Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:24:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anyone else stunned at how far right Florida has shifted?  (Read 2553 times)
TodayJunior
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2022, 12:32:17 PM by TodayJunior »

I will also add that not having Florida in play makes it harder for Democrats to do anything. Eventually they will have to win there again somehow unless Democrats get their act together in places like Texas, Montana, and Arizona.

Is it though? Florida only went to trump by 3.3%. That’s hardly out of reach in a good year. I wish Dems wouldn’t throw in the towel here. Every statewide office sans Fried’s is Republican right now, and there’s no real accountability or checks and balances right now and we need it!

Republicans like to complain that Cali/NY/Illinois are one party states in complete disarray due to muh…..no accountability. All righty then….I’ll play that game. They need to look in the mirror in places like Texas/Florida/Deep South, etc. where they hardly are on firm ground when they argue they don’t have a seat at the table in solidly blue states.

I’d love to see an election like 1960 where almost all 50 states are in play.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »

I will also add that not having Florida in play makes it harder for Democrats to do anything. Eventually they will have to win there again somehow unless Democrats get their act together in places like Texas, Montana, and Arizona.

Is it though? Florida only went to trump by 3.3%. That’s hardly out of reach in a good year. I wish Dems wouldn’t throw in the towel here. Every statewide office sans Fried’s is Republican right now, and there’s no real accountability or checks and balances right now and we need it!

Republicans like to complain that Cali/NY/Illinois are one party states in complete disarray due to muh…..no accountability. All righty then….I’ll play that game. They need to look in the mirror in places like Texas/Florida/Deep South, etc. where they hardly are on firm ground when they argue they don’t have a seat at the table in solidly blue states.

Yeah, you're right. Somehow I feel like Democrats need more of a fighting mentality. I mean, they're discussing surrendering states that voted Republican by three points or in some cases even less, while Republicans contest states they lost by ten the last time.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Somehow I feel like Democrats need more of a fighting mentality. I mean, they're discussing surrendering states that voted Republican by three points or in some cases even less, while Republicans contest states they lost by ten the last time.

The problem in Florida for the Democrats is more than Miami-Dade though as keep in mind that Hillary won Miami-Dade by 30 points and still lost the state by over 100k votes. The main problems is that working class voters in Central Florida shifted hard to the right from 2012 to 2016(just like they did in the Rust Belt) and winning Florida requires a combination of getting Hillary 2016 Numbers in South Florida and getting near Obama 2012 numbers in Central numbers and that just is an extremely tough lift for any Democrat to do.

TwinGeeks99
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 11:20:55 PM »

Especially in 2024, Dems absolutely must at least try for Florida. That state and Texas are the only two pickup opportunities they have on that map, while they have near-guaranteed losses in a lot of other seats, including Joe Manchin. (if he doesn't cross the floor)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »

IDK not being totally dependent on the biggest states is probably good for Dems in the long run for turning votes into actual control.

Softening up MT/AK/KS/NE over the medium run is a better bet than trying to win back FL.  I would still say NC is worth the effort, though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 02:04:12 PM »

IDK not being totally dependent on the biggest states is probably good for Dems in the long run for turning votes into actual control.

Softening up MT/AK/KS/NE over the medium run is a better bet than trying to win back FL.  I would still say NC is worth the effort, though.

And maybe eventually Idaho. Basically any Perot-y states should be looked to to make up lost ground with Obama-Trump areas.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 02:14:47 PM »

Probably add UT to that list as well. And I know you've also been banging the drum about LA as a future Dem target.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »

Probably add UT to that list as well. And I know you've also been banging the drum about LA as a future Dem target.

My guess is that if Roe is overruled, it makes it easier for Democrats there as JBE shows that Democrats can be competitive if abortion wasn't an issue there though I imagine that though National Democrats will back off on things like late term abortion, they aren't going to just give up on it. That could complicate things but it would be a better situation for Louisiana Democrats.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies