Is this the best racial classification possible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this the best racial classification possible?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is this the best racial classification possible?
probably

almost

maybe not

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Is this the best racial classification possible?  (Read 2406 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »

Most of these racial analysis classifications are moot anyways as they totally discount mixed"nephelim" Annunaki peoples.

2020 Most Admired and Eligible Bachelorette on Atlas Forums
Fake news. The Radical Left is not "eligible" by any reasonable definition.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »

Definitely, as it has the most peoples listed as white. As we know, whites have the most privilege, so the goal is to get as many white people as possible (to increase privileges) and as few non-white people. God willing, we will soon all identify as white.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »

God willing, we will soon all identify as white.
A more compassionate and modern approach to achieving Hiter's "master race". Hard pass.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:05 PM »

Cat people and dog people.

Just like what should have happened on the Census, MENA (Middle East & North Africa) should be a separate category from "White". Somalis should definitely NOT be in the "White" category lol - by any metric.

Both socially & culturally, people from the Middle East & North Africa are not viewed as being "White" (unless they are "white-passing"). Also, there are "white-passing" people from non-MENA backgrounds.

Osama bin Laden was definitely not viewed as being a "white guy" but according to this classification and the US census he would be. At the end of the day, race is arbitrary and NOT scientific. However, the concept of race has become an indelible part of society - especially in the United States.

Tbh it’s hard to draw a line between “white passing” MENA and “non white passing” MENA. I honestly think most MENA people look similar enough to Europeans (particularly Italians and Jews) and White Latinos to physically pass as white. They aren’t considered white due to cultural differences.
The average MENA person looks similar to Mohammed bin Salman. Pretty much no one would mistake MBS as being "white" - not even "Italian".

Also, there are many MENA people who are considered to be "Black" - at least by Western standards . For example, the Dutch model Imaan Hammam is of Egyptian & Moroccan ancestry but she would be considered to be a Black woman in the Western world and by most people walking past her on the street. She also considers herself to be a Black woman.

Furthermore, "A 2015 Census Bureau study found that, when given a survey with a “Middle Eastern and North African” (MENA) option, individuals from those regions who identified as white dropped from 85.5 percent to 20 percent. The study also concluded that including the MENA category in the census would be “optimal” and would improve the accuracy of the national head count for the community."

Adding onto Bismarck’s point- Bashar al-Assad (Syrian), Cenk Uygur (Turkish), and Ralph Nader (Lebanese and/or Palestinian) also look pretty “white” to me. But yeah, younger and more recent MENA diasporans don’t really self-identify as white.
Cenk Uygur doesn't necessarily look "white" to me. al-Assad and Nader do look white though.

Also, note due to history there is some European DNA influence (usually minor) in the MENA region. Remember that there is many different ethnic groups in the Middle East. Some had more direct contact with Europeans than others.

Anyways, this discussion is dragging on, so I'll leave it at that lol.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 01:24:36 AM »

It is the OMB that sets racial/ethnic classifications. Berkeley may just have been conforming to OMB standards for reporting purposes.

Recommendations From the Interagency Committee for the Review of the Racial and Ethnic Standards to the Office of Management and Budget Concerning Changes to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity (PDF)

Revisions to the Standards for theClassification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity (PDF)

The 1997 standards separated the Asian and the Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander categories. The Berkeley form only partially reflects that. The OMB permits more detailed categories but requires that they be aggregated into a simpler grouping.

When the Census Bureau was testing a MENA (Middle East and North Africa) classification, it was suggested that MENA could be a separate category, but would be reported as "white" for OMB purposes.

In symposiums with "experts" it was universally agreed that Egyptians, Libyans, and groups from Syria and Iraq southward into the Arabian peninsula should be included.

There was 90% or so support for inclusion of Iranians, Israelis, Armenians, and those from the Maghreb (some purists may have wanted it to mean "Arabic").

There was majority support for including Somali. It dropped off when suggestions such as groups from the Sahel (Chadean, Nigerien, etc. were included, as well as Afghan and Pakistani).
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2020, 07:56:21 AM »

This is of course purely anecdotal, but my sister's boyfriend, who is Moroccan and looks similar to Mohammed bin Salman (certainly more similar to him than to say, Bashar al-Assad), apparently considers himself "White".
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

TIL i'm white.
Common Sense Atlantan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »

There is only one race. The human race.
SInNYC

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »

Race is not color though they are often conflated in the US, probably because of our slavery history - there are many east Asians that are essentially the same color as Europeans.

Although discredited due to the way it was used, Huxley's classification of races (with some updates, including by him) is probably more sensible.

Dont take this to mean I'm disagreeing with those who point out that race doesnt really make any scientific sense.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 03:39:12 PM »

Race as a social and cultural construct and race as a genetic biological classification are very different, and it's probably not a good idea to hyper-focus on how exactly to classify everybody into groups.

Race is simply the acknowledgement of different phenotypes, which are determined genetically. I don't know why the left feels obligated to deny basic scientific facts when it comes to things like this; accepting the obvious reality of racial distinctions in no way entails racist beliefs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »

You cannot divide 600+ ethnic groups into 5 groups based on color. Let me still a phrase from an old friend of mine. "White was a creation by the Anglos to steal all the other cultures in Europe because they didn't have one of their own."

How about you don't blame us for your own deranged racial pathologies, Mr D-GA.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »

Race as a social and cultural construct and race as a genetic biological classification are very different, and it's probably not a good idea to hyper-focus on how exactly to classify everybody into groups.

Race is simply the acknowledgement of different phenotypes, which are determined genetically. I don't know why the left feels obligated to deny basic scientific facts when it comes to things like this; accepting the obvious reality of racial distinctions in no way entails racist beliefs.

Race is a categorization of phenotypes, so is the result of an interplay between genetics and historical conceptualizations.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »

Hispanic is not a race. It will never be a race. It is an ethnicity, a culture.
And it's not a separate race on the US Census.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »

This is of course purely anecdotal, but my sister's boyfriend, who is Moroccan and looks similar to Mohammed bin Salman (certainly more similar to him than to say, Bashar al-Assad), apparently considers himself "White".

Don't be so rude in describing South Italians.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 10:24:55 PM »

“Race” is dumb to use in any functional way, and we should prioritize ethnicities like our ancestors did.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »

The contemporary left being so race obsessed is deeply troubling.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »

Don't be so rude in describing South Italians.

Ok this one burns.

But seriously, he is actually Moroccan and was born in Morocco. However, for your information, I also have friends who are fully of Italian ancestry with basically that same skin tone.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2020, 03:40:34 AM »

Because classifying by phenotype is a pretty pseudoscientific method of taxonomy in general?

Moreover, the issue is that the vast majority of human "races" are not discrete blocs at all and have spent millennia breeding with each other and migrating elsewhere - there is no evidence, for example, to suggest that you can create a phylogenetic tree that splits the residents of Europe from Africa. The phenotypes that favour life in northern latitudes have been selected for multiple times.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2020, 04:45:56 AM »

The fact that it's an accepted truism in America--even among anti-racists!--that "race" is an actual thing at all, and that racial essentialism is today seen in some circles as a left-wing position, horrifies all my non-American friends.

Is it? From my personal experience (admittedly limited mainly to British people) is that mad American ideas about race are very much in vogue with a lot of younger people.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »

Hispanic is not a race. It will never be a race. It is an ethnicity, a culture.

Yeah, even if race is a social concept that varies from each society.

But to lump together the group with the biggest diversity on the world (With not only strong African, European and Indigenous influence, but also East Asian and Arab as well) as if they were all the same “Hispanic” is interesting because it shows how some places are not ready for mixed societies in practice because of how “European Whiteness” has been incorporated into the idea of a national identity.

The average Latino is someone who inherited influences from multiple places, even if it’s something that varies from each place (I think of Bolivia I think of strong Indigenous presence, Argentina has more of European, Haiti is very African, Many places are very mixed, etc). It’s a region occupied by immigrants from everywhere.

If latinos were all the same “Hispanic” race, then it wouldn’t exist racism here and we would be a racial democracy and yet we have openly racist groups in some places and privileges due to the skin color do exist very strongly and are reflected on social inequality.

Also, Hispanic = Spanish culture influence. Majority of Latinos + Spain are hispanic but Brazilians are not, we’re Lusophones because of the Portuguese influence. Some people disregard this by saying Hispanic is related to the whole Iberic peninsula influence but we know it’s a way to simply refer to Latinos as if they were all the same lol. Which isn’t true even when you’re talking about Spanish speaking Latino countries.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies