The impossibility of another Great Awakening (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:43:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The impossibility of another Great Awakening (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The impossibility of another Great Awakening  (Read 623 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 10, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »

if we do get another one, I think it will begin with an inward look as evangelical churches reevaluate whether they have sold their spiritual heritage in pursuit of political power and thus become modern day Sadducees.  In any case, all prior Great Awakenings in the U.S. began with an inward examination of what the church was doing wrong and then the result of that flowed out from the church into society at large. So, I think another Great Awakening is quite possible, and if we do, Trump may well be responsible for it, just not in a way he would like, as I think it will likely be in response to churches evaluating where they went wrong in backing Trump and the Republican Party.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:10:20 PM »

if we do get another one, I think it will begin with an inward look as evangelical churches reevaluate whether they have sold their spiritual heritage in pursuit of political power and thus become modern day Sadducees.  In any case, all prior Great Awakenings in the U.S. began with an inward examination of what the church was doing wrong and then the result of that flowed out from the church into society at large. So, I think another Great Awakening is quite possible, and if we do, Trump may well be responsible for it, just not in a way he would like, as I think it will likely be in response to churches evaluating where they went wrong in backing Trump and the Republican Party.
The problem here is that I honestly doubt there is serious self-reflection going on to save Christianity in the United States. Inform me otherwise, but it seems that reformists are getting kicked out of the church for disapproving of Church lines on Gay Marriage. They also remain areas of mostly formal worship, dress shirt and shoes and all that, which is alienating to the laid back youth..

O ye of little faith!

First and foremost, while I do think that if a Great Awakening happens soon it will lead to the church becoming less political, you'll note I said almost nothing about its theology. Furthermore, the First Great Awakening was a reaction to the stuffy formal style of worship, so a Great Awakening need not be a return to the past. Indeed, it certainly won't be, since people don't need an Awakening to return to the past. None of the prior Great Awakenings involved getting people coming back to the church of their forefathers, but set the church on a new path that reinvigorated it. Now, if a return to the past is what you think a Great Awakening will entail, I agree that won't happen, as it never did that before.

Moreover, a Great Awakening need not make use of existing denominations, so if it were to happen, it wouldn't necessarily see a restrengthening of existing mainline or fundamentalist denominations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies