COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552891 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9150 on: January 12, 2022, 05:19:03 PM »

This is long, long overdue, and the fact that it will trigger the sh**t out of this forum is a pretty sweet bonus.

The White House says it is considering offering ‘high-quality’ masks to Americans.

The White House on Wednesday said that it was considering a program to offer “high-quality” masks to Americans as the highly transmissible Omicron variant of the coronavirus spreads through the nation.

“We’re in the process right now of strongly considering options,” Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House Covid-19 response coordinator, told reporters at a regularly scheduled news briefing on the pandemic. He offered no details about what type of masks might be distributed, how many or when.

The White House has not yet settled on what the program will look like, according to people familiar with the discussions. One option would be making the masks available at community sites, one person familiar with the planning said.

So basically WH indirectly admit that normie masks doesn't work (and never did). N95 gives at least some defense.

Though, this wave is likely over in couple of weeks, so 90% of people will be "vaccinated" anyway.
compucomp

« Reply #9151 on: January 12, 2022, 05:20:14 PM »

This is long, long overdue, and the fact that it will trigger the sh**t out of this forum is a pretty sweet bonus.

The White House says it is considering offering ‘high-quality’ masks to Americans.

The White House on Wednesday said that it was considering a program to offer “high-quality” masks to Americans as the highly transmissible Omicron variant of the coronavirus spreads through the nation.

“We’re in the process right now of strongly considering options,” Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House Covid-19 response coordinator, told reporters at a regularly scheduled news briefing on the pandemic. He offered no details about what type of masks might be distributed, how many or when.

The White House has not yet settled on what the program will look like, according to people familiar with the discussions. One option would be making the masks available at community sites, one person familiar with the planning said.

Literally nobody will be "triggered" by people being sent masks they can simply choose not to wear if they don't want, other than perhaps you being triggered over scenarios that exist only in your mind.

Oh, I'm sure you are wrong about this. How many times have we heard here that masks are a symbol of the pandemic and that even seeing people voluntarily wear them changes the atmosphere of any setting and affects mental health etc? Why do so many complain here about seeing people wear masks outdoors? Clearly the anti-mask posters here are by now offended by the very sight of masks. How better to trigger them than to literally send them some of the hated masks right to their mailboxes?

Complaining about being required =/= complaining about having on hand. Again, you are upsetting yourself over notions you have decided to create entirely on your own.

Go back through this thread and you'll find many posts complaining about people voluntarily wearing masks. Posts saying "Ugh why in my deep blue area do people wear masks outdoors?" Posts saying how masks are a symbol of the pandemic. Maybe anti-mask sentiment on this forum started out as anti-mandate but by now it is firmly anti-mask, to the point that they'd probably join in those mask-burning protests. They're going to have a rude awakening when they see those masks in the mail.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9152 on: January 12, 2022, 05:23:15 PM »

Ugh why in my deep blue area do people wear masks outdoors?

Mask outdoor?  Angry
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9153 on: January 12, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »

All the people here screeching about why masks are no big deal because "it's just a piece of cloth, who cares?" are way missing the point and using a pretty absurd argument. We could say the same thing about hijabs, they're also just a piece of cloth and most women who wear them don't think it's a big deal. But I'm sure no one here approves of countries that require women to wear a hijab, and if anyone proposed that women be required to wear a hijab in a majority Muslim area of any US city (yes zero chance of that occurring but hypotheticals don't need to be realistic) everyone would call it absurd and be opposed.

"But that's completely different! That's a religious thing as opposed to a public health one and masks provide these public health benefits that hijabs clearly don't, etc. etc."

Then the arguments should be based around how these public benefits from masks are important and defending mask mandates on the objective grounds of how they provide these, not just "LOL, it's just a piece of cloth, why do you care?"
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9154 on: January 12, 2022, 05:37:57 PM »

All the people here screeching about why masks are no big deal because "it's just a piece of cloth, who cares?" are way missing the point and using a pretty absurd argument. We could say the same thing about hijabs, they're also just a piece of cloth and most women who wear them don't think it's a big deal. But I'm sure no one here approves of countries that require women to wear a hijab, and if anyone proposed that women be required to wear a hijab in a majority Muslim area of any US city (yes zero chance of that occurring but hypotheticals don't need to be realistic) everyone would call it absurd and be opposed.

"But that's completely different! That's a religious thing as opposed to a public health one and masks provide these public health benefits that hijabs clearly don't, etc. etc."

Then the arguments should be based around how these public benefits from masks are important and defending mask mandates on the objective grounds of how they provide these, not just "LOL, it's just a piece of cloth, why do you care?"

I can't believe it's two years into the pandemic and people are still arguing about whether masks help prevent the spread or not.  This is why I've started to simply lose interest in politics and current events lately, because it's just the same arguments over and over and over again and they never go anywhere.  Nobody is ever capable of changing their mind on anything or being convinced by anything, and even if they temporarily are, they revert back within a matter of hours.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9155 on: January 12, 2022, 05:46:41 PM »

I can't believe it's two years into the pandemic and people are still arguing about whether masks help prevent the spread or not.  This is why I've started to simply lose interest in politics and current events lately, because it's just the same arguments over and over and over again and they never go anywhere.  Nobody is ever capable of changing their mind on anything or being convinced by anything, and even if they temporarily are, they revert back within a matter of hours.

I'm not disputing that masks help prevent the spread, just saying the arguments in this thread in their favor are really stupid.

Also even the opponents of mask mandates don't really disagree with that and didn't oppose them a year ago, they're mostly just of the mindset that they're vaccinated and thus it's unnecessary.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9156 on: January 12, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »

Literally nobody will be "triggered" by people being sent masks they can simply choose not to wear if they don't want, other than perhaps you being triggered over scenarios that exist only in your mind.

Oh, I'm sure you are wrong about this. How many times have we heard here that masks are a symbol of the pandemic and that even seeing people voluntarily wear them changes the atmosphere of any setting and affects mental health etc? Why do so many complain here about seeing people wear masks outdoors? Clearly the anti-mask posters here are by now offended by the very sight of masks. How better to trigger them than to literally send them some of the hated masks right to their mailboxes?

Complaining about being required =/= complaining about having on hand. Again, you are upsetting yourself over notions you have decided to create entirely on your own.

Go back through this thread and you'll find many posts complaining about people voluntarily wearing masks. Posts saying "Ugh why in my deep blue area do people wear masks outdoors?" Posts saying how masks are a symbol of the pandemic. Maybe anti-mask sentiment on this forum started out as anti-mandate but by now it is firmly anti-mask, to the point that they'd probably join in those mask-burning protests. They're going to have a rude awakening when they see those masks in the mail.

Whatever delusion helps you sleep I guess.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #9157 on: January 12, 2022, 06:18:19 PM »

I will say that I’m of the mindset that cloth masks *don’t* do much against Omicron, and that expecting every American to wear an N95 in an indoor setting is untenable. There’s a lot of theater involved here.

That said, fine, sure, send every American a better mask than most have. It’s not going to solve the problem in the way mandatory COVID sick leave would, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9158 on: January 12, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »

Maybe anti-mask sentiment on this forum started out as anti-mandate but by now it is firmly anti-mask, to the point that they'd probably join in those mask-burning protests. They're going to have a rude awakening when they see those masks in the mail.
Why would I complain about being sent more kindling?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9159 on: January 12, 2022, 06:53:06 PM »

I will say that I’m of the mindset that cloth masks *don’t* do much against Omicron, and that expecting every American to wear an N95 in an indoor setting is untenable. There’s a lot of theater involved here.

That said, fine, sure, send every American a better mask than most have. It’s not going to solve the problem in the way mandatory COVID sick leave would, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand the recent push for N95 and KN95 masks. They are uncomfortable to wear, and I'm not sure if the benefits which they may confer outweigh the disadvantages inherent to them.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9160 on: January 12, 2022, 06:54:56 PM »

The abandonment of contact tracing over the past week is the most telling local development in Vermont. The news that schools will no longer bother with it has received plenty of jeering, but it's just forced the better-informed to explain that there is no longer any benefit to that expense. It seems like a real turning point.
I wish New York did this...
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9161 on: January 12, 2022, 07:19:48 PM »

The abandonment of contact tracing over the past week is the most telling local development in Vermont. The news that schools will no longer bother with it has received plenty of jeering, but it's just forced the better-informed to explain that there is no longer any benefit to that expense. It seems like a real turning point.
I wish New York did this...

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Hundred Year Winter ending any time soon in Narnia.
I know my state can be pretty f***ing stupid about this pandemic, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't want them to do it
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9162 on: January 12, 2022, 07:31:28 PM »

how can people even believe this will ever end anymore

that anything will ever get better

it won't, everything is ed, always has been and always will be
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9163 on: January 12, 2022, 07:52:26 PM »

For the record this is what I support instead of mask mandates: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/01/12/minneapolis-st-paul-to-require-restaurant-goers-to-show-proof-of-vaccination-or-negative-test

This is awesome and should've come before reinstating the mask mandate last week (that is widely ignored anyway.)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9164 on: January 12, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »

Things are already much better. Deaths are way down, omicron is mild. The problem now is getting the 30-35% of brainwashed hypochondriacs out of eternal COVID mode.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9165 on: January 12, 2022, 08:03:44 PM »

For the record this is what I support instead of mask mandates: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/01/12/minneapolis-st-paul-to-require-restaurant-goers-to-show-proof-of-vaccination-or-negative-test

This is awesome and should've come before reinstating the mask mandate last week (that is widely ignored anyway.)

How awesome!  Now you've got to show a vaccine card everywhere you go AND cover your fully vaccinated face.  That's two interventions that will do absolutely nothing for anyones health.  Were you not just bragging to me less than two weeks ago about how your beautiful blue state metro had no restrictions and life was totally normal?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9166 on: January 12, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »

How awesome!  Now you've got to show a vaccine card everywhere you go AND cover your fully vaccinated face.  That's two interventions that will do absolutely nothing for anyones health.  Were you not just bragging to me less than two weeks ago about how your beautiful blue state metro had no restrictions and life was totally normal?
I support vaccine mandates because they don't harm me and anti-vaxxers are f[inks]ing trash who deserve no sympathy. So anti-vaxxers are inconvenienced? Why the f[inks] should I care?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9167 on: January 12, 2022, 08:16:05 PM »

I support vaccine mandates because they don't harm me and anti-vaxxers are f[inks]ing trash who deserve no sympathy. So anti-vaxxers are inconvenienced? Why the f[inks] should I care?

You do a disservice to Christians everywhere by identifying as one with the way you speak about others.  I know, you don’t care because blah blah brain infected by politics.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9168 on: January 12, 2022, 08:18:08 PM »

You do a disservice to Christians everywhere by identifying as one with the way you speak about others.  I know, you don’t care because blah blah brain infected by politics.
Anti-vaxxers are basically modern day Pharisees or temple money changers. I can't see Jesus going easy on them. They also violate Matthew 4:7.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #9169 on: January 12, 2022, 09:10:24 PM »

I support vaccine mandates, but I don't really like this way of going about it. It puts the burden of enforcement onto the working class, who already have to deal with enough crap. I've worked retail throughout the pandemic, and I couldn't imagine having to try and get people in my area to show vaxx cards to enter the store. I think it's a good idea in theory, but working people shouldn't have to deal with anti-vaxx crazies who won't show a card. Government mandates should be enforced by the government.
compucomp

« Reply #9170 on: January 12, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »

I don't understand the recent push for N95 and KN95 masks. They are uncomfortable to wear, and I'm not sure if the benefits which they may confer outweigh the disadvantages inherent to them.

I agree they can be uncomfortable to wear, particularly it can be hard to breathe sometimes, but worn properly they address the main complaint about lower grade masks, that they don't protect the wearer. The filter also works in both directions so it will also dramatically cut transmission, assuming the mask doesn't have a valve like many sold in hardware stores. COVID will still spread when people gather in private and take off their masks, but if they are worn in a public space that public space should be safe.

The delusional ones are the people on this forum who are convinced that the pandemic is over and that COVID-19 is not a threat anymore, despite 1m cases a day and new record hospitalizations every day, blocking out the news or convincing themselves it's all fake. Imagine their shock and dismay when they receive N95 masks in the mail from the federal government, doubtless accompanied by a postcard encouraging continued social distancing and masking, a vivid undeniable reminder that in fact the pandemic is still raging and that they should be taking it seriously.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9171 on: January 12, 2022, 09:29:12 PM »

Things are already much better. Deaths are way down, omicron is mild. The problem now is getting the 30-35% of brainwashed hypochondriacs out of eternal COVID mode.

Deaths are not way down, thousands of people are dying everyday, unnecessarily. If more people are catching omicron and it's less deadly is another matter but way too many Americans are still dying of this everyday.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9172 on: January 12, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »

I agree they can be uncomfortable to wear, particularly it can be hard to breathe sometimes, but worn properly they address the main complaint about lower grade masks, that they don't protect the wearer. The filter also works in both directions so it will also dramatically cut transmission, assuming the mask doesn't have a valve like many sold in hardware stores. COVID will still spread when people gather in private and take off their masks, but if they are worn in a public space that public space should be safe.

The delusional ones are the people on this forum who are convinced that the pandemic is over and that COVID-19 is not a threat anymore, despite 1m cases a day and new record hospitalizations every day, blocking out the news or convincing themselves it's all fake. Imagine their shock and dismay when they receive N95 masks in the mail from the federal government, doubtless accompanied by a postcard encouraging continued social distancing and masking, a vivid undeniable reminder that in fact the pandemic is still raging and that they should be taking it seriously.
People are upset because they're vaccinated and don't want to be restricted anymore. I have no problem with restricting the unvaccinated, they could be treated like Vichy collaborationists we're in post-WW2 France and I wouldn't give a sh!t, but people who aren't derange morons and did the right thing shouldn't be punished because so many other people are mentally deficient pieces of trash who take things like QAnon, Joe Rogan and Alex Jones seriously and all the other conspiracy garbage these moronic mouthbreathers believe in.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9173 on: January 12, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »

Genuine question: Do you even want the country ever to transition out of pandemic mode?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9174 on: January 12, 2022, 09:48:22 PM »

Imagine their shock and dismay when they receive N95 masks in the mail from the federal government, doubtless accompanied by a postcard encouraging continued social distancing and masking

Anti-maskers when they open their mail to find their federal-issue N95

"How's Annie?"
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies