Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canadian election maps  (Read 11098 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:27:16 PM »

I don't know how active I will be in making these, but I guess I should make a thread for any maps I make.

Here is a map of Ontario for the 1867 federal election (Canada's first election as a country)

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:33:35 PM »

Here's 1872. I had to make an educated guess for Muskoka however, as the description wasn't exactly clear.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »

Very interesting; could you explain some of the voting patterns?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:46:42 PM »

Very interesting; could you explain some of the voting patterns?

I was hoping you could shed some light on that, Al. Smiley This is interesting stuff, but unfortunately my knowledge is lacking as to exact voting patterns of the day.

The Conservatives won both elections, however 1872 was much closer. In Ontario, the Liberals picked up a lot of seats.

Results in Ontario:
1867 Cons 49, Lib 33
1872 Cons 39, Lib 49

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:58:26 PM »

I was hoping you could shed some light on that, Al. Smiley This is interesting stuff, but unfortunately my knowledge is lacking as to exact voting patterns of the day.

I was wondering how closely the voting patterns fitted in with where different groups of immigrants and all that settled... I've got some maps somewhere actually...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2006, 07:19:22 PM by Senator EarlAW »

I was wondering how closely the voting patterns fitted in with where different groups of immigrants and all that settled... I've got some maps somewhere actually...

This map might help: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/archives/1stedition/peopleandsociety/population/page29a_29b

Looks like the Irish voted Conservative and the English Liberal.

I should also note that the maps I made reflect the party's on the ballot (ie listed on the Parliament's website). In some cases people who ran as Liberal-Conservatives would end up sitting as a Liberal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »

Looks like the Irish voted Conservative and the English Liberal.

Yes (in general), although there doesn't seem to be a distinction between Irish Catholic and from what's now Northern Ireland. Methinks there might have been a big difference between the two. These elections were (IIRC anyway) before sectarianism became a big problem in Ontario though.

Looking at a map I've got (not entirely sure how accurate it is), areas of older English settlement in SW Ontario seem to have been more likely to vote Tory than areas of newer English settlement down there. Hmm...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »

Hashemite reminded me of this thread, and I posted this in the gallery but never here:

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »

Hashemite reminded me of this thread, and I posted this in the gallery but never here:

What is the name of the dark red part?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »

That looks like the area around Woodstock.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »

I like these threads. Smiley

Was the white area sparsely inhabited?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »

That looks like the area around Woodstock.

Oxford North, actually. So, close enough.

I like these threads. Smiley

Was the white area sparsely inhabited?

Pretty much. Perhaps a few logging camps and whatnot.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »

My dear Russell never elected a Tory federally after that. Lolz.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

1891:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

1896:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »

1900:

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »

It returns Smiley What a nice birthday present for me!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 04:20:05 PM »

1904. This one took a while. I had to add an inset for Northern Ontario and Toronto.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »

1911.. Conservative sweep

deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

The suggestion to look at the earlist settlement patterns makes excellent sense. Generally the Liberals got a lot of support from areas in Western Ontario that were Methodist - the old Clear Grit "Rep by Pop" tradition. Eastern Ontario was Tory - the Conservatives got strong support from Northern Irish (Protestant) and the Liberals from Irish Catholics as well as some immigrants such as Germans. Once voting paterns got settled I can follow small Irish Catholic settlements in Eastern Ontario which voted Liberal for decades of elections (e.g. Downeyville in Victoria, Stoco and Hanleys in Hastings).

Perhaps due to the National Policy, the Conservatives ran very well in small industrial towns like Thorold, Walkerville and Paris, as well as larger cities generally while Liberal support was more strongly rural (and in favour of lower tariffs). Some counties like Oxford were incredible Liberal strongholds.

I am glad to be the first to note the 1882 map which was the first under Sir John A's incredible gerrymander! It didn't help a great deal but if you compare boundaries to 1878 you will see a lot of changes in Western Ontario. He tried very hard!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »

The suggestion to look at the earlist settlement patterns makes excellent sense. Generally the Liberals got a lot of support from areas in Western Ontario that were Methodist - the old Clear Grit "Rep by Pop" tradition. Eastern Ontario was Tory - the Conservatives got strong support from Northern Irish (Protestant) and the Liberals from Irish Catholics as well as some immigrants such as Germans. Once voting paterns got settled I can follow small Irish Catholic settlements in Eastern Ontario which voted Liberal for decades of elections (e.g. Downeyville in Victoria, Stoco and Hanleys in Hastings).

Perhaps due to the National Policy, the Conservatives ran very well in small industrial towns like Thorold, Walkerville and Paris, as well as larger cities generally while Liberal support was more strongly rural (and in favour of lower tariffs). Some counties like Oxford were incredible Liberal strongholds.

I am glad to be the first to note the 1882 map which was the first under Sir John A's incredible gerrymander! It didn't help a great deal but if you compare boundaries to 1878 you will see a lot of changes in Western Ontario. He tried very hard!

Thanks for enlightening us on old voting patterns, definitely interesting. On a side note, does anybody have a map of the Catholic/Protestant division in Ontario in those days?

I hope Earl gets to Quebec and the Maritimes soon as you could have interesting patterns (though Quebec after WWI will be little fun or use).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »

I was wondering what the deal with Oxford was. Fascinating. And, I hypothesized about the Irish Protestants voting Conservative. Would explain why my Irish great grandmother (a proud Protestant) voted Conservative.

I dont know why Macdonald bothered with those gerrymanders, they didn't seem to help him that much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies