MO-SEN 2022 megathread: ERIC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:46:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-SEN 2022 megathread: ERIC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MO-SEN 2022 megathread: ERIC  (Read 35158 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 13, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »

My guess is Nixon loses. Senate races are more polarised than gubernatorial ones, as some here have said (there's no way KY or LA would have Democratic senators); he left office a while ago; his handling of the Ferguson protests likely hurt his popularity somewhat; 2022 won't be good for Democrats; and the nation is much more polarised than it was in 2024. Still - Nixon won reelection by more than 15% in a strong Romney state in a good GOP year, so while things have changed, this race should be one to watch if Nixon runs; the margin might (and this may be me hoping) be in the single digits or possibly even below 5%, though Nixon winning is probably still unlikely.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »

I have to remark on Blunt's unpopularity, given that it was the original topic of this thread.

Although I think Blunt would be favored in a Biden midterm, with numbers like this it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to retire rather than run for reelection. Blunt's approvals are no better than they were in 2016, when he almost lost to Jason Kander-and was rescued from defeat by Trump. Why exactly has Blunt always been so unpopular?

For the same reasons Mitch McConnell, of neighbouring KY, is: he's an aloof 'insider' who doesn't especially appeal to rural voters (or at least not nearly as much as Trump does), and who's not too good at campaiger (I'd say McConnell's better at it). Pollster describes Blunt's situation best:
Classic Washington insider in a state that despises insider politics in both parties, has a literal family of lobbyists, neither visible in the state (lives in DC and only owns a small condo in Springfield) nor a high-profile frequenter of national media, lackadaisical campaigner who is awkward in person, has a tendency to be very quick to campaign negatively in an off-putting way, uniquely poor rural outreach in a state where statewide candidates need it to be superb.

But there's a problem nonetheless for Missouri Democrats who think they can do the converse of what happened in 2018 (when a long-term Democratic senator lost reelection in a Republican midterm).
I don't think Kander running or not running (or even Nixon running or not running) while impact the outcome. MO's only become more polarized since 2016 (though Blunt did get a boost because Trump carried the state resoundingly that same day) and 2022 will be a Democratic midterm, which doesn't help Missouri Democrats. I agree with these quotes:
If even Claire McCaskill couldn't win re-election in 2018, there's no way any Democrat beats Roy Blunt in 2022, especially if Biden is President. Sorry, this one won't be too interesting.

Returning to the McConnell example - he's unpopular, but he's unpopular the same way Trump's unpopular with some suburban/religious voters (the word 'some' being key): they don't like him much as a person, and would prefer someone else, but they'll hold their nose and vote for him since he represents their interests (or at least more than his opponent does) and/or is better than a Democrat. There was noise that McGrath could beat McConnell, but funding doesn't cut it. McConnell's one of the most unpopular senators in the country, but KY's too red and too polarized to vote blue in a general election (gubernatorial elections are very different froms senatorial elections, especially in KY), and McConnell's too powerful to lose a primary. (Not that it matters - I think this term's going to be his last; he's in his seventh term.) Similarly, Kander and Nixon will also lose to Blunt. And a primary challenge, though it may gain a little traction, will fall flat at the end of the day.

Honestly, what'd be most interesting is what's about to happen - an open primary contest to determine Blunt's (Republican, doubtless) successor, since Blunt would win in both a primary and general, with his experience and establishment-ness being both a strength and weakness.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »

When Jay Nixon was attorney general of Missouri in the 1990s, he handled a school desegregation case badly, and that could potentially cost him a third Senate bid...he lost in 1988 and 1998......

If he wins the nomination, Cori Bush may not endorse him, she may leave the ballot blank and tell her supporters......Nixon would have to make inroads in to his former rural base and excite Black voters to come out in Columbia, STL and KC....basically the Nixon 2008/McCaskill 2006/McCaskill 2012/Koster 2012 map....probably even the Galloway 2018 map....since a lot of Carnahan/McCaskill/Nixon's base are gone....

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/16/cq/missouri.html
What about Obama 2008's map? He nearly won Missouri, and if the urban/suburban margin could be expanded slightly, that could mean victory. (Of course, it's unlikely that map gets regenerated again in 2022.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »

When Jay Nixon was attorney general of Missouri in the 1990s, he handled a school desegregation case badly, and that could potentially cost him a third Senate bid...he lost in 1988 and 1998......

If he wins the nomination, Cori Bush may not endorse him, she may leave the ballot blank and tell her supporters......Nixon would have to make inroads in to his former rural base and excite Black voters to come out in Columbia, STL and KC....basically the Nixon 2008/McCaskill 2006/McCaskill 2012/Koster 2012 map....probably even the Galloway 2018 map....since a lot of Carnahan/McCaskill/Nixon's base are gone....

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/16/cq/missouri.html
What about Obama 2008's map? He nearly won Missouri, and if the urban/suburban margin could be expanded slightly, that could mean victory. (Of course, it's unlikely that map gets regenerated again in 2022.)

Maybe. Nixon should not run, he is too outdated for the state, probably. The Dems should just run with Lucas Kunce or someone like that.

Agreed. But I don't think any Democrat can win in 2022, and Nixon may be able to narrow the margin. It's not like running will cost him a House seat or anything since he's in retirement. I think I want Nixon to run to see how he performs in rural areas that he won as governor. Will he do as poorly as Clinton and Biden? As well as he did as governor (most likely not)? What will be the result in suburban/rural areas? On the other hand, if they nominate a generic Democrat like Kunce, the results will be similarly generic, with the GOP winning by around 17 points. With Nixon it will be interesting to also see the overall margin of GOP victory (as I said - even Nixon can't resuce the Missouri Democrats; so it's really a question of the GOP margin). It will probably be 10-15 points.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies