Sen.-elect Beto O’Rourke -- 10% (--)
Sen. Elizabeth Warren -- 10% (+2%)
Sen. Kamala Harris -- 4% (+2%)
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand -- 3% (+1%)
Fmr. May. Michael Bloomberg -- 3% (--)
Fmr. Gov. Martin O’Malley -- 2% (-1%)
Sen. Cory Booker -- 2% (--)
Fmr. Sec. Julian Castro -- 2% (--)
Mr. Howard Schultz -- 2% (--)
Fmr. Gov. Deval Patrick -- 2% (+1%)
Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- 1% (+1%)
Sen. Sherrod Brown -- 1% (--)
Gov. Steve Bullock -- 1% (--)
Gov. Andrew Cuomo -- 1% (--)
May. Eric Garcetti -- 1% (--)
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard -- 1% (+1%)
Rep. John Delaney -- 0% (--)
Rep. Tim Ryan -- 0% (--)
Mayor Bill De Blasio -- 0% (--)
Undecided/Others -- 27% (-2%)

All images can be found on Wikimedia Commons, licenses shared below CC BY-SA 2.0 CC BY-SA 3.0
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »

Very excited to see how this tl progresses!
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 04:29:09 PM »

In all honesty I completely forgot you rebooted this
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies