COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:31:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 406 407 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 538386 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10025 on: February 12, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »

I will say the double masking and requiring masks even outdoors in Peru has done nothing to slow the spread there.
The weirdest I’ve seen is a lot of higher risk people doubling or even tripling up ineffective masks like neck gators and the blue surgical masks. It puzzles me why they don’t just use an N95 if they are that worried.
compucomp

« Reply #10026 on: February 12, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »

I will say the double masking and requiring masks even outdoors in Peru has done nothing to slow the spread there.
The weirdest I’ve seen is a lot of higher risk people doubling or even tripling up ineffective masks like neck gators and the blue surgical masks. It puzzles me why they don’t just use an N95 if they are that worried.

The effective combination should be cloth mask on top, surgical mask underneath. The main issue with surgical masks is that they have large gaps on the sides and the bottom, so if you put the cloth mask on top of the surgical mask it seals up the gaps and the result is an effective double mask. I remember in late 2020 estimates had the double mask at 80-90% effectiveness at filtration.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10027 on: February 12, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »

Why do you think vaccination rates in 5-12-year-olds are lagging, compared to older minors after they were eligible for the vaccine for the same amount of time?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10028 on: February 12, 2022, 12:21:33 PM »

Wearing a mask outdoors is hysterical behavior that has much more in common with a phobia than “being cautious.”
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10029 on: February 12, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »

Wearing a mask outdoors is hysterical behavior that has much more in common with a phobia than “being cautious.”

I stay far away from people who wear masks outdoors. They're obviously not quite right in the head.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10030 on: February 12, 2022, 12:53:46 PM »

Most of us conservatives want to go back to normal like it was in 2019. This means no masks and restrictions at all. I find it very disturbing how a good amount of people are content wearing a mask in public for the rest of their lives, which is fine its their right, but don't force it on us normal people who are moving on.
compucomp

« Reply #10031 on: February 12, 2022, 01:36:46 PM »

I stay far away from people who wear masks outdoors. They're obviously not quite right in the head.

LMAO, this is a new one, practicing social distancing to own the libs? Which is exactly what they want you to do?

I think the recent uptick in outdoor masking is because it also serves as a face warmer and the weather has been cold.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10032 on: February 12, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »

LMAO, this is a new one, practicing social distancing to own the libs? Which is exactly what they want you to do?

I think the recent uptick in outdoor masking is because it also serves as a face warmer and the weather has been cold.

Everyone has always practiced voluntary social distancing of one sort or another. Certain people are undesirable to be around and for me, those people are anti vaxxers/forever maskers.

Mandated social distancing of any form is appalling.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10033 on: February 12, 2022, 02:24:18 PM »

For some good news, here's an updated map of the 14-day trend in case numbers by state. 10% increments starting at zero (so, 30% = 1-9% growth/decrease, 40% = 10-19% growth/decrease, etc.).

That was Thursday, this is today:

As of today - it's so pretty!

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10034 on: February 12, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »

I hope wearing a mask in the parking lot is OK with you guys. Because I do that.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10035 on: February 12, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »

I hope wearing a mask in the parking lot is OK with you guys. Because I do that.
It's VERY important that they wait until they're 2 feet in the door or an establishment before putting the mask on, otherwise they aren't virtue signalling to everybody that they aren't a lib.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #10036 on: February 12, 2022, 04:20:50 PM »

It's VERY important that they wait until they're 2 feet in the door or an establishment before putting the mask on, otherwise they aren't virtue signalling to everybody that they aren't a lib.

In Scandinavia, wearing masks outside has more or less never been a thing (and would look utterly bizarre to most people), nor has wearing masks in schools ever been widespread. All restrictions have now been removed, and somehow society hasn't collapsed. It's really fascinating (and sad) observing the mass hysteria so widespread among American leftists.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10037 on: February 12, 2022, 04:22:29 PM »

In Scandinavia, wearing masks outside has more or less never been a thing (and would look utterly bizarre to most people), nor has wearing masks in schools ever been widespread. All restrictions have now been removed, and somehow society hasn't collapsed. It's really fascinating (and sad) observing the mass hysteria so widespread among American leftists.
Sad stuff. I really love Scandinavia and Finland, but I love science more.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10038 on: February 12, 2022, 04:25:40 PM »

Scandinavia and Finland are pretty clearly following the science. Masks outdoors make no sense and masks in schools are absolutely despicable.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10039 on: February 12, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »

Big difference though between wearing one makes no sense and wearing one => insane.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10040 on: February 12, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »

Big difference though between wearing one makes no sense and wearing one => insane.

Wearing a mask outdoors is absolutely a sign of neurosis. It makes no sense from a scientific or sociological pov. (No, I'm obviously not talking about walking from the car to the store, I'm talking about people who mask when walking down a street, at parks, or trails. Thought that was evident.)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10041 on: February 12, 2022, 04:30:39 PM »

Scandinavia and Finland are pretty clearly following the science. Masks outdoors make no sense and masks in schools are absolutely despicable.
Masks in schools are important. I've never been a fan of outdoor mask mandates, personally, once you understand how the virus works. I don't like people walking by me breathing on me during the pandemic so I sometimes wear a mask on a busy street as to "do unto others as you'd prefer they do unto you". Sometimes I'm walking from a place where I need to wear a mask to another place where I need to wear a mask, so sometimes I'm just too lazy to take it off and put it back on again. It's really not a big deal. People that get triggered by that make me laugh (not accusing you).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10042 on: February 12, 2022, 05:24:51 PM »

Libs, meanwhile, wear the mask outside until they're two feet into the restaurant, then they take it off. COVID only spreads when you're walking to your table, you know.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #10043 on: February 12, 2022, 05:29:06 PM »

Masks in schools are important. I've never been a fan of outdoor mask mandates, personally, once you understand how the virus works. I don't like people walking by me breathing on me during the pandemic so I sometimes wear a mask on a busy street as to "do unto others as you'd prefer they do unto you". Sometimes I'm walking from a place where I need to wear a mask to another place where I need to wear a mask, so sometimes I'm just too lazy to take it off and put it back on again. It's really not a big deal. People that get triggered by that make me laugh (not accusing you).

Yeah, I live in a big city where as far as I know there is no outdoor mask mandate and every time I go outside I estimate that about 75% of the people still voluntarily wear their masks outdoors. It's not really a big deal. Of course most city streets are pretty crowded so I get why one could be unconfortable not wearing it, I'm not talking about a rural area here. In any case, being this triggered about someone using a mask is pretty bizarre, I mean, who cares? The amount of whining over this nonsense in this thread sometimes baffles me.

And for the record I only use a mask where I'm required to and to be honest I haven't even though about Covid that much in the past 6 months except for planning my Euro trip.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10044 on: February 12, 2022, 05:42:50 PM »

I wear it outside because I’m lazy and forgetful, but don’t worry, I wouldn’t want to be with you anyways.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10045 on: February 12, 2022, 05:53:36 PM »

Also imma post these for fun:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10046 on: February 12, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »

I genuinely hope masks stay as a fashion thing. Not because I like it, but ONLY because it will be a very slight bit of joy in an otherwise dark time (the early RP state will be the worst prolly) to see the conservatives getting upset.

Yes my parents may be gone, I may be in a cell, but at least the cons will be a bit triggered.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #10047 on: February 12, 2022, 06:55:33 PM »

It has come to the forum managers attention that some people are not pronouncing 'Omicron' correctly.

They have asked me to make a small presentation on the correct annunciation of 'Omicron'.

Pronouncing Omicron

https://youtu.be/-GjMbMQGOpA

actually idk how is the right pronounce but would be omicròn, how is read in modern greek, òmicron, in not relevant because this is choice from the ancient greek
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10048 on: February 12, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »

I still call it the South Africa variant instead of using these contrived code names.
But…then what would beta have been?

Lmfao you literally picked the one country that had two major variants to make your point.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10049 on: February 12, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »

In 100 years, is everyone going to think covid was created in Greece because of all these variant names?
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 406 407 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies